PDA

View Full Version : Camelot Alert! Hano. X mare, 7yo, 16h $350

FlyingSwap
Oct. 1, 2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.nj-feedlot-horse-rescue.com/availablecamelot.html

She looks like a lovely girl. Hip # 371. :sadsmile:

FlyingSwap
Oct. 1, 2010, 09:13 PM
There is also a Holsteiner mare, also 16h, also $350. Hip #399.

Centuree
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:28 PM
That is so sad. Makes you never want to sell a horse, as it doesn't seem to matter how nice they are, any horse can end up here ... :( poor guys

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:55 PM
I've heard people talking about Camelot and having just moved here, I had no idea what it was. I just checked out the website and now I am sick :(

Why do these horses end up here? Are they getting dumped by owners who can no longer afford them? Or they have some issue the owner doesn't want to deal with?

jetsmom
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:03 AM
They were sent through an auction with no reserve put on them, and the Killer Buyer bought them. The previous owners either didn't know or didn't care if they went to slaughter. Sometimes horses that are given away free "to good homes" are taken by people pretending to give the horse a home, when their intention is to run it through the auction to make a couple of hundred dollars.
Sometimes people will run a horse through an auction thinking that the horse is nice, so surely it will get a good home, only to have there not be many buyers present at the auction that day, so a Killer Buyer ends up buying it.

But the horse in the first post really looks nice.

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:41 AM
If they do go to the slaughterhouse, do they end up as dog food? I hate to even say that (it feels so terrible).

The horse mentioned in the original post actually looked kind of cute. I hope she can find a nice place. What about university programs? Do they ever pick up horses from Camelot and try to rehabilitate them?

jetsmom
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:11 AM
If they do go to the slaughterhouse, do they end up as dog food? I hate to even say that (it feels so terrible).

The horse mentioned in the original post actually looked kind of cute. I hope she can find a nice place. What about university programs? Do they ever pick up horses from Camelot and try to rehabilitate them?

They haven't used horse in commercial dog food since the 70's when they passed a wild horse protection act. They are slaughtered in Canada and Mexico for human consumption overseas. Go look at the thread on Off Course titled something like "Documented abuse at Slaughter house". there's some video (or text if you can't watch the video) of what happens to them. You can also go to Kaufman zoning.net (google it), and find more info. Or go to the off course forum, and search "Horse slaughter". Lots of threads on it.

Universities get horses donated to them. Some universities SEND those horses thru auctions and end up having them be bought by Killer Buyers.

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:18 AM
Are there any other uses for horse meat other than what you mentioned? I don't disagree with what you are saying regarding "human consumption overseas". However, I was under the impression that deworming medications and certain other things were not to be used in horses intended for human consumption.

So is the issue of human safety just not relevant anymore due to some change in formulation that doesn't present a problem? Or is it the case that the overseas buyers just don't care what the animal may or may not have consumed?

jetsmom
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:27 AM
A small amount of horsemeat goes to zoos, but the vast majority is for human consumption. Due to a recently passed EU reg, horses need to have paperwork signed off by the seller to the SH that the horse has been drug free for 6 months. However KB's are the ones filling out that paperwork. No one is checking up on them (ie tracking down sales history/interviewing prior owners). They go by the KB's word that the horses are drug free.

forestergirl99
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:34 AM
Universities get horses donated to them. Some universities SEND those horses thru auctions and end up having them be bought by Killer Buyers.

My trainer recently bought a gorgeous 6 year old TB this way. He had been a blood donor for about 2 years, and they just shipped him and 2 other mares off to an auction house. Luckily the B/O was at the vet school that day and saw him.

jetsmom
Oct. 2, 2010, 03:05 AM
My trainer recently bought a gorgeous 6 year old TB this way. He had been a blood donor for about 2 years, and they just shipped him and 2 other mares off to an auction house. Luckily the B/O was at the vet school that day and saw him.

Do you know what vet school?

prosefullstop
Oct. 2, 2010, 10:48 PM
That grey Hanoverian is lovely. A couple of the trail horses appeal to me, too. As for the former petting zoo pony... :(

kgro632
Oct. 3, 2010, 10:30 AM
Has anyone been out to see them? I'd take that Hanoverian mare in a heartbeat, but I'm in Dallas....

Big_Tag
Oct. 3, 2010, 04:59 PM
I don't really know how this works, but does anyone frequent the sale grounds? The STB Mare should be pretty easy to identify if someone can get her freeze brand, or if she's much older, tattoo..I'd like to know who she is at the very least..

Trakehner
Oct. 3, 2010, 07:10 PM
These are always such a heartbreaker to look at. Poor things...good thing I don't have my own place.

pictureonemore
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:48 AM
I tried to buy #371, but she had been bailed out before I could get through. I'm really hoping she found a good home. She looked like a very sweet mare.

pictureonemore
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:52 AM
Has anyone been out to see them? I'd take that Hanoverian mare in a heartbeat, but I'm in Dallas....

If you have facebook, the best way to follow the auction, which happens weekly, is on there. Just search for "camelot horse weekly". On that page they will give you info on how to buy, who to use for shipping, and where quarantine barns are. Usually the shippers listed there give you a "break" for buying a horse from camelot. I would suggest looking to the FB page for info. The next sale pictures should be posted Wednesday. ALL the horses have to be sold by Saturday. It really is a great way to give a needy horse a second chance at life.:)

Sugarbrook
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:08 AM
Anyone going to get #377? Poor thing.

caffeinated
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:54 AM
I don't really know how this works, but does anyone frequent the sale grounds? The STB Mare should be pretty easy to identify if someone can get her freeze brand, or if she's much older, tattoo..I'd like to know who she is at the very least..

Unfortunately the volunteers/rescue working with Camelot can't release that information. In the past, they'd post tattoo numbers or IDs, but unfortunately people being people, they would often track down owners/breeders/trainers and rant and rave and scream, essentially harrassing them. The proprietor of the auction house put a stop to it due to complaints.

Big_Tag
Oct. 4, 2010, 07:01 PM
Unfortunately the volunteers/rescue working with Camelot can't release that information. In the past, they'd post tattoo numbers or IDs, but unfortunately people being people, they would often track down owners/breeders/trainers and rant and rave and scream, essentially harrassing them. The proprietor of the auction house put a stop to it due to complaints.

Understandable..but unfortunately it limits what one can do to really help. Some breeders/owners WOULD really want to know and help.
And, I know it probably shouldn't matter who she is, but if she's some great old thing she's more likely to find a home. :(

danceronice
Oct. 4, 2010, 07:54 PM
Understandable..but unfortunately it limits what one can do to really help. Some breeders/owners WOULD really want to know and help.

Many do, but the problem people don't bother to ask before calling and screaming at them for sending a horse to slaughter. This tends to annoy people and put them off dealing with anyone who calls themselves a rescuer.