PDA

View Full Version : Danger! Danger! Stay far far away!!

katydidn't
Oct. 2, 2010, 09:41 AM
:winkgrin:I made the BIG mistake yesterday, despite being warned by a friend not to do the very thing, of trying on the Ariat Monaco boots.:yes:
I take a slim calf..... and.... well...... I can only say WOW!:eek:
I had the two salesgirls in the Dallas Dover shop all to myself, so after securing a brand new CO helmet for myself, I took advantage of the nearly empty shop to send the girl to the back room to find me boots in my size.
I'm not exactly showing enough to warrant the purchase of a new pair of tall boots, but my current boots were cheap to begin with (out-of-the-box, slim-calf, PULL-ON Ovations... $200), were bought quite a few years ago, and are starting to show their age.
I'm skeptical of the zippers, you hear so many horror stories about stuck zippers and the ones that come un-done from the bottom up, but MAN!! Some of those "box" boots with zippers fit SO beautifully!!
These Monacos were no exception. Fantastic fit, with some really great features. ("sticky" panel on the inner leg, stretch leather panel on the rear-most seam area, super tall spanish top on the outside, squared toe.....) Really really gorgeous!
I told the sales girl that I would be calling my friend to curse her for putting the idea in my head at all! Highly unfortunate that I cannot afford those lovely pieces of attire..... and even more unfortunate that I cannot warrant the extravagance because they will mostly sit in my closet gathering dust like my floppy old pull-ons.
Ah, well..... perhaps another day.:lol:

iloverain
Oct. 2, 2010, 10:14 AM
i'll be sure to do so! i have some old, old ariat zip ups (challengers? heritages? beats me.) that need replacing, but the price tag on the monacos makes me want to shed a tear.
i have been wondering about deniro's though...

simc24
Oct. 2, 2010, 10:24 AM
I just bought a pair of Ariat Crownes and the zipper broke on ride #3. Bummer, cause I love the way they fit "out of the box"...but you just can't trust those Ariat zippers. I won't be buying another pair of Ariat field boots for this reason.

I, too, have had my eye on some of those Deniros though:)

twotrudoc
Oct. 2, 2010, 11:45 AM
I have the old Ariat top of the line Crowne Pros, love them and they were about $150 less than the Monacos. Only thing is I hear way too much negative about Ariats now, there is no way I would buy any except a really cheap deal I don't expect to last.

My new boots will be Dehners, can't wait!!!

PNWjumper
Oct. 2, 2010, 11:58 AM
I absolutely adore my Ariat Monacos. I love them more than my Vogels, more than my Sergios, and more than my myriad of other old boots (mostly Ariat Crownes).

Alas, the zippers did (as predicted) break about a year into our relationship. But I sent an e-mail to Ariat and they promptly sent me a shipping bag to return the boots to their authorized repair center where they will be putting in new beefier zippers at their cost.

In the meantime I bought myself Ariat Monaco paddock boots (I went to get a pair of Grand Prix paddocks, but the monacos were SO much comfier!) and I am totally and completely in love with the paddock boots. They are so comfortable that I wore them around a 6-day horseshow starting day 3 of ownership (I've never had a pair of paddock boots that were comfortable enough to wear all day in that first few weeks of breaking in). And then I got the half-chaps after verifying that they used a better zipper than in the boots, and the half chaps are gorgeous. There are a couple of nitpicky things I'd say about them that would keep me from rating them as high as the boots and paddock boots, but all in all I'm totally in love with the Monaco line.

simc24
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:31 PM
Alas, the zippers did (as predicted) break about a year into our relationship. But I sent an e-mail to Ariat and they promptly sent me a shipping bag to return the boots to their authorized repair center where they will be putting in new beefier zippers at their cost.

What!?!?! I asked Ariat to replace my zippers and they said no!!! Perhaps it's because they were practically brand new- they told me to go through the company I'd bought them from. That company told me they'd pay the repair fee up to a certain point. I'd gotten a screaming deal on them, so they wouldn't replace, only refund. I chose to put heavy zippers in both boots (mostly on my dime) and keep them, but no more Ariats for me:sigh:

twotrudoc
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:39 PM
This is exactly what I mean. I keep hearing whacky stuff like this--one person got zippers, one didn't. I also have a friend who manages a tack store, she is trying as hard as she can to get rid of Ariat because the company is so hard to deal with. Too bad!

PNWjumper
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:42 PM
What!?!?! I asked Ariat to replace my zippers and they said no!!!

That's too bad. I sent an e-mail to the main e-mail address off of their website and they didn't even ask me where I got mine. I said that I'd worn them a total of MAYBE 25 times (I only wore them at shows for the second half of the year I had them) and the zipper popped at the ankle. They asked no other questions and sent me the shipping bag to go to their only authorized repair center. I was totally surprised and thrilled that they were so willing to help. The repair center has been great so far too. I guess the real test will come when I finally send them out and then get them back. But so far I'm really impressed with Ariat. I guess I should be considering myself lucky???

ChestnutShowJumper
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
I love them too.. but does anyone else find it disturbing that in all new ariat boot boxes a sheet of paper is included stating who to contact when the sole falls off?? I wish they were made like they used to be! My first pair of ariats lasted for 6 years! :winkgrin:

simc24
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
Yes, PNW, indeed, count yourself lucky! I contacted their main e-mail address as well, and they were polite with me, but said no. It's too bad, cause I own a lot of stuff with the name Ariat on it, and when they treat me like that it makes me take a good hard look at other companies (ahem, Deniro, Sergio Grasso, etc)

BeastieSlave
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:32 PM
I generally hate Ariat boots but my #2 daughter has a pair of Monacos and I have to admit they are really lovely boots! She only wears them to show and clinic in and is treating them very gently, but so far, so good...

MsRidiculous
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:50 PM
Keep an eye on ebay and you may get lucky. I got a brand new pair of Monaco's for $320. The fit is absolutely superb, like they were made for me. They're not everyday boots, and yes they have the dreaded Ariat zipper, but if you get a good deal on them they're really fantastic. I'm having the zippers replaced in mine (only costing me $40) so I don't have to worry about any potential bad-timing blowouts. Loooove my Monaco's.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Oct. 2, 2010, 05:43 PM
Well, I'm still wearing a 15 year old pair of Ariat paddock boots and half chaps...no issues...and have a 6 year old pair of Crowne Pro boots with no issues. I'd love to have a pair of Monacos but alas, too pricey!

Trilogy48
Oct. 2, 2010, 05:56 PM
I am absolutely in love with my Ariat Monacos! I got them almost a year ago and haven't had a problem. This is actually my third pair of zip up Ariats and have never had a problem with the zipper breaking or the sole falling off, ChestnutShowJumper ;), just out growing them. My monacos were very, very easy to break in (within 4 rides), if that's a concern with anyone; and luckily I got them on sale, saved $400! I hope ya'll can find some deals, because I definitely do not regret getting them!

intrepid
Oct. 4, 2010, 07:35 PM
I got the cold shoulder from Ariat when the zippers in mine blew... I could not even pay them to fix the boots. I love my Monaco's, but I will never buy another Ariat product. If you're looking for a tall slim zip field boot that will actually last, from a company with fantastic customer service, try the Grand Prix field boots. I bought a pair as "everyday" boots (I've had 3-4 pairs since I was 14! Only ever being replaced when they were outgrown) and they are beautiful. My Monaco's are just about finished (after just over a year of use!) and the Grand Prixs will become my show boots - love 'em!

Edited to add: The Grand Prix boots are about half the price of the Monaco's!

Slow Motion
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have them, love the look of them but Ariat just isn't a good product. The zipper tab fell off mine after the 1st day of a 2 day clinic. Trying to get them on for the 2nd day sucked! Spend the extra $$$ and get customs.

pds
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:22 AM
Arriat is a no go for me. I was burned twice on boots from them. Never again.

Cheap, made in China crap that Ariat charges a premium price for.

ktm2007
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:04 PM
I absolutely adore my Ariat Monacos. I love them more than my Vogels, more than my Sergios, and more than my myriad of other old boots (mostly Ariat Crownes).

Do you have that e-mail address handy? The zipper on my left boot of my monaco's broke at the last show. They will zip up, but get locked when I try to zip them down....

pinkme
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:56 PM
I called their 800 number and they replaced the zipper, free of charge, on my 3 year old crownes, no questions asked. I also had them "reconditioned" while being repaired, and was expecting to be charged, but was never charged (even though I gave them my CC number). It was a 2 week turn around as well. This was last spring.

asb_own_me
Oct. 5, 2010, 06:33 PM
I hear so many complaints about Ariat bootsand I've never had an issue. I loved my old Ariat Crowne boots, and showed in them for several seasons....they are in fabulous shape, but my calf got too big for the slim. I upgraded to the Monacos in April 2009 (bought them in Vegas at the World Cup) and haven't had any issues. I only wear them to show, but that's how I treat any show boots. If I want to school in tall boots, I wear some cheap Tuff Riders (or insulated Ariat Bromont boots in cold weather). I also have a pair of Ariat paddock boots, with original zippers, that I've worn the CRAP out of for over 8 years. I couldn't destroy them if I tried, and they are comfy too.

I had an issue with a pair of Ariat breeches, but they took care of it by replacing them.

My experiences have been very different - sorry to all those who have had bad experiences with Ariat.