PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette for leaving barn midway through month?

RxCate
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:22 PM
I sold my horse at the end of last month, but she's not leaving until somewhere between the 15th & 30th of this month (will be getting a definite date from shipper soon).

Now, I'm paying my board today (it's self-care), but if she does end up leaving closer to the 15th and not the full month, should I expect to get back the money that would've gone for each of the rest of the days?

Or do you pay the month and that's it ?

There is no boarding contract, a friend owns the farm, but no longer rides so another friend and I just kind of run things on our own and take care of our own horses/the barn.

I plan on asking her how she wants it done, but I wanted to know the normal etiquette for this sort of thing. I've never left a barn mid-month.

joiedevie99
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
Normal etiquette is 30 days notice to leave, or pay for 30 days from the date you did give notice.

analise
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
All advice I've ever seen for leaving a barn is that you give 30 days notice of your leaving, even if you are going to be gone within 15.

What this means, practically, is that you pay for the month in full even if you plan on leaving before the end of it.

(unless, of course, you've got other arrangements with the barn owner and preferably those would be in writing.)

RxCate
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ah okay

Alright, I'll just pay her for the month then like I was planning on :)

CHT
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:31 PM
I enforce a 30 days notice on horses moving with their owners, but if a horse is sold, I usually do not, as it is less likely the person can forsee when the horse is going to be sold....although really, from a business perspective it is still an empty spot.

Sheesh...my husband is right...I do need to start treating this as a business!

But to answer your question, I would offer the 30 days payment/notice and see what they say.

Oakstable
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:38 PM
I'm in a similar situation ... boarding horses out for training but have no control over when the horses will sell and leave.

It's a different scenario than a horse owner who wants to relocate for whatever reason.

What about paying by the week? It's very hard for someone to return money.

horsepoor
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:13 PM
If the horse is sold, the buyer/new owner should really be paying the board. Unless you made arrangements including that as part of the deal.

meupatdoes
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:15 PM
If something is not in writing, my practice is to offer 30 days payment from when I gave notice.

I don't like 30-days-from-the-first-of-the-month. If I give notice on August 2nd, I will happily pay through September 2nd, even if I leave on August 20th.

Not so happy to give notice on August 2nd and pay for an empty stall through September 30th. But no barn owner I have boarded with has ever required or even asked for that.

RxCate
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:20 PM
Right, and I don't mind paying it, it's not much and the BO is a good friend who lets us use all of her facilities just so that she can say they're being used LOL

Even if she did leave right at the 15th I wouldn't be betting back enough to really justify splitting it. If it was $500/month I might say something but it's not even close to that.

Thanks guys, I kinda knew I was going to pay the full month anyway, but I just wanted to see what you all thought :)

naturalequus
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:01 PM
Normal etiquette is 30 days notice however discuss it with her and she might be fine with 2 weeks' notice. If she was aware the horse was for sale, I would expect 2 weeks notice to be sufficient, really.

The primary facility I board at (indoor arena, etc) has a fantastic BO who gave us our money back for the full month of Sept when one of our horses had to be euthanised Sept 10th (she refused to take the money and just kept it over for one of our other horses for October board). If I sell a horse or lease out a horse and she was aware the horse was for sale or lease, she happily is fine with no notice, since she was well aware I was showing the horse and that it could leave at any time (she pro-rates it by week, unless it was less than a week or such, in which case she usually will not accept any money). I do not expect it however that is just how she is. This is a facility with probably about 50 horses, two arenas, trails, stall/paddock/pasture board, and that holds many events throughout the year.

The other pasture-board facility I board my 'sitting' horses at is more of a stickler, almost down to the day. However she has gotten a little better and usually is good with two weeks notice if she is aware the horse could move anytime after 30 days that I mention the horse is now available for lease or sale. This is a private facility however with only pasture board and an outdoor arena; smaller facility with only one other outside horse boarded there besides my three and their own three, so it is probably a little more of a hit to her if she has an empty spot than it is for the above facility where an empty spot might not be missed.

So it really depends on the facility. I think technically they should pro-rate the board if they are given 30 days notice the horse could move at any time because it is for lease or sale, however I do not fault them when I have to pay a full 30 day's board (unless maybe the horse left the 2nd of the month or such, I might be a tad miffed), particularly if it is a smaller facility or a friend.