PDA

View Full Version : EuroDressage.com has lost it

Velvet
Oct. 1, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm really cheesed off by Astrid's latest dork-oid statement, "two native Germans, who ride for Britain and the United States." She's talking about the WEG Grand Prix Special results.

Duh, AA, they do not just "ride" for our countries, they are now CITIZENS of our countries. Get it straight and stop making less of the fact that these people worked hard to become citizens of their new countries and are now representing said countries.

Not a great reporter if she's going to write that stuff and make less of the riders and the countries they represent. And trust me, this is NOT due to the fact that she doesn't speak English! This is Euro-centric dressage riding that wants to slam other countries.

suzy
Oct. 1, 2010, 02:40 PM
Honestly, Velvet, why are you so surprised! That's Aphid Aptless just doing what she does best. :lol:

Blue Domino
Oct. 1, 2010, 02:48 PM
Lets see, if it walks like a German, talks like a German, rides like a German,
it must be a duck?
2nd string German riders who joined another country so they could get to ride in the Olympics because they weren't good enough to ride for the German team. And thank God a German or two rides for the U.S.A.!

And thank God for the German system of dressage, a bulwark against Dutch neo con dressage.

Velvet
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:02 PM
That's another part of my point. They were tossed aside by the Germans. They weren't "good enough" and NOW they want to lay claim to them because they were supported by OUR countries and won silver and bronze medals?

She's trying to make the German's winners--and in this case, it's not true. Oh, yes, they trained there, but WE support Steffen and he found the opportunities to succeed by being in OUR country.

Yep, I'm going to beat the "We're Americans!" drum right now--because Steffen IS an American. I suggest the Brits do the same for Laura.

Velvet
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:16 PM
Oh, wait, I've got it now. She should have written about reining.

"McCutcheon, who has taught clinics in Germany, has won the Reining Gold Medal at the 2010 WEG."

Yep, that would fit with her form of reporting.

Plantagenet
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
I can see disagreeing with someone's opinion, but all Astrid did was state the facts.

Why does it 'cheese you off' that she mentioned that they were born in Germany?

There's been lots of talk about Katherine Bateson being born in Great Britain. Is that inappropriate too?

Plantagenet
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:26 PM
I see where you explained why it bothered you.

Velvet
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
She bugs me, because she makes it sound like we're renting them for our countries, rather than they are citizens of our countries representing our countries.

Equibrit
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:00 PM
I can see disagreeing with someone's opinion, but all Astrid did was state the facts.

Errrrrrrrrrrr- no.

There are no German born riders on the British team.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/equestrianism/8033719/Laura-Bechtolsheimer-lands-her-second-silver-medal-at-World-Equestrian-Games.html

All four born in the UK, and all four have lengthy junior and young rider records representing Great Britain. She really should know better.

LAURA BECHTOLSHEIMER WAS BORN IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE !

Sunnydays
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think you are making mountains out of molehills. Lighten up :)

ThreeFigs
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:46 PM
"LAURA BECHTOLSHEIMER WAS BORN IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE!"

I HAVE TROUBLE SPELLING HER LAST NAME AND HER BIRTHPLACE!

THANK YOU, EQUIBRIT!

Isabeau Z Solace
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:48 PM
We export riders to Germany and other countries too. Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum for one. I think Robert Dover and David O'Connor have done a little 'work' for other countries.

I wouldn't argue with the suggestion that the Germans produce more good riders and good Amateur riders than the USA. I also wouldn't argue that they have a better system. Hell, they have a system. I think maybe that is what makes the OP a little jealous. No doubt about it, the Germans have us beat there.

Velvet
Oct. 1, 2010, 08:15 PM
I an see the jealousy angle--especially since they didn't have anyone in the top three in the Grand Prix Special. I guess they have a need (or Aphid does--thanks suzy) to claim some glory that does not really belong to them.

We all know that Steffen came from there, but we also all know that he became an American citizen and is representing our country. He is not on loan to us. He's an American. It's insulting to only point out that he came from Germany and not to point out that he's an American, representing America.

nomeolvides
Oct. 1, 2010, 08:27 PM
Yep, I'm going to beat the "We're Americans!" drum right now--because Steffen IS an American. I suggest the Brits do the same for Laura.
We don't need to.

princessfluffybritches
Oct. 1, 2010, 08:55 PM
I would prefer to use good ole American riders, and import an Olympic level European trainer....or did we get some of them already?

ThreeFigs
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:15 PM
Hey, we had Balkenhol for a while...

Velvet
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah, we had Klaus, but did we only call him an American coach and never mention that he was a German citizen?

I'm guessing, with this additional information, that maybe the sour grapes do go much deeper. Think about it, we also have people who buy some of their really nice international horses. :yes:

CFFarm
Oct. 2, 2010, 08:29 AM
I remember reading that Steffen's favorite sport, next to riding, is surfing. Now if that's not Californian Dude, what is? OK, I guess he could of gone to Australia. But he's probably more American than a lot who were born here.

Equibrit
Oct. 2, 2010, 08:40 AM
I guess Belgium must not have a "system" then, as they don't produce championship riders. They don't seem to attract Germans however. Wonder why?
The offending portion seems to have disappeared, or maybe I just couldn't find it!

ise@ssl
Oct. 2, 2010, 10:49 AM
I am a grand-daughter of immigrants and I am a very proud American but I'm also proud of my Eastern-European heritage. Can't see why you are so angry at someone reporting what is actually FACT.

alicen
Oct. 2, 2010, 11:28 AM
According to the Fei, Bechtolsheimer was born in Germany: [url]http://www.fei.org/media/biographies
Sorry, can't copy link. It says she was born in Mainz FRG

Velvet
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:17 PM
I guess Belgium must not have a "system" then, as they don't produce championship riders. They don't seem to attract Germans however. Wonder why?
The offending portion seems to have disappeared, or maybe I just couldn't find it!

Yep, she fixed it. It's been rewritten and says they are German born, but then she lists the country the are citizens of and represent.

I also noticed that the new article, about the winners of the freestyle last night, correctly lists the country each of them represent.

Velvet
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:21 PM
I am a grand-daughter of immigrants and I am a very proud American but I'm also proud of my Eastern-European heritage. Can't see why you are so angry at someone reporting what is actually FACT.

Glad you're proud of your HERITAGE. The problem is that they were not reporting what country they are NOW from, nor the one they represent. At least AA wasn't at the time I started this. She has since amended the offending article.

NOMIOMI1
Oct. 2, 2010, 03:14 PM
Ah! Happens in every sport, even state wide from state to state in football/basketball.

Germany would take one of our great riders in a heartbeat lol.

It's not a surprise that she would claim some fame on them being from her country... As long as the WEG website shows those tiny lil flags lol I really don't care who says what!