PDA

View Full Version : Bending Lines in the Eq

EAY
Oct. 2, 2010, 04:04 PM
Watching the Capital Challenge live feed got me thinking again about whether or not a lead swap in a bending line is penalized in equitation. If it's not penalized, do you get extra points for holding the lead you land on? Does it make any difference how long the line is?

What about in the hunters?

supershorty628
Oct. 2, 2010, 04:21 PM
I was taught to hold the lead I landed unless it was an obvious bend, in which case an early (and deliberate) swap was okay, although still not as good as holding the lead. Whether I managed to do that is another story ;). It's always preferable to land on the correct lead and hold it.

I saw on the live feed a lot of swaps that were the last stride or were in that bending 4, which I think would be penalized.

Trilogy48
Oct. 2, 2010, 05:46 PM
I was taught that if you jump the line straight (without the bend and angling either the in or out jump), then a lead change is not necessary. If you are going to put an obvious bend in the line, then yes, a lead change is necessary if you do not land on the correct one. However, the change needs to be at the point in which you change direction; I agree with supershorty, that a lead change in the last stride will be penalized.

I've never herd of the amount of strides mattering, but I could be wrong.

For what its worth, I've always asked for the correct lead to hold because my horse is notorious for stepping out of his lead. ;)

LetsChat
Oct. 2, 2010, 08:44 PM
I was taught hold the lead. I too watched the Eq classes today and the thing is, Indoors there was a bending 9 or so, some people held the "wrong" lead but since they were so direct they ended up a little deep kind of going into the wall and that when the horse swaps right before. Some people did do nice lead changes and some cross cantered, I think the best placing horses held the lead. It's so great to be able to see all these classes.... Learn a lot from watching people ride. And it's a lot less stressful ;) Give all the riders props today, lots of nice round and even more nice horses....

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 3, 2010, 01:32 PM
The best option, in the eq, is to hold the lead. If you know that your horse isn't likely to reliably hold the lead, then a change at the apex of the bend is preferable over a swap at the base of the jump.

For the hunters, I've been told by judges that either a hold or a change in the middle (as described above) is acceptable. I personally would rather see a change in the hunters and a hold in the eq.

Chef Jade
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:41 PM
IMO either the deliberate change at the change of bend or holding the counter-lead is correct and neither is "more correct". A lead change, however, can disrupt the rhythm and make it harder to get the next fence correctly.

eclipse
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:04 PM
IMO either the deliberate change at the change of bend or holding the counter-lead is correct and neither is "more correct". A lead change, however, can disrupt the rhythm and make it harder to get the next fence correctly.

This is what a judge this weekend (I was announcing told me), but she said that if you do the change it better be quick and precise! Absolutely NO cross canter, that will kill you. If you can't do a pefect and quick chance you are better to hold the counter-lead as you won't be penalized for it!

RugBug
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:46 PM
I too watched the Eq classes today and the thing is, Indoors there was a bending 9 or so,

I've always been told hold the lead in a bending line, but is nine strides even a "line" anymore? I would probably consider that an unrelated distance and would ride it off my eye, doing a change if necessary.

eclipse
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:18 PM
I've always been told hold the lead in a bending line, but is nine strides even a "line" anymore? I would probably consider that an unrelated distance and would ride it off my eye, doing a change if necessary.

agree....this same judge was also making the comment that the distances people are walking is getting ridiculous! He's seen people walking around their corners and counting things like 14 strides...what the heck??? His opinion was anything over 6 or 7 is no longer a line unless it's into a combination and then you might want to think about walking upto 9 strides, but basically he wanted to see a "thinking rider" somebody that could ride "off their eye" and make the right decision with the rythmn and pace that they had! It was very interesting to sit there and listen! :)