PDA

View Full Version : Mustang reserve champion at Devon!

canyonoak
Sep. 30, 2010, 09:35 PM
http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=8402

<< An unexpected selection for Reserve Champion Stallion was Padré, a 10-year-old Bureau of Land Management Mustang that was born wild in the Palomino Valley, Nevada, herd.>>

Ridden and trained now by Patti Gruber, Padre is at Third Level and hopes to be at Devon next year in the dressage competition.

How cool!!!

buck22
Sep. 30, 2010, 09:42 PM
how very cool!

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:00 PM
That is great! I'm going out to the barn to tell my BLM mustang.

SportNCurls
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:12 PM
He's gorgeous! and from the same area some curly mustangs are found ;)

paintjumper
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:16 PM
Does anyone have any video....I'd love to see it! I have ridden 2 BLM mustangs...they are unbelievable.

PiaffePlease
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:28 PM
very cool! I'd love to see a video!

shawneeAcres
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:11 PM
THis is AWESOME! A "true" American horse! Guess the European WB's don't have a corner on the market after all ;)

Vesper Sparrow
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:22 PM
How wonderful! If I ever get another horse, I would love to have a BLM Mustang...

NOMIOMI1
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
I think this is him also

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/wild_horse_and_burro/wh_b_information_center/news/success_stories/success_stories_p2/patti_gruber_-_wayfarer.print.html

IdahoRider
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
This is very cool! And inspiring!
Sheilah

esdressage
Oct. 1, 2010, 02:05 PM
Love it! What a beautiful horse. :D

Bogey2
Oct. 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
BLM has been advertising horses for adoption on a Boston radio station. Never heard tha before. Maybe this news will help with some adoptions!

Bluey
Oct. 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
He resembles our old ranch horse, that came as a five year old from a feral horse herd in Nevada also, down to the over at the knee left front, the bay on the right here:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/Scan176March272010.jpg?t=1285956896

I wonder how smart it is to use a stallion that we don't know what the parents and so the lines would produce.
Our horse had bad knees and they shortened his life at the end, although that may not have been inherited, more part of being raised in droughty conditions, with poor nutrition when young.
He stood a hair over 15 hands.
I expect there will be some surprises in his foals, hopefully all good ones.:)

Interesting that such a horse beat others bred for whatever that class was judging.
Talk about a dark horse.;)

Reiter
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:54 PM
I think this is him also

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/wild_horse_and_burro/wh_b_information_center/news/success_stories/success_stories_p2/patti_gruber_-_wayfarer.print.html

What a wonderful article! :)

MelanieC
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have a very ignorant question -- reserve champion stallion in what sense? I've been to DAD a few times, but only to see the dressage competition, not the breed competition. He is a beautiful horse!

meupatdoes
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:28 PM
Haha, I wonder if all of the COTHers who have gone on record that they "wouldn't consider anything that isn't a warmblood for dressage" would turn their nose up at him.

"Hey, would you like a horse that was Reserve Champ at Devon?"
"YES!"
"Btw it's a mustang."
":o:o:o"

Conversely I wonder how many of theirs were Reserve Champ at Devon...
Since they have such elite horse selection principles they profess to adhere to I'm sure they only choose the best of the best, so Devon ought to be well within reach. :lol:

CHT
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:41 PM
What on earth is meant by "genetically pure Mustang"?

siegi b.
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:52 PM
As usual, Meupatdoes, you're missing the point.... :)

As somebody who has had a Grand Champion at Devon and who has been breeding performance horses for the last 25 years, there is no way I would use Padre in my program. Way too many unknowns about his heritage and what he brings to the table.

But then I've also said that I wouldn't use Totilas in his first year as a stud and there are way more facts known about his heritage. :)

bathsheba8542
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:57 PM
What a lovely animal! Congratulations to Padre, and all those who brought him to this special moment.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:07 AM
I watched him & thought he looked like a teddy bear type with kinda floppy ears. Just loved him. He makes you want to give him a hug. I bet he's a joy for his rider/owner everyday.

dwblover
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:10 AM
That is a heartwarming story!:)

meupatdoes
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:47 AM
As usual, Meupatdoes, you're missing the point.... :)

As somebody who has had a Grand Champion at Devon and who has been breeding performance horses for the last 25 years, there is no way I would use Padre in my program. Way too many unknowns about his heritage and what he brings to the table.

But then I've also said that I wouldn't use Totilas in his first year as a stud and there are way more facts known about his heritage. :)

Uh, firstly, what's with the "as usual" snipe? No need to dress that one up with a smiley face, really.

Secondly, where did I say anything about breeding?
I was talking about COTHers who wouldn't consider anything that isn't a warmblood TO RIDE, because anything not purpose bred is inferior in their eyes.

The point being (since you profess I have missed it) that their "conformation and suitability" analysis doesn't always depend on what is standing right there in front of them. At some point you have to look up from the papers and assess the actual horse and see how it might be TO RIDE.

canyonoak
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:10 AM
FWIW, from the article on Patti Gruber's website linked above:

<< The call came from a veterinarian I work with. He had a Mustang stallion. Doc was studying the relationship of genetics in over-bred domestic breeds with the focus on determining whether leg problems could be eliminated by breeding domestic mares with his genetically pure Mustang stallion Padre'. Over the years, Doc spoke of the great personality and quiet nature of Padre' and his demeanor and personality that was always passed on to his offspring.>>

The 'Doc' mentioned is Dr. Rick Redden, a well-known vet whose specialty is farriery/shoeing/innovation.