PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Lovers I have questions

ginger708
Oct. 1, 2010, 12:19 PM
I am trying a new to me Prestige 2000. I am assuming that it is an older model but not sure how old. There are a lot of surface cracking in the leather, However it is not dry and is not scratching easily. It is stamped on the back with the LA Selleria and has large blue buttons with the horse head. Is the cracking normal wear and is their anything special I should know about this saddle?

Thanks for the help.

NoviceEvntr
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:11 PM
I got an older elastic k, new to me, about 2.5 years ago. It too has surface cracks on the seat near the pommel. They haven't changed at all since I bought the saddle, and they appear to be cosmetic. They do not go all the way through the leather. I just assumed the previous owned did not care for the saddle that well, but maybe it is something common for the older saddles? I got it for a good price, and both my horse and I are hard to fit, so I figured it was worth it. I love it...

TeamWahlen
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:03 AM
I have a used Prestige Top Dressage (me thinks) and the seat stitching has broken up from the side and you can now see the foam padding of the seat itself. :[ Sad, because it is a super comfortable saddle but it also no longer fits my horse.

ThreeFigs
Oct. 2, 2010, 11:51 AM
The surface cracking is no big deal. It's a characteristic of some leather. My Neidersuss has some surface cracks.

Torn seams in the seat, IMO, IS a big deal but can be fixed by a good saddler. I think it usually involves rebuilding the seat, though, which ain't cheap.

Hopefully a real saddler will check in with the facts!

alto
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:58 PM
If you don't love the saddle enough to replace the seat, you can have a patch done - it's not ideal but will certainly extend the longevity of the saddle.

I looked at a used Devoucoux recently that had stitching come loose at the knee rolls (actual gaping on both sides) - OK not too difficult/expensive a fix UNTIL I learned the owner had left it that way for 4 years :eek: storing it down at the barn (unheated tackroom in a rain zone) so now I know the foam padding will be full of mold ... I suppose I'd take the saddle as a giveaway at this point, but the degree of deterioration wouldn't be apparant until you actually opened the saddle up