PDA

View Full Version : ambulance at devon (today, fri)

staceyk
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:47 PM
I saw the tail end of an accident in the warmup ring, ending in an ambulance ride for someone. Does anyone know what happened and if the rider was okay?

staceyk
Oct. 3, 2010, 07:39 PM
A friend of mine saw the accident -- it involved rearing/bucking and the rider was thrown to the cement spectator area. The horse was big and dark and the rider seemed very experienced. The misbehavior came from nowhere, all seemed well but the horse spooked suddently. Trigger any recollection?

ThreeFigs
Oct. 3, 2010, 09:51 PM
Oh, my goodness.

Hope the rider is OK. Surely someone knows.

staceyk
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:22 AM
The fall was pretty horrific but my friend said she thought the rider was moving his arms. Hoping no news is good news.

QLD
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hey Stacey, I was walking by and yes he was moving his arms slowly as they started to pack him up, poor guy. There were too many accidents this year for sure. There was something like five accidents on Tuesday or Wednesday! One girl lost her spleen and I think I heard broken pelvis from a lunging accident....

In my eyes, there were a number of things that were less than user friendly this year that really don't make me want to go running back. Horses were falling down that hill into the stabling left and ride. When I made a suggestion to the pink hat, he told me very rudely, "Lady...this is Devon and it's been that way for 35 years". So that makes it ok?

After we had a near miss, we opted to go through the parking lot, and got yelled at for that too. Saturday they put a sign up saying that we had to dismount to go up or down the slope. I'm not sure I felt safe mounting my four year old who couldn't be lunged because of a conflict with the Dixon Oval training time out in either of the streets with horse trailers and people milling around either...I finally just said, "You don't like it, call the Steward". I do know that if I do go back, I won't be bringing young horses anymore!

Happy to be home and safe where it's horse friendly again!

staceyk
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:44 AM
Well, I'm a big fan of DAD but the condition of my four year old's stall was deplorable, spent an hour pulling out staples and nails.

The volunteers seemed very tense -- I had a couple of unpleasant interactions, one of which was my fault (nerves, I didn't see a sign posted) and the other was IMHO someone being a PITA. Volunteers at DAD this week need to be cut a lot of slack I suppose :-).

I didn't know there were so many close calls.

judybigredpony
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:03 AM
Volunteers being the optimum word here as in..Giving Freely of Their Time.

Also the TD's were exceptionaly vigulant this year.
Every thing Everyone under scrutiny
Say there is a change in the wind for next year??

Lots of rule enforcements, DAD parent commitee very concerned over safety.

With WEG running simultanious the venders #'s down, entries for Breed show way down from last year and gate tickets down.
This is a show that didn't cover its running expenses last year and most likely very poor $$ this year.

"Horses were falling down that hill into the stabling left and ride. When I made a suggestion to the pink hat, he told me very rudely, "Lady...this is Devon and it's been that way for 35 years". So that makes it ok?"

And that comment most likely lead to the dismount sign you didn't like.

DAD does not own the show grounds, they work with what is there. The stall conditions you need to complain to the people who actually own the facility and clean the premisies between shows. Do you think Devon Spring has it any better?? No but running more days, more foot traffic more horses they have less injuries??
I agree about the stalls, but I come prepared to pull out staples, nail or screw in loose stuff and check my bedding for trash.

The rider who was launched off onto the asphalt (wearing a helmet) had a concussion, broken collar bone and injuries to shoulder. As of yesterday he was on the grounds but going back to hospital for another look at his head.

The inebriated lady who took a header down the grand stand metal stair needed head stitches and a trip to the ER but she refused.

Any good suggestions regarding scheduling, running the show and being the Volunteer coordinater , you can contact DAD on-line. If you have ideas on safety issues they would love to hear from you.
Its a tremendous undertaking w/ very few paid positions.

QLD
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
Don't get me wrong, we're fans too and I love showing there! But when it comes to safety and the welfare of the horse, I do have to take care of the horses and people first. I'm glad we weren't the only ones who noticed the cranky volunteers, I was starting to get a complex. And we had a stabling problem as well that they chose to ignore rather than resolve. I don't want to get into all the issues in a public forum, but plan to write a letter directly to the USEF. There are a number of FEI competitors/trainers who were pretty outspoken about the goings on. It would be nice to see DaD try to take some positive steps in making it a better and safer place!

Dispatcher
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:14 AM
Did I read this correctly: Horses were FALLING DOWN going up and down a slope? What was wrong with them?

QLD
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:20 AM
It wasn't the comment that led to the sign. I believe there was another fall. Janine was out there for the third time that I saw, and I think it was likely her doing as she was VERY concerned with the hill and the mat.

I volunteer frequently at shows up here when my schedule allows. But the fact is, while I give my time, I don't speak rudely to anyone. If I have a problem with a competitor I go to the TD. That's that.

It's the horses welfare and safety first. By the way, I was having my bit checked when the lady went down and saw the entire thing first hand. I saw her feet fly through the air. She went down completely upside down and backwards, it had to hurt. My horse only spooked mildly at that. But when the dog who was standing at the ingate went ballistic, again, not the dogs fault, but did he have to be at the ingate to the arena that we had been chased away from early that day when we were told to go to the ring for our sound checks, and the EMT came running at the other gate, again doing his job, caused my horse to lose it violently, which I really couldn't blame him either, but the poor bit checker almost got it as well. It's no one's fault really, but if someone had gotten hurt, I would have felt terrible, but it really was not a fair situation to my horse. If they were concerned with safety, I would think that they would allow us to have our bits checked at a slightly less active area. I know I can "stay on" through it all, but there's many other people milling around that in gate who could have potentially been seriously hurt.

I've been to Devon a few times prior. But never had I experienced it like this year.

ShotenStar
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
"Horses were falling down that hill into the stabling left and ride. ..."

Which 'hill' are you referring to? If it was one of the grassy slopes, I can see how the rain may have made the ground slippery. Blocking off the area would certainly be a good safety move in my book.

The Devon Breed Show days always make me nervous in terms of safety ... too many horses with inexperienced / inattentive handlers in too small an area. I've shown, groomed, and spectated there for years and always move through the horse areas with hyper-awareness of what is happening around me.

*star*

Mardi
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:54 AM
The "hill" is an asphalt slope that one must carefully navigate while going from the upper barns/ring area to the lower barns. A rubber mat was there for horses,
and pedestrians could use it or keep to the side on the asphalt.

If show staff were tense, it may have been because of the stress of bad weather, the heavy rains on Thursday and the power going off. Classes and events were cancelled, and re-scheduling could not have been easy.

ToN Farm
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:25 PM
The rider who was launched off onto the asphalt (wearing a helmet) had a concussion, broken collar bone and injuries to shoulder. As of yesterday he was on the grounds but going back to hospital for another look at his head.
Can you say who the rider was? Process of elimination tells me it is "M.O.". Am I right?

staceyk
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:34 PM
The volunteers should all get a pat on the back. The guys managing traffic could not have been nicer and the show secretary was very pleasant. The folks managing the ebb and flow from the Dixon Oval had probably seen far too much in the way of accidents and problems. They were a bit terse with us, and we were tense and I was probably a bit terse back at them. But they were more directive/authoritative than rude. I'm sure they felt responsible and their attitude reflected that.

judybigredpony
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:42 PM
Can you say who the rider was? Process of elimination tells me it is "M.O.". Am I right?

I watched it happen from the volunteer room window and to be honest, I do not know did not ask and was not told.
It was just assumed we all knew who it was???

His mother-in-law stopped by yesterday to give us that little update....the others we never got feed back from. Didn't know anyone lost a spleen???

Kadenz
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:48 PM
I know the rider who was launched onto the concrete. He has a broken collarbone and a concussion, but thankfully is on his way home now and on the mend. Honestly, he would probably rather the incident not be publicized alongside his name on this forum, so I'm not saying anything more.

There were several injuries at DaD this year; please everyone stop the speculating and just send them your good wishes and/or prayers.

Marydell
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:50 PM
Not a spleen but a lacerated liver , broken elbow(surgery to repair has been done) and several broken ribs. She was in ICU and now in step down. If she can come off the drugs, will be discharged Wednesday to go home and be in bed for 6 weeks.
I will not name names as hers has not been placed out here by the proper people.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:24 PM
Okay, I'm putting on my flame colored suit here:

With WEG running simultanious the venders #'s down, entries for Breed show way down from last year and gate tickets down.
This is a show that didn't cover its running expenses last year and most likely very poor $$ this year.

Given that WEG was running simultaneously, they should have expected the vendors to be down...why didn't they plan accordingly? It's not like WEG was a scheduling surprise?

Bogey2
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:38 PM
well wishes to those who were hurt...I love Devon but have only done the breed shows and my horse was handled by a pro. I don't think I would have been able to control a "bebe" in that electric atmosphere!

judybigredpony
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:18 PM
Okay, I'm putting on my flame colored suit here:

Given that WEG was running simultaneously, they should have expected the vendors to be down...why didn't they plan accordingly? It's not like WEG was a scheduling surprise?
Yeah...of course they did, but the economey sucks, Vendors sign -up the don't follow thru and pay for their space.
Some of the staples went to WEG and money for those booths were outrageous so of course DAD was cut.
Volunteers, vendor, spectators, BNT w/ students got to WEG = less $$ for DAD.
2 years ago they were polling and planning.

staceyk
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:20 PM
I had no idea there were other mishaps, but at a venue this size with young horses, and then the bad weather, it's not that shocking. I'm so glad everyone is okay -- and will echo an earlier post that this thread should leave names out of it.

Thanks again to all.

horsemommy
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:42 PM
It's the horses welfare and safety first. By the way, I was having my bit checked when the lady went down and saw the entire thing first hand. I saw her feet fly through the air. She went down completely upside down and backwards, it had to hurt. My horse only spooked mildly at that. But when the dog who was standing at the ingate went ballistic, again, not the dogs fault, but did he have to be at the ingate to the arena that we had been chased away from early that day when we were told to go to the ring for our sound checks, and the EMT came running at the other gate, again doing his job, caused my horse to lose it violently, which I really couldn't blame him either, but the poor bit checker almost got it as well. It's no one's fault really, but if someone had gotten hurt, I would have felt terrible, but it really was not a fair situation to my horse. If they were concerned with safety, I would think that they would allow us to have our bits checked at a slightly less active area. I know I can "stay on" through it all, but there's many other people milling around that in gate who could have potentially been seriously hurt.

I was the bit checker and I couldn't agree more, MY PRIMARY concern is the horse/rider and me! I shouldn't have to worry about uneducated spectators getting us or them hurt. If I seemed rude to anyone, it was due to many years in a surgeons office handling emergencies and barking orders, I don't panic I just take charge. If that's gives the impression of rudeness then I apologize. I've done this job for 4yrs and have NEVER had a year like this! I think we also need less folks in the area, including the walkways. I hate bit checking in such a public area but that's what the FEI stewart wanted. Last year I brought my lighting and did it in the playpen but that wasn't possible this year as they removed the playpen. Maybe we can come up with an alternative that works for all.
I also wanted to comment that the riders were on edge and so were some of the volunteers. Not sure why, but kindness goes both way. I sometimes think the riders think we're there only to find things wrong. When in reality most of us show and realize what it takes to get to a show of this caliper and that the show must have a good volunteer base. That's why I chose to do it.
Hopefully next year will be better ;)

QLD
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:06 AM
Horsemommy, you did great. And between your background and my grooms (who also worked in a hospital barking orders and taking emergencies) you both did admirably at keeping everyone safe in a really tough situation. Thank you!

leilatigress
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:50 AM
Kudos to the volunteers and Jingles to equine and human alike. Sounds like an interesting DAD.

judybigredpony
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:06 PM
Horsemommy you rock :)****

Calhoun
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:50 PM
DAD does not own the show grounds, they work with what is there. The stall conditions you need to complain to the people who actually own the facility and clean the premisies between shows.

Actually the fees are paid to Dressage at Devon, therefore they should do the complaining, not the participants. Maybe a clause should be put in the contract that all stalls be free of harmful items. If Dressage at Devon threatened to look for another facility, something might be done to clean up the stall area.

Years ago the Quarter Horse Congress threatened to pull the show from the Ohio State Fairgrounds after years of complaining. Not only were the grounds cleaned up they got a new building.

Eye in the Sky
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:41 PM
Did I read this correctly: Horses were FALLING DOWN going up and down a slope? What was wrong with them?

And what HILL are you referring to? I have volunteered at DAD in the past and I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a HILL on that showground.

Also, in regards to the volunteers, please cut them some slack. Sure there's a rude one every now and then, but for the most part, we're all competent horse people who care deeply about the show. We also have regular jobs that we take time off of to volunteer at DAD.

Keep that in mind the next time you decide to say, stand in front of the tractor because you have not prepared your young filly for loud noises. ;) And yes, folks, that is a true story about one of our very own COTHers. I kid you not. :lol:

SGray
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:06 PM
..........DAD does not own the show grounds, they work with what is there. The stall conditions you need to complain to the people who actually own the facility and clean the premisies between shows. Do you think Devon Spring has it any better?? No but running more days, more foot traffic more horses they have less injuries??
I agree about the stalls, but I come prepared to pull out staples, nail or screw in loose stuff and check my bedding for trash..........

sounds like GR1215.2 is being violated

"2. Stalls provided must be of sturdy construction, in good condition and safe for horses and ponies..........."

Dispatcher
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:08 PM
[quote=Eye in the Sky;5139638]And what HILL are you referring to? I have volunteered at DAD in the past and I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a HILL on that showground.

I wondered that too. I have been attending the Devon show grounds since the 1960's and don't know of any hills on the show grounds. Of course, a lot of things can change over the years and I missed them.
Perhaps they mean at the back entrance going to the other parking lots?

I'm shocked that horses were falling down. You rarely even see that at steeplchase races in the rain.

horsemommy
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:22 PM
make me blush Judybigred pony !! :D and thanks QLD I do my best and I understand that some riders are really disappointed in their preformance and aren't directing their attitude towards me. I take no offense and completely understand.
I really do enjoy working there and getting to meet all the riders and esp. the horses.

Eye in the Sky
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:04 PM
horsemommy, I bow to you! I did bit check the last year I volunteered (amazing how many horse people don't even desire that task - I thought it was really cool!) and from the situation described, it sounds as if your crisis training for the ED was definitely in need!

One of the other volunteers from the past and I have been on crises teams for various local, national and world events and we often joked that we would take those ANY day over some of the breed show days at DAD! :lol: FEMA could not begin to train for some of the situations I have seen, but still, I will go back when able - I love that show and I love what it supports. :yes:

And I'm coming with money next time! I WILL buy that cool necklace I saw at DAD 2005 if I ever see it again!!

grahamcracker
Oct. 6, 2010, 01:25 AM
I want to extend a big thank you to all the volunteers for the show. Devon doesn't own the showgrounds and the facility has been trying to update the grounds barn by barn. A little hard with only two events held there a year. Please keep in mind that it is your choice to go to Devon or not to go...