PDA

View Full Version : Darco Mare's first show!

faraway46
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:40 PM
Cheptel Wondrous had her first outing at 3ft in the Young Jumper Championships held in Club Aleman de Equitacion six weeks ago. I am having trouble hanging on at times because she still doesn't control her bascule and sometimes overdoes it. I pray she will soon understand it doesn't take THAT much strength to pop over 3ft...In the second round that same day she leveled down a bit and I could balance her stride more, which made it more comfortable...I am not proud of my ride at all but I am proud I made it through the whole thing while staying on her back...:winkgrin: (specially after her hissy fit right before starting the round)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxQxXSwVSM

T-storm chick
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:05 PM
That WAS quite the little hissy fit! :eek::lol:. Good job staying attached! She is very, very lovely. With some more experience, she is going to be a super fun ride.
Safe travels Faraway46. Looking forward to meeting you next weekend at WEG!:D

Centuree
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:37 PM
Very nice ride! I like your mare as well, she looks very tall? But you did a great job, looks like your giving her a ton of confidence to eventually get to the big ring.

PNWjumper
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:41 AM
Ooh, I like her a whole lot!

She's sure going to be nice over bigger fences :)

doublesstable
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:49 AM
That WAS quite the little hissy fit! :eek::lol:. Good job staying attached! She is very, very lovely. With some more experience, she is going to be a super fun ride.

I thought the same thing..... With some schooling miles together it looks like you will have yourself a nice one. She looks a bit unsure of life.... yet quite bold over the jump (no fear)

naturalequus
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:55 AM
Woo!! Nice mare!! Doesn't help that I am partial to chestnuts, either ;) VERY lovely up-and-comer and LOVE the boldness.

faraway46
Oct. 2, 2010, 07:45 AM
Very nice ride! I like your mare as well, she looks very tall? But you did a great job, looks like your giving her a ton of confidence to eventually get to the big ring.

Yes, VERY tall. She was 1.74m when I bought her at 3 1/2 (I think that's 17.2h?) and I am a "whopping" 5ft, so with me on top she looks twice her size ;) . Luckily she's very light and has an uphill build, if not I could have never ridden this type of mare. I have to admit it was kind of a mistake to buy such a big mare for my size, but I loved her confidence, agility and scope, so I took the chance!

LudgerFan
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:01 PM
Oh well...if you decide she's too big for you, you can just send her to me. :yes::D:lol:

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
Is she by Wonderboy (Ramon x Nimmerdor)?

faraway46
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:08 PM
Is she by Wonderboy (Ramon x Nimmerdor)?

This is her pedigree:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cheptel+wondrous

Are you familiar with the stallion? His offspring in Argentina are fabulous! Great mind, scopey, brave, athletic with good build and very balanced. I've seen quite a few and they are all very interesting to say the least!

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:16 PM
We are, he's is on our short list. What characteristics does he seem to throw consistently? Goods or bads?

Good to know her full pedigree. On the youtube video it says (Wonderboy x Darco) so I thought to myself, holy cow she's in-bred on the Darco, seeing as Wonderboy is a Darco direct son!

Alterrain
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:18 PM
Although I quite like her, (and I do) ---I would NOT put that video on youtube. She might be for sale some day, and god forbid someone interested had seen that beginning.

pony grandma
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:18 PM
Nice mare - she will really be something as she matures and gets ironed out. Totally being green and you are good together with her, that will keep her bold and confident. Woo Hoo! Good ride.

I must add I just saw the last comment - she's green and four. And a jumper, not a hunter prospect. I hardly think that it would scare anyone off - in fact maybe the opposite. Most riders looking at a bloodline like hers would want to see spirit and keenness. Many want to see a horse that has the reaction to leave the ground! it translates into their jump efforts.

faraway46
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:20 PM
Although I quite like her, (and I do) ---I would NOT put that video on youtube. She might be for sale some day, and god forbid someone interested had seen that beginning.
...but shes for personal fun, so I'm not worried about what she does as a greenie. She's with me for the long run! :)

faraway46
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:23 PM
We are, he's is on our short list. What characteristics does he seem to throw consistently? Goods or bads?

Good to know her full pedigree. On the youtube video it says (Wonderboy x Darco) so I thought to myself, holy cow she's in-bred on the Darco, seeing as Wonderboy is a Darco direct son!

From what I have seen so far very consistent good traits: brave, athletic, solid bone but light, well balanced and an overall good temper (except for her hissy fit). She never bucks and always is a trooper!
I love Wonderboy's get. I just put she was Darco because not many people from USA are familiar with Wonderboy, although they should be!

Alterrain
Oct. 2, 2010, 09:17 PM
I hardly think that it would scare anyone off - in fact maybe the opposite.

I disagree- I hardly think that anyone looking at any prospect would WANT to see rearing, at any point in the course.

To the OP- if you say she's for keeps, then great. But I wouldn't leave it up there, times and situtations change and the last thing you want is someone saying oh she's perfect but didn't she used to stand up?

ETA: I'm just trying to help, I think she's lovely. Don't take it the wrong way.

LeeB10
Oct. 3, 2010, 12:16 PM

That wasn't really much of a hissy fit for a 4 year old green jumper horse. The first round my daughter ever rode her Children's jumper horse in was pretty similar to this and she is just lovely now at 10. If I was looking for a jumper (and we are) that little thing at the beginning wouldn't be a big deal. Stopping would, running out of jumps would, but that.. nah.

faraway46
Oct. 3, 2010, 10:45 PM
I disagree- I hardly think that anyone looking at any prospect would WANT to see rearing, at any point in the course.

To the OP- if you say she's for keeps, then great. But I wouldn't leave it up there, times and situtations change and the last thing you want is someone saying oh she's perfect but didn't she used to stand up?

ETA: I'm just trying to help, I think she's lovely. Don't take it the wrong way.

I appreciate all input. It's always good to hear what knowledgeable people think. I hope life/health/finances permit me to keep her until she hits the best she can be, but if this could not be, I would not hide any setback she has (because if you do, sooner or later that backfires...).
I am not that worried about her temper tantrum because I know as a fact she is a puppydog and pretty straight forward for a 4 y.o. The only problem is her size and sometimes a playful nudge can mean you end up splat against a wall. She still doesn't control her strength in any aspect, including jumps. I guess she is much like an overgrown teenager!

wanderlust
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:26 PM

That isn't rearing. It is a typical 4yo warmblood 'prop and hop'. Anyone who sits on young horses is intimately familiar with the move, lol.

I won't sit on a horse that rears, and I would have no problem sitting on that. Nor would anyone who wants an upper level jumper prospect.

Thanatos
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:43 AM
That isn't rearing. It is a typical 4yo warmblood 'prop and hop'. Anyone who sits on young horses is intimately familiar with the move, lol.

I won't sit on a horse that rears, and I would have no problem sitting on that. Nor would anyone who wants an upper level jumper prospect.

Agreed. Pretty typical and have sat on more than a few that do that. The desire to hop and prop because they want to go FORWARD is fine by me. I'd rather have that than one I used to have that stood up and threw itself on the ground if asked to do more than stand still. And that one wasn't green at all. Needless to say, the day I waved goodbye to the trailer so she could go be a broodmare (donor recipient! lol!!!) was a fantastic day. My thoroughbred jumper does that, too, once he hears the buzzer; I knew it when looking at him and it didn't deter me, obviously.

Adelita
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:05 AM
I love her GIANT stride!! Wow! She is gorgeous!

jse
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:32 AM
I'm a jumper person and the first thing I thought when I saw this mare was "I want it!" lol Not for me of course, but for my husband to show!
What hissy fit? I didn't see a hissy fit? ;)
I just saw a silly 4 yr old acting her age!
OP my husband is from Argentina!

ETA: It's pretty normal even for a seasoned GP horse to do what this mare did at the beginning of the round. Not even anything I would worry about at all!

pony grandma
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
I would NOT put that video on youtube. She might be for sale some day, and god forbid someone interested had seen that beginning.

It was an honest video of a young horse - I'd never want to buy anything from you! I'd wonder what you were hiding. And it was a sh*tty thing for you to keep repeating and insisting here. The OP and her young mare are a very talented combination.

The mare had an expressive moment, she startled herself - it's a very green thing. The rider took a hold to stay on, that brought the mare up in front. The mare got over it very quickly -- THAT would speak volumes to me. I think that this is a very important piece of video.

naturalequus
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
I don't think it's dishonest not to post a video of a young horse when she was going through her developing period, before she reached the 'finished' horse she is when she is later for sale (if she is later for sale). Of course if she was being sold now and the owner chose not to post said video or disclose the behaviour, that I would consider dishonest.

From my perspective, I would not be dissuaded at all by the video the OP posted (in fact, it tells me a lot about the mare and reveals a lot of what I look for in a prospect - bold, etc). However I am a professional and would be seeking an upper-level prospect. I do not think the video would turn off anyone with experience who was looking for a prospect with potential, however if you were ever looking for a home for her with an amateur (sometime in the future), yes, I do honestly really believe the video could possibly turn said amateur away (as dumb as that sounds). However, I do not think the OP necessarily needs to remove the video or that they should not have posted it to begin with. Just if she is a different horse from the horse you are selling down the road, then post new, more accurate videos up at that time.