PDA

View Full Version : Bechtolsheiner/Mistral

spirithorse
Oct. 3, 2010, 07:19 PM
I realize that everyone is gaa gaa over Totilas/Gal:lol:

Irrespective of that, I would like for folks to watch Ms. Bechtolsheiner in her tests. The Gran Prix, Gran Prix Special and Gran Prix Freestyle are posted on YouTube.

To your individual perspective: Which test does the horse and rider appear to be more relaxed and present the best test? [in your opinion]

The reason I ask, is simply if we observe her rides with an open mind, I believe one can see the actual impact the rider has upon the presentation of the horse. There are some obvious changes that occur between the tests.

princessfluffybritches
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:27 PM
My hubby taped it off NBC (?), the freestyle, and I didn't care for her ride because she kept jerking her right hand. And during all her passage/piaffes, the horse appeared to hold his left knee up longer than the right knee.

I think for her and all the others, by the time they had the freestyle, all these horses were tired. I think it's alot of work for them and it appears that they all were excellent at the GP, in which they were all fresh, but in the freestyle, it seems that they all needed more hand and more leg , and they all were spending more time behind the vertical. Anyone note this too?

It seems to me that the only rider that needed the least amount of hand and leg encouragement was Fuego, who still looked pretty fresh.

nls
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:14 PM
I have to say after watching her there for all three rides I am now "gaga" over the pair and think their rides showed some of the best fluidity and partnership there. Maybe it was the surprise factor of seeing them for the first time that made me like the first rides better than the freestyle. I haven't had time to watch the recordings yet. Whatever it was, she has a new fan. I thought watching them as a pair was an experience on par with seeing Totilas. I think she has the "misfortune" of showing against Totilas and if it weren't for that, we would be hearing a lot more hype about them. Fortunately, being so young, I think we will be hearing about her for years to come and that she will be one of the sport super stars. Close third in my memories was that wonderful showboat of a ride by the Spaniard! Now that, I can't wait to see again!

ArabDiva
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
I love this pair. Beautiful rider and stellar, solid mare.

spirithorse
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:51 PM
Nice to see there are some eyes on this forum.
Yes she had movements in her hands and caused some minor errors in presentation, however, the overall performances, were in my humble opinion, more correct than Totilas/Gal

kwmred
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have watched her ride several times. Only subscribed to FEI TV for 24 hours starting at 7:00 pm Friday night. Watched the VODs and probably watched the final 5 freestyles 4 times.

I love to see a good mare competing at the top!

I know I'm not answering your question, but right now I'm too lazy to go look again for the differences.

Xanthoria
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:18 PM
Mistral Hojris is a gelding.

shea'smom
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:23 PM
Mistral is not a mare.
I was able to watch their warmup and it was gorgeous. She started out like a quality hunter, lovely stretching, very relaxed and then gradually put him together and he was awesome. I heard someone else mention some pulling on laura's part during the test, but their was none of that in the warmup. I would guess he got a bit wound up/tired.
Fantastic pair in my opinion.

NOMIOMI1
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:27 PM
I think at times she looked nervous as hell :) (reasonable to be sure)

They were a lovely pair, and I think they really did an amazing job, but the polish was missing and I also saw some jerking hands.

My biggest issue with her freestyle was the changes of bend, I could SEE the horses nose jerk (doesnt help that the horse has a lighter face), but it was pretty messy.

A few times the horse seemed like the tempo was lost or labored, and a couple of time he looked like he would stall out.

Of course its got its fair highs to go with these, and she deserves the place she got, but I'd not place her above Toto on a bad day even... Not just yet.

netg
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:47 PM
but I'd not place her above Toto on a bad day even... Not just yet.

I'm guessing we probably have the same amount of training toward our judging certifications, but I agree with you. ;)

I much prefer Laura and Alf, just in that Toto isn't my style. But I think he was far more perfect and precise in just about everything he did. I was actually surprised by the amount of polish Laura had, as it was more than I expected from her training videos - they are definitely still training and learning. But I love the pair.

spirithorse
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:15 PM
I am enjoying your responses, however, how many observed the differences in how she rode the three tests? I found one of them really more correct than the other two because she appeared to be more relaxed.