PDA

View Full Version : Show Scene in Oregon?

Equine Adhesive
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:40 PM
I was reading the other thread about h/j lesson barns in Eugene, OR. I am curious, are there h/j shows in the area, or just around Portland? Rated, unrated/schooling? Thanks!

MR
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:35 PM
Yup, shows in the Eugene area - not just Portland.

This is a good place to look for shows:
http://www.flyingchanges.com/htmls/events.html

Also, many of the rated shows (including some in Eugene) are here:
http://www.teamnwequestriansports.com/05/12/mothers-day-classic/

Of course, the Portland area has the largest shows in the state (for H/J) - like Country Classic - also managed by Mike's company.
http://www.teamnwequestriansports.com/07/14/country-classic/

Hopefully, so other local folks with chime in. :)

Calvincrowe
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
There is also a Southern Oregon HJ association (they may have a website) that holds shows in that end of the state, mostly "unrated". There is a vibrant H/J and eventing scene, as well as a large dressage show community in Oregon.

It is 3 hours from Eugene to Wilsonville (well, a bit less) for the big A shows, and only 2 hours to Bend for the two "grass ring A shows" there in July. Triplerise of Eugene runs those shows for the most part and they travel all over the NW for shows.

There is a new system of B/C shows coming on in the area, too, as the economy has created the need for smaller, yet still competetive show scene.

PNWjumper
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:33 PM
I hate to admit it, being a Washingtonian and all, but I think that OR has possibly surpassed WA in the number and quality of H/J shows (and by "possibly surpassed" I mean "blown away"). Between Mike and Mollie Gallaway's shows (including those that Shelly Campf used to run) and the other OR venues like the Bend shows, there are a lot of opportunities to win some decent money AND jump good sized fences (unlike many of the WA shows that have dumbed down the heights and divisions.....such as running the AO-should-be-4'6" classes at 3'11"):
www.triplerisehorseshows.com
www.HAPshows.com
(and I think the main shows from those two websites were merged to here: http://www.teamnwequestriansports.com/)
http://www.jbarj.org/ohdc/

I don't know much about the unrated or schooling show atmosphere, but it sounds like there are some decent shows (several are listed on the above websites), and I know that Lake Oswego Hunt Club runs a few as well: (www.lakeoswegohunt.com)

Darkstar
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:55 AM
I hate to admit it, being a Washingtonian and all, but I think that OR has possibly surpassed WA in the number and quality of H/J shows (and by "possibly surpassed" I mean "blown away").

YUP! It's kind of sad really that Washington is mishmashed between Oregon and BC, and we can't get our act together.

Equine Adhesive
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys, I checked out some of the links. I want to go to the Thanksgiving schooling show in Boring. Now I just have to find a ride for my horse. Most of the people at my barn show dressage or event (I will also do some horse trials this summer).

I am sorry to hear the WA scene is sparse. That is a surprise!

Thoroughbred1201
Oct. 1, 2010, 04:28 PM
Washington actually has some big shows. But unfortunately, with the exception of Evergreen Classic, and a newer show at Donida, most are at the Monroe Fairgrounds. They've done a good job updating the fairgrounds, and adding some really fun big classes (Flat Equ classic, Handy Hunter Class, etc) but it's still the same old place with the same limited space and car track next door.

The Evergreen Classic is now held in Carnation at the Remlinger Horse Park right on the river and it's incredible. The Grand Hunter field is just that - big, irregular shape, and weaving through trees. That show has become a real showstopper.

But honestly, aside from Evergreen, I think Milner Downs, followed by Thunderbird Showpark in BC are the places to go.

tegotong
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:02 PM
You would rank Milner over Thunderbird? Well maybe if you do hunters. Doesn't Shelly Campf still run her shows outside Portland?

Seal Harbor
Oct. 1, 2010, 05:12 PM
You would rank Milner over Thunderbird? Well maybe if you do hunters. Doesn't Shelly Campf still run her shows outside Portland?

Shelly and Triple Rise have joined forces. Mike and Mollie run the shows. The management for Shelly's shows is called Team Northwest.

They also run the Evergreen Classic at Remlinger Farms in August.

Thoroughbred1201
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:03 PM
You would rank Milner over Thunderbird? Well maybe if you do hunters.

Exactly. The grand hunter ring at Milner is incredible. Room for 9-10 stride lines, irregular shaped, etc. Thunderbird hunters are just the same old rings - set up for line/diagnol/line/diagnol. Except the Hunter Derby, where they hold it on the Gran Prix field.

Thames Pirate
Oct. 1, 2010, 07:41 PM
EA, where exactly are you located?

CC, it's only two hours from Eugene to Wilsonville (our barn is south of Eugene too). I mostly event, but it seems like the shows I've seen are high quality and not too hard to get to.

LovesHorses
Oct. 1, 2010, 08:24 PM
The Evergreen Classic is actually run by the WSHJA.

PNWjumper
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:08 AM

Mike and Molly were brought on to manage the show last year (I think....could have been 2 years ago?). So the Evergreen Classic is a WSHJA show but is also run by the Gallaways.

Seal Harbor
Oct. 2, 2010, 01:24 AM
Actually it is not. Mike and Molly are the show managers. They do the running. The date is owned by WSHJA they hire management to run it, which would be the Galloway's.

They have run it since 2009. Caroline Jones managed/ran it in 2008.

eclipse
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:30 PM
Is the Evergreen Classic the show that is right before Thunderbird and is near Seattle? My trainer was talking about doing a week in Seattle before Thunderbird next year.

Kestrel
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:05 PM
Yep. They have a web site: http://www.evergreenclassic.com/