PDA

View Full Version : Saddles similar to County Stabilizer?

Sparky Boy
Oct. 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
If I like the Stabilizer, what other brands/models are similar? I have two Stabilizers and I'd like to try a different brand.

mvp
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:42 PM
Crosby Victory.

I think this saddle was built as a direct answer to the Stabilizer. Just like Crosby built the Centennial in answer to the Butet in the 1990s.

Victories are hard to find. But I finally found one and I like mine better than the Stabilizer. Wool flocked, the seat is relatively flat and "open." But the cantle isn't as low as the Stabilizers I had found. Those seemed to put me a little bit in the back seat and I didn't expect that.

Sparky Boy
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:34 PM
I actually think my stabilizer has a deeper seat. I tried a tad coffin and THAT was a flat seat. Hated it. What about some of the French saddles?

PNWjumper
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
I think the question that needs to be answered in order to give a recommendation is, what are you looking for in relation to the Stabilizer?

Do you like your saddles but you want a different feel? Is price the only reason you're not looking for a third Stabilizer? Do you need a different shape for a horse that the Stabilizers don't fit? Or are you just curious about what else is out there?

I agree with mvp that the Stabilizers put you in a bit of a back seat. The reps call them their "equitation saddles" now because the balance is a little further towards the back. I prefer my Innovation because of the more forward balance that makes it easier to sit around a big course, and I now ride my mare in her Stabilizer with a riser pad (one of the ones with padding in the back but not front) to make the balance neutral. My personal favorite non-County saddle is my Clinton Northrup saddle, but given the short amount of time it was made maybe 20 years ago, that's not a very viable option.

I'm personally not a big fan of the french saddles. I've got a Devoucoux Biarritz, a Devoucoux Socoa, and had a Butet, and all fit a different type of horse than my Counties. And where my County saddles have fit just about every horse that's walked into my barn over the years, my devoucouxes and butet have fit a grand total of 2 horses over the years (both very "round" little mares).

Though when it comes right down to it, I guess my suggestion would be to follow mvp's advice since she clearly knows her saddles :)

Sparky Boy
Oct. 2, 2010, 03:11 PM
I think I'm just curious about what else is out there and I've been toying with the idea of getting another saddle. I hadn't really thought about price yet. I like my newest stabilizer but because of the forward flaps, I cannot find saddle pads to fit it. I've also found that both of my saddles tend to get very slippery no matter what I use to clean them.

The horse I'd be fitting is a round little mare and takes a wide tree in her stabilizer.

Green Acres
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:29 PM
I have heard / read that many think Black Country saddles are compariable to County's. I rode in a Ricochet (sp) but to me that was like an all purpose saddle so I didn't like it. I thought about trying the Quantum but haven't yet.

I have to get a new saddle for my new horse since my current Stabilizer doesn't fit her. I just can't get away from County's cause I LOVE them. Today I sat in a Beval & Stackhouse and didn't like the feel of either of them.

When I first read this I thought, Why would you want something other than County. :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

mvp
Oct. 2, 2010, 06:59 PM
You might indeed like a BC Quantum. It will feel like "more saddle" that a Stabilizer. But you probably won't find it to be "in your way."

If I hadn't found the Victory I did, I would have ordered a BC Quantum with a straighter flap than the one that comes on it.

The seat is a little deeper than the Stabilizer, but the balance point-- the deepest part of the seat is long. You won't feel trapped. It's pretty wide and soft through the seat, so you might find it similar to the Stabilizer.

I find that the BCs fit horses differently than the Stabilizer. My horse liked the tree and panel design better. If you are ready to think outside the County box and want to save about $700 get a demo from Trumbull Mountain Saddlerly and see what you think.

I'm fussy about beautiful saddles and leather, so I'd call the "fit and finish" of the BC will be one step below the County. Most other people would put them in the same category.

Irish Ei's
Oct. 2, 2010, 09:59 PM
I think I'm just curious about what else is out there and I've been toying with the idea of getting another saddle. I hadn't really thought about price yet. I like my newest stabilizer but because of the forward flaps, I cannot find saddle pads to fit it. I've also found that both of my saddles tend to get very slippery no matter what I use to clean them.

The horse I'd be fitting is a round little mare and takes a wide tree in her stabilizer.

Jack's Mfg does make a large sized square pad and Toklat and Wilkers make shaped fleece pads to saddle sizes.

I've got a dozen of the Jack's, all custom ordered for less than $65 each, and NO foam filling.

horsepoor
Oct. 3, 2010, 12:17 AM
I will qualify my answer first by saying my very favorite saddle for me is the Tad Coffin, but when it wasn't fitting my horse, I had to go to a County Stabilizer. And while I like the Stabilizer well enough, if I could have stayed in my TC, I would have! So the fact that I like the TC means I like a pretty minimal saddle, don't mind it being hard, and tend to like a straighter, not forward flap.

You mentioned French and I suppose a Butet might be somewhat similar to the Stabilizer -- it is comfortable but not quite so padded and sofa-like as, say, the Devoucoux. But good luck finding a horse that a Butet will fit.

If your Stabilizers are slippery, are they just the regular calf leather? I have the bull leather on my Stabilizer and it is quite sticky. I have also heard that the XTR leather is a bit more tacky (hmm...I meant sticky-tacky but I think it is ugly too so tacky is a good word for it!).

If you really want to look elsewhere, I would 2nd or 3rd the recommendation to try Black County. I had one on trial for a bit and really liked it and would have ordered one except that horse went lame (at least he had the good sense to go lame before I bought the new saddle, unlike my horse that I ordered the County for...). The only thing that I wasn't as crazy about was I felt the flap was a bit too forward for me, as I have shortish legs, but sounds like that would be a plus for you. It was the Quantum that I was trying.

PNWjumper
Oct. 3, 2010, 02:44 AM
If your Stabilizers are slippery, are they just the regular calf leather? I have the bull leather on my Stabilizer and it is quite sticky. I have also heard that the XTR leather is a bit more tacky (hmm...I meant sticky-tacky but I think it is ugly too so tacky is a good word for it!).

I agree with the STICKy quality of the XTR leather. And I happen to like the look :) My Stabilizer has the XTR leather and is quite grippy, and as a side note, it's not terribly obvious. My Innovation is bull leather and is also very grippy, though not quite as much so as the XTR.

Sparky Boy
Oct. 3, 2010, 09:44 AM
Both of mine are calf leather.

I looked at the BC Quantum and it sure looks like an eventing saddle. I'll bet its impossible to find a fitted pad for that saddle too.

kgro632
Oct. 3, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have the Black Country Quantum with an inch more forward flap then their standard.

I have this pad in Prix and it fits fine!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover%92s-double-faced-luxo-fleece-saddle-pad/p/X1-1931/cn/4697/

I also just ordered a Fleeceworks and a Nuumed, both fitted both close contact. I'll let you know if they fit when I get them:)

PNWjumper
Oct. 3, 2010, 01:41 PM
What kind of saddle pads are you trying to find? I have an extra forward flap on my Innovation and I haven't had any problem with pads. But then I do the jumpers, so I haven't ever tried to find a fitted pad, and maybe that would be harder?

I have seen a bunch of specially shaped square pads for extra forward flaps that I'll find the link for if that's what you're looking for. Can't help with hunter pads, though.

Sparky Boy
Oct. 3, 2010, 04:17 PM
It's the fitted hunter pads that I can't find. If it fits the forward flap, then it generally doesn't fit the back of the saddle. I found a Beval pad that you can get with forward flap and it fits ok, but after a few washes it doesn't look good enough to show in.

horsepoor
Oct. 3, 2010, 05:43 PM
Can you just do a half pad? If you can do just a half pad, the flap fit won't matter.

Sparky Boy
Oct. 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
I do a half pad & baby pad at home. I'd rather not show in a half pad. I asked one of the vendors at a show recently about my pad dilemma and I was told "well that's because County primarily makes dressage saddles" huh, really? :rolleyes:

Langfuhr
Oct. 3, 2010, 09:58 PM
Flat Butet..

jn4jenny
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:40 AM
Both of mine are calf leather.

I looked at the BC Quantum and it sure looks like an eventing saddle. I'll bet its impossible to find a fitted pad for that saddle too.

The Quantum can be made to look like a "hunter saddle" not an eventing saddle. Just order it with what BC calls the close contact flap. Example:
http://www.hastilowusa.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=355&prevaction=category&previd=17&prevstart=0

kgro632
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:28 AM
Sparky Boy-

Try a Fleeceworks close contact pad. I got mine today and it fits my BC Quantum with an extra forward flap.

Here is a pic of my Quantum:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/AndersHeintz/Kate%20Pictures/BCLeatherbalm.jpg

I don't think it looks like an eventing saddle but..?

Sparky Boy
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:28 AM
Sparky Boy-

Try a Fleeceworks close contact pad. I got mine today and it fits my BC Quantum with an extra forward flap.

Have you tried the combination on your horse yet? Did if fit the back of the saddle as well as the flaps?

kgro632
Oct. 6, 2010, 04:41 PM
Have you tried the combination on your horse yet? Did if fit the back of the saddle as well as the flaps?

Yes, I tried it on him today! Flaps and back both fit.(my saddle is a 17.5)

This is the exact pad I got. CC, onsale right now from dover for $40.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-19634

I would imagine that all of there CC pads fit the same. It would probably be worth trying this pad out first before you spend $180 on their full fleece.