PDA

View Full Version : Speak to me of Fort Leavenworth...... OMG.

naters
Sep. 30, 2010, 12:18 PM
May have to move to Fort Leavenworth next year (or the year after) for work. Any barns there? Boarding? Training?

What's the horse scene like out there?

Thanks!

nlk
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:14 PM
Only thing I know of is that it use to be a high security Army prison. Don't know if it still is.

Usually with military bases, they have a boarding facility specifically for those families stationed there. Are you moving for military reasons? If so that makes life easy.

Hunter Mom
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:10 PM
They host several area circuit shows on base each year. Nice enough ring. They do have stables on post as well, with a smallish indoor nearby. If you want a show barn, Debbie Morrison is just outside of town (technically outside of Lansing, but who can tell where Leavenworth stops and Lansing starts??) and she does go to a number of bigger shows each year and has a lovely facility. She has a website, too.

There are three active h/j circuits in the area. Kansas City Professional Horseman's Association (KCPHA) hosts shows mostly in the KC area. Great Plains Hunter Association (GPHA) has shows in KC and Lawrence (30 minutes west), and Kansas Hunter Jumper Association (KHJA) has shows in KC to Manhattan (90 minutes west). All three have good turnout at shows, good footing, nice prizes and great people. We've shown at all 3 (mainly KHJA since we live an hour west of KC) and have had a good time. For rated shows, there is now just one in KC - the American Royal. It's h/j weekends are coming up Oct 8-10 and then 13-18. Most folks around here go to rated in Iowa, St. Louis, Tulsa, Oklahoma City or Colorado.

There are actually a number of h/j barns in the KC area. Here are a few, with number that might be correct. These are all on the Kansas side of KC, but not sure on how far they'd be from Leavenworth.
Tom Davenport – Summer Hill Farm - 913-592-5525
Brandy Stock - Church Hill Farms – (913) 533-2300
Julie Pickering –Julie Pickering Equine Enterprises - ??
Jane Schweiger – White Fox Manor – 913-592-3650
Michelle Jones – Walnut Ridge Farm - 816-665-6848
Debbie Morrison - Cherokee Valley Farm – (913) 250-0423
Chris Cheyne(?) – Kirin Farms - (913) 533-2450

Leavenworth is a cute town. Very focused on two industries - military and prisons. It's close to KC, though - I'd say 20 minutes to downtown KC. The fort is beautiful - lots of beautiful old architecture and sitting on the bluff over the river. Because it is largely officers there for school, it has a different flavor than any other base I've been around. It's also close to Lawrence, which has a very different vibe with the university there - very liberal!

I grew up in the area, and still live here (obviously) so if you have any questions, please ask! I love this area!! You can PM me too.

Jaegermonster
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:32 PM
There is a foxhunt there, Fort Leavenworth Hunt. They have a fb page

naters
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hunter Mom = WOW! Thanks!!! That is even more horsey stuff than they have for me here in my little part of NC!

Won't know for about another year if I am moving that way or not, but it actually sounds pretty great!!!

Hunter Mom
Oct. 1, 2010, 07:53 PM
Oh, the cost of living there isn't huge, either. That's always nice when moving from the coast.

Midge
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:15 AM
May have to move to Fort Leavenworth next year (or the year after) for work.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire! Naters, naters, what's the story?

fair judy
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:20 AM
Oh, the cost of living there isn't huge, either. That's always nice when moving from the coast.

you can move to the midwest with a modest portfolio ( even in this economy) and retire well!!! i highly recommend it.

naters
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Midge!! May have to go supervise an environmental project out there for a year (but won't really know till next year). I am the only one in my office with out kids/family, so looks like it may be me that goes......

Felt like I should get some horsey information to decide whether I hate that idea or like it... seems like it would be fun though from the above posts!!

What are you up to these days? Haven't seen you since Aiken. If you are in Aiken, you should just go stay at my house when you are in town (I miss my house, LOL)

Due's Mom
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:11 PM
I spent the first 30 years of my life in the Leavenworth- KC area and is a fun place for having horses! We were members of the FLH when I was a kid and involved in Pony Club as well. The showing isn't as good there now as it was then but there is still a LOT going on there.

You could do a LOT worse, believe me ( and I have) :)

I still have a lot of horse friends back there.

naters
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
The only thing that really worries me (now that I know there is nice horse stuff) is the tornadoes....

I lived in Oklahoma when I was little for a few years, and still remember being so scared and hiding in the closet with the tornado sirens going on in the background....

I think I have a little tornado PTSD......

Hunter Mom
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'd be more scared of hurricanes! Besides, we have basements in Kansas. :) I think we only had the sirens go off once this year, actually.

naters
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:31 PM
Just out of curiosity - what do most folks do with the horses when the sirens go off? Leave them outside? Inside?