PDA

View Full Version : sigh...helmet dilemma

iloverain
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:30 PM
has anyone recently had the revelation that they either have a bit head, too much hair, or both?
i went helmet shopping recently (old helmet about to die a tragic death) and found out that nothing fits me (any model of GPA, IRH, or CO)! :eek:
i have a normal head, but my hair is THICK. not even that long, but THICK and putting it in the helmet is impossible (but very necessary for shows)!
seems silly, but anyone have any suggestions? :confused: id hate to have to get it thinned. i can spend a nice amount (nice...not crazy) on this helmet, so i need help finding a very shallow helmet to accommodate my needs. that or hair style suggestions?
i currently have the old, old GPA titanium and it's a tad tight (and falling apart...but that's another story).
thanks! :)

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
I had similar trouble finding a helmet. Part of it is due to the shape of my head - most helmets sit too high on my head. That and I have curly hair that kind of adds to the amount of "padding".

If you have a lot of hair, don't thin it! Perhaps try wetting your hair slightly and then pull it back into a ponytail, securing it near the base of your neck. That might help reduce the volume somewhat, if your hair is long enough.

Have you tried the Charles Owens helmet that has a mesh lining on the top? Interestingly, that is the only CO helmet that fit me, but it was a great fit at that. Nothing else in the CO line fit. When I was at Dover's they said that particular helmet has a very different shape from the others. Perhaps give that a go.

crazyhorses
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:10 PM
I have to CO GR8 and I also have really thick, long, curly hair. I bought a size bigger than I needed. Maybe that would work for you?

RugBug
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:08 AM
CO makes a few models up to size 8. I wear a 7 5/8 and have had a GPA and a CO AYR8. The CO is very deep, but looks fine. Either one works.

The biggest problem when you have a large head/a lot of hair is that you can't find helmets in stores to try on. I travelled 150 miles to a tack shop to try some on and out of the 10+ varieties the store sold, they only had two (not models...but actual helmets) that I could even try on.

I ended up ordering from SmartPak, but even that was a risk. SmartPak was VERY unhelpful when I had fitting questions. I personally should've used Dover as they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and would take the helmet back or replace it even if it didn't work out...even AFTER it had been used. SmartPak's response was 'tough luck'.

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:13 AM
+100 for Dover's. I've been to the NJ store a couple of times in the last month and have been very impressed with their service. The staff seems to have a very good understanding of the products. Besides having helmet fitting issues, I also have trouble getting boots and half chaps that fit over my short but well-developed runners calves. They found a really brilliant off-the-rack solution for half-chaps that has worked remarkably well, something I had completely missed when I went through the catalog.

When I bought my helmet they told me I could return it if it didn't work out. I don't think that will be necessarily as the CO AYR8 has worked out rather well so far.

iloverain
Oct. 2, 2010, 10:02 AM
Have you tried the Charles Owens helmet that has a mesh lining on the top?
that actually happens to be the only one that was out of stock. :cry: perhaps ill give that a go wherever i can find it.
i will also give the wetting thing a go. :yes:

as for the trying bigger sizes thing, sadly that didnt work either. ive got a LOT of hair. :lol:

harkington
Oct. 2, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have long, thick, curly hair that is my non-horsey self's pride and joy. Normally, it runs wild and free and curly halfway down my back, but it must be tamed for riding. I couldn't even begin to imagine making it fit 'au natural' inside my old helmet (CO JR8)- so I straightened it for lessons and shows. It seems silly and people thought I was crazy standing in bathrooms the mornings of shows with my hair straightener, but it was necessary for the hunter hair.

When I went shopping for my current helmet (GPA), I went two days- one curly and one straight. I went from a 7 3/8 to a 1/8 simply based on the hair, so perhaps you can make yours fit inside a new helmet while straighened for shows and then leave it out for schooling?

Straightened hair for riding doesn't have the same purpose as it does for school/work/socializing. I don't care if I have funny cow licks and weird kinky parts at 6:30am, just so long as it is flat and sleek and can be neatly tucked into my helmet.

iloverain
Oct. 2, 2010, 05:34 PM
I went from a 7 3/8 to a 1/8 simply based on the hair, so perhaps you can make yours fit inside a new helmet while straighened for shows and then leave it out for schooling?

LOVE IT! tried it today, and it worked wonders. takes me 30 mins to straighten my hair, but it sure did work! now to try on new helmets...my old one is about to die a tragic death. :sadsmile:

bits619
Oct. 2, 2010, 08:45 PM
saleswoman at the alpharetta dover suggested the same thing- straightening hair for shows- to me, when i had the thickness problem y'all have. I nixed that idea, just because i don't have the patience to straighten my hair- ever, no matter what.
Her suggestion came about half-way through trying on helmets. Was trying on the GR8 and the JR8 (is that what they're called?? my memory/little sleep isn't working with me right now) as well as the wellington (really wanted the wellington) when she suggested that. I then tried on an IRH xr9- i bought it because it felt SO nice. It was between that and the troxel grand prix (I don't care if it's not as popular at the mo'). the troxel actually looked the best considering the CO's didn't even fit(!), but the IRH felt the most comfortable.

I tried on my trainer's titium pro... now THAT is a comfortable helmet!!!!! But i didn't/don't have the money to spend for it- would rather buy some more lessons!

RugBug
Oct. 2, 2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry, I have to laugh if people think a 7 1/8 or 7 3/8 is big. Anyone that can wear a CO JR8 doesn't have THAT big of a head. I can't even look at that helmet because they don't make it large enough.

that actually happens to be the only one that was out of stock. :cry: perhaps ill give that a go wherever i can find it.
i will also give the wetting thing a go. :yes:

as for the trying bigger sizes thing, sadly that didnt work either. ive got a LOT of hair. :lol:

I also have a hard time imagining that an 8 won't fit you. I have A LOT of hair couple with a large head and I'm not even maxed out size wise yet. In the stores...well, yes. They NEVER have helmets in my size. But there are some available in the catalogs in larger sizes.

What size do you wear? I find that I can try a helmet on with my hair down to get an idea if the shape will work and then I can order the larger size either from the shop or a catalog. SmartPak actually has a nice video that tells you how to measure correctly. Just put your hair up, follow the instructions and you should have your size. Again, I'd be shocked (and a little curious to see your huge noggin :winkgrin:) if you couldn't wear an 8

I used to do the blow dry, straightening iron thing before shows but got tired of all the work just to sweat.

iloverain
Oct. 4, 2010, 07:07 AM
I also have a hard time imagining that an 8 won't fit you. I have A LOT of hair couple with a large head and I'm not even maxed out size wise yet. In the stores...well, yes. They NEVER have helmets in my size. But there are some available in the catalogs in larger sizes.

What size do you wear?

im a 7 1/4 GPA, but I did try an 8 with no avail. its not the width, sadly. its the depth (my hair adds a good 4 inches to the top of my head).

RugBug
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:08 AM
im a 7 1/4 GPA, but I did try an 8 with no avail. its not the width, sadly. its the depth (my hair adds a good 4 inches to the top of my head).

Try the CO AYR8. I almost sent mine back because it's so deep.

KatieJo
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
I have a size 8 head size. I have found a couple of hats for showing my saddlebreds at Lamood Big Hats like the Indy Jones. They have several big head hats (http://www.lamoodbighats.com/dress-golf-big-hats.html) for show. It looks like they only have bike helmets for big heads though :-(

RugBug
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:23 PM
I have a size 8 head size. I have found a couple of hats for showing my saddlebreds at Lamood Big Hats like the Indy Jones. They have several big head hats (http://www.lamoodbighats.com/dress-golf-big-hats.html) for show. It looks like they only have bike helmets for big heads though :-(

Since we have to wear ASTM approved helmets, that link is not going to cut it. :winkgrin:

Charles Owens makes one or two models in an 8. Again, the tack stores don't usually carry them, but they can be ordered. I think the GPA can be ordered quite large as well.

dauntless
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:42 PM
I also have a large noggin. I'm a 7 5/8s. I had an old GPA which was delightfully comfy. I hate hate hate my Gr8. So uncomfortable. My head is pumpkin shaped - and the oval-ness of the GR8 sucks for me. Plus, it looks ridic with my big hiar.

The new GPA Titiums are different and feel awful on. The SpeedAirs feel great but I am a hunter... and I really don't like those helmets in the hunters so 700 for a schooling helmet is just silly.

I really like the look of the Hamptons but w/ my hair up, I need a feed bucket sized one... so maybe I should try getting a Hampton that would fit with my hair down, and try the straightening trick for shows.

ChocoMare
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:48 PM
I have finally found the helmet that fits with hair or an odd head: LamiCell... OH MY!! :D comfiest thing I've ever strapped on my skull in over 25 years of riding.

49th_parallel
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:52 PM
seriously? I have THE fat head of big & fat heads and I fit in a 60 GPA. They make em bigger than that. I used to wet my hair, gel it, comb it as tight to my head as possible, pull it in a tight ponytail, and then put a baseball cap on until it dried. Worked better than straightening (but looked pretty frightful at the end of the day!).

joiedevie99
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:17 PM
Hair that adds four inches to the top of your head isn't safe (regardless of whether you fit it in a helmet). I've heard that going up more than 1-2 sizes to fit hair compromises safety.

You need a new hair style.

If you don't want to straighten your hair before you show, try washing it and putting it in a tight braid while wet.

If that doesn't work, you may need to put it in 6 or so tight braids and wrapping them around your head so it spreads the thickness evenly over your whole head. Then just leave two pieces out to pin over the tops of your ears for the appropriate look.