PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me identify these show coats?

Gil's Girl
Sep. 30, 2010, 07:13 PM
I'm cleaning out my closet and accumulating a pile of show coat's from throughout my sibling's show days - but some don't have tags and I have no idea what they are - anyone have any ideas?

One type has 4 buttons down the front, with one pocket on one side and two pockets, one on top of the other, on the other side. Plus, a vent in the back with a two buttons on top. Is it a hunt coat? Or for dressage? Or a boy's coat?

And the other is cut like my GP coats, but has no tag - it just says "A Mark of The World's Best - 100% Wool" on one little tag, and "Made by American Craftsman" on another - is this just a mark of the fabric, or the brand?

Any experts on coats/fits?

The Centaurian
Sep. 30, 2010, 07:27 PM
The 4 button is a dressage coat, but if it has a horizontal seam around the waist, it's a frock coat, which might also be a coat for field hunters in some circumstances.

Gil's Girl
Sep. 30, 2010, 07:34 PM
okay thank you! so i think that one is a dressage coat then, and i got it wrong - only one has 4 buttons and the button vent, the other only has 3, but they're brass, and it has a bright gold lining - a hunt coat for the field? Is there a way to tell the whether it's men's/women's? It fits me strangely - too long, and I'm tall.

The Centaurian
Sep. 30, 2010, 07:35 PM
Men's coats button on the opposite side from women's coats.