PDA

View Full Version : County or CWD?

JumpinBean17
Oct. 3, 2010, 09:00 PM
So I have been dreaming of getting a County for a year now... and then I rode in a CWD... wow, what do you guys prefer, CWD or County does anyone know of the pro's/cons of one vs. the other. I am vetting out my dream horse this week and if all goes well (fingers crossed) Ill be starting my search for a saddle, so im researching now!

spmoonie
Oct. 3, 2010, 09:24 PM
I am the owner of a County, but have ridden in many CWD's. My personal preference would be the CWD. I like the generally narrow twist, and the overall balance better. However, I do enjoy my County too. I dont have any complaints about either brand. With the more expensive custom brands, its really a matter of personal preference because the quality of either will be exceptional.

Concetta
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:21 PM
So I have been dreaming of getting a County for a year now... and then I rode in a CWD... wow, what do you guys prefer, CWD or County does anyone know of the pro's/cons of one vs. the other. I am vetting out my dream horse this week and if all goes well (fingers crossed) Ill be starting my search for a saddle, so im researching now!

COUNTY! 100% ....most importantly for how well they fit the horses and they are wool flocked which is supposed to be better for their backs...just recently got a County Innovation and a Stabilzer and they are just amazing for me and all of my horses...i've had my share of nice saddles such as a Bruno Delgrange,and Prestige Hunter Classic most recently ...the County is just a lovely saddle and impeccably made/excellent quality,craftmanship,and extremely comfortable

doublesstable
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:33 PM
There must be some madness to all this saddle stuff. I ride at a BNT Hunter/Equ barn and everyone has a Devoucoux or a CWD. I don't think it's about "what's it".. it's about function and how well a good saddle works.

I rode in both and prefer the CWD for my body type and it fits my horse well. Those that like the Devoucoux better said they didn't like the wider twist of the CWD. I don't think the twist was wider, maybe higher.

I cannot comment on the County but know I'm buying a CWD Full Calf leather.. Really grippy and this saddle puts my leg in a perfect place....

Go Fish
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:02 AM
My next saddle will be a CWD. Wow, wow, wow!

I had a bad experience trying to buy a County about 10 years ago. Perhaps they have improved their quality control since then, but I wouldn't have given you $500 for the custom saddle I ordered. I sent it back and said "no thanks."

Across Sicily
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:45 AM
Well, it comes down to what you like. I know a number of people who loathe the CWDs and some who hate the Countys. All about personal preference.

If I liked them both equally, and they both put my leg in the perfect spot, etc., I'd probably do a County if you can get the rep to actually appear. I've had 2 Countys and would have most likely gotten a 3rd if my rep had shown up when he said he was going to... but really, chasing someone down to try and buy something from them for a MONTH is ridiculous. If County doesn't want my money, well, fine - I've had good customer service in the past, but this time around it just wasn't happening. Guess it depends on your rep.

With that said I personally know people who have had a terrible time with CWD... sometimes it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Anyway, with that being said, sit in both and see which one you like better. Chances are one will win out over the other in some way and your decision will be easy. :)

JB
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:33 AM
Having ridden in both, IMHO they are not similar enough to say one or the other without sitting in them.

They are similar in shape, so tend to fit the same type of horse. But that is very different from fitting the rider. I really liked the 2 Stabilizer models, but hated, with a passion, the taller pommel of the CWD.

BAC
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:55 PM
You really need to try both and pick which one is most comfortable for you and your horse. Personally I find the quality and appearance of CWD's leather superior to County, which I don't like at all.

FYI, CWD offers the option of wool flocking, if that is your preference. Wool does conform to the shape of the horse its being used on though, so if you plan to ride multiple horses you would probably be better off with foam panels which adapts to the horse it is being used on but then springs back into its original form until its put on the next horse. Wool is not better for their backs, but it is faster and less expensive to adjust than foam.

And for the poster who mentioned CWD's taller pommel, they also have a more conventional pommel too. CWD seems to offer more options than most other high end saddle makers. I have had great customer service from them and love my saddle, which I have had for 5+ years now.

Just Not Native
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:26 AM
Sent you a PM

horsepoor
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:26 PM
Around here, the choice would be influenced greatly on the ability and availability of the local rep. The County rep here is good; the CWD rep...well, the County rep probably counts her lucky stars that this particular person is doing the CWD as it has kept them from taking much of her business here!

I have only sat in one CWD and didn't care for it much, but that isn't a fair evaluation, I'm sure. It does come down to trying the saddles on your horse and seeing which you and the horse like the best.

Forgot to say that I have had several County saddles and been happy for the most part with the saddles and the service.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:45 PM
I find County either fits the rider or doesn't. I ride in my trainer's countys when I absolutely have to, but they all have such wide twists- it really starts to hurt my hips after a while.

IME, you're asking if you should buy a mercedes or a bmw. Both are really nice, but they're absolutely different, and definitely better suited to different types of riders. Sit in both and decide what you like best.

sptraining
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:45 PM
I was speaking with an Hermes rep the other day and she said that the CWD's marketing strategy is aggressive and ruthless. It's probably why you'll see entire barns full of the brand. She said she's never had an issue with Dev or Antares on a business level...

It just depends on what fits you and your horse, and what you can find at the time. All I can say is that I'm riding in a County saddle that's pushing 10 years and it is in phenomenal shape. I had it reflocked. My horse and I love it.

kkmggn
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:01 PM
DEFINATLY get a cwd