PDA

View Full Version : Success with dyeing brown tack?

Megsabelle
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
I recently got a really, really good buy on a Pink Equine bridle in brown (to match my new (well used, but new to me) brown dressage saddle. It did not come with reins and I really, really like riding with leather reins- Pink Equine only does rubber or web. So, I got a really nice pair of used Otto Schumaker reins...problem is is that they are not as red as the bridle. I don't know if this makes sense, but the darkness of the brown is close, but the reins do not have the maroon tone of the bridle. Has anyone been able to add a hint of red to leather with success? Or will the bridle be less "red" with use and cleaning?

Thanks in advance!

pintopiaffe
Sep. 30, 2010, 09:36 PM
Yes, I have used Fiebings dyes to 'match' browns.

It's far trickier than just going to black (or darker...) but it can be done. I was trying to match a nice true 'chestnut' colour.

I got three different shades of brown, cordovan, military brown, and um... something tan (It's in ME, I'm in KY, sorry) and tried little, tiny test spots until I found which one was the right match. Tandy folks can be really handy too if you contact them and tell them what you are trying to do.

On reins, at least, you could test back at the hand part and you wouldn't notice.

Do you have a local cobbler? Mine has the dyes in stock in many shades, and would be able to tell you in a heartbeat which one would add the right tone.

I'm sure you know this already, but don't dye the underside, just the top, and don't wear your white gloves for a while after the job. I have a very long process that I don't get bleed, EXCEPT if we have an exceptional amount of sweat or rain in the early days post dye-ing. :p