PDA

View Full Version : So, where to find all these 16" and 16.5" used saddles?

Fantastic
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:43 PM
With the help of all you friendly Hunter Jumper riders, it appears that I need to find a 16" or a 16.5" saddle. Darn! No child sizes for me! :( But could I get an adult saddle at a child's price, pretty please? :lol:

I am not planning on getting back into showing in the big Hunter ring again after 20 something years of being away from it, but I could see possibly doing some schooling shows or something more low key. In other words, I don't need some fancy expensive jumping saddle.

I have been looking at my local CL = nothing. Also at ebay. Where would be a good place to search, or does anyone know of a private individual selling a suitable saddle? Med/Wide tree please.

S1969
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:28 PM
I had the same problem. Very hard to find them locally, and even harder to find one that you can take on trial. One of our local tackstores also only keeps 17" demos for trials so it's impossible to determine if they fit you.

What area/state are you in? Maybe that would help people give you some ideas. Probably also useful to give an idea of your budget.

joiedevie99
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't buy online unless you know exactly what you are looking for. Go borrow saddles and take used saddles out on trial from the tack shop. Once you have some idea about depth of seat, front block, rear block, thigh block, pencil roll, which brands feel balanced for your proportions- then go bargain hunting (assuming this saddle isn't meant to fit any specific horse). If you need to fit it to a horse, bargains generally don't work out so well.

MelanieC
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:01 PM
I think there were some at Gallops -- I was just in there looking for saddles that size, but dressage saddles. :) The ladies working there were h/j riders and they have a decent number of used saddles to look at although most of them are in pretty great shape and priced accordingly.

STA
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:45 PM
STA551.com, usedsaddles.com, Bevals

whatnow
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:56 PM
Many of the reps (Devoucoux, Antares etc) have 16 and 16 1/2 saddles in their used inventory. This is a pretty popular size for the kids to outgrow and then trade in. Quite a few of the upper end saddle companies have junior program where the kids can keep trading in saddles until they are 18 for a nominal amount.

I've had good luck with the upper end reps. You can go to their online sites if you know what you are looking for. If you don't then it makes it a bit difficult. You need to know what fits you and your horse, shipping saddles to you to try becomes expensive pretty quickly.

www.fineusedsaddles.com is a good website. She generally has a good selection and I think you have a couple of days to try them. www.used-devoucoux.com is good as well and I know they have a trial period.

PinkPonies
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:17 PM
I will second usedsaddles.com. They have a good trial program, a good selection and good prices. I think trials are SO important when buying a new saddle (unless you know exactly what you want)!

They get new saddles in frequently and are always updating their website - but I saw a few 16 and 16.5 saddles on there now.

ETA: I like this one - good deal and the older Pessoas are great saddles! http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=7itqn4rz

Guin
Oct. 1, 2010, 07:51 PM
I sent you a PM.

doublesstable
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:00 AM
http://www.highendusedsaddles.com/

I like this place... but would dissagree on not getting a good saddle just because you are not showing the big stuff.

COMFORT for both horse and rider are important... and I can tell you from experience as I am aging I require a better seat so I don't hurt. You can get a used high end saddle for less than you could pay for a lesser made saddle new.

Sit in them and if possible, ride in them... Good luck...