PDA

View Full Version : A Hunter Barns near NYC

AmazingGrace13
Sep. 30, 2010, 07:57 AM
I am a mother looking to get back into riding. Buying is in my very near future, however I have not ridden in about 10 years. I used to show in WEF do all the big stuff so I know what's up. I want to ride at a barn near NYC that has NOT BROKEN lesson horses to get me back in the saddle.

Any recommendations??

THANKS

SnicklefritzG
Sep. 30, 2010, 08:13 AM
I take it you live in NYC? How far are you willing to travel?

AmazingGrace13
Sep. 30, 2010, 09:40 AM
Yes I live in the city. I am open to all suggestions.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
In a similar position (minus the mother part), so curious to hear what's out there.

Mayaty02
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:54 AM
I think you need to provide some more info. There are tons of big show barns within an hour in Katonah, Bedford, North Salem, Wilton, CT, Ridgefield CT etc, but going there would require you to have a car. Also, how many times per week do you want to ride? Will you be trying to get there after work or content to ride only on weekends?

I only have personal exp with one show barn in Wilton, CT that has (or had at least 2 yrs ago) VERY nice school horses, including a very nice former successful A circuit conformation hunter. I went there after being away from horses for 16 yrs and really had a great time starting back up, they had several horses for me to ride. But again, it's pretty far from NYC, wouldn't be convenient for going after work. If you're interested in the name, you can PM me.

You can do a search on the boards because I know this has been discussed many times on this board...

LenaMA
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:01 AM
When I lived in the city I struggled. The barns near the city (and before it closed my scary experience in the city) are expensive and crowded. I got a car, moved to Jerz and now ride out in Bedminster at a terrrrrrific place. If you want to take the train out to me (I'm really close to the city) I'd be happy to carpool out for lessons.

PM me if interested.

HUET Brunette
Sep. 30, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hi, these links may help as well. I live in Queens and ride in Medford - I understand the traveling involved. Best of luck.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198595&highlight=barn+near+new+york+city

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252512&highlight=barn+near+new+york+city

NYCGIRL
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:11 PM
I show in the A/O hunters and in my opinion the following list of people are geared to the a/o's who want to be competive at A shows. I would highly recommend Molly and Patty their farm is arcadia one goes to Wef and one stay homes through the winter. Kate who owns Ceo farm or Brooke Baldwin-degrazia but can’t think of the name of her farm. I think Kate and Brooke both go down to Wef for the entire time, but not sure about that. I also would suggest T. Whitehead who owns eight fences LLC, I know he goes to fl the entire time though. All these barns are within an hour of nyc and are in Westchester county. Feel free to pm if you have any questions and good luck.

NYCGIRL
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:23 PM
Forgot to mention not sure if any of these places have school horses some I know may have something they own and may let you ride. It is worth giving them a call if you are serious about getting back into it.

meupatdoes
Sep. 30, 2010, 05:03 PM
I second Molly and Patty at Arcadia.
They had a school horse or two when I rode with them (but this was 15 years ago, egads, so you might want to recheck).
For when you buy, the last I heard from them board was just under $3k per month and I think it includes everything training/lesson/care wise at home.

T. Whitehead, who was also mentioned, is excellent but I don't think he has lesson horses and if you own your own he is ASTRONOMICALLY expensive. Like it shakes out to $10k+ per month per horse and the billing is unpredictable.

Ox Ridge and Fairfield Hunt Clubs might have stuff for you to ride, not too up on how their program works anymore but worth a google.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 30, 2010, 05:04 PM
T. Whitehead, who was also mentioned, is excellent but I don't think he has lesson horses and if you own your own he is ASTRONOMICALLY expensive. Like it shakes out to $10k+ per month per horse and the billing is unpredictable.

Wow, really? Is everything a la carte or what? $3k is understandable, but $10k?!

nycrider2004
Sep. 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
can offer some advice if you'd like to pm me...

prosefullstop
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:46 PM
Ox Ridge and Fairfield Hunt Clubs might have stuff for you to ride, not too up on how their program works anymore but worth a google.

Fairfield Hunt Club has lesson horses, but I believe you have to buy your own horse after a year. The membership fee for the first year is $2k or so. (I hope I have that right--I asked a couple of years ago, so my memory is a little foggy.)

I live in NYC and ride in the Westchester area, though at a very low level (a re-rider after fifteen years, I was more accustomed to tearing around stubble fields on ponies than competing at a high level). Anyway, there are some fantastic barns in the North Salem area--Vail Farm, Old Salem Farm, River Horse Farm, Pavillion Farm...

And I've only sighted the facility from the car, but JT Farm, which is in South Salem, looks quite beautiful.

panda819
Sep. 30, 2010, 08:00 PM
Right near the North Salem area in Mahopac, NY is Carla Sacco who owns and runs Zephyr Farm. She has school/lease horses, she is very reasonable and a great trainer.

CThorse
Sep. 30, 2010, 08:22 PM
I third Arcadia. PM me if you want any info on the barn!

SnicklefritzG
Sep. 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
If you are open to traveling, JT farm in South Salem NY is only an hour or so outside of Manhattan. It is run by Jim Toon who is excellent and does the A circuit. I grew up in that area and still have a house near there so I drive by the facility all the time. The instruction is top notch and they have very extensive and gorgeous facilities. What I don't know is the situation regarding horses to use for lessons, but it's definitely worth calling them to find out what they offer.

Nona Garson has a facility in Tewsbury, NJ, they advertise that they are "only an hour from manhattan", but my experience is that it will take you AT LEAST one hour to get there going out and on the way back you will always run into traffic unless you aim to leave before 2pm or so. They do have lesson horses as well as those you can lease full or part time.

In all honesty, I think you are better off looking for options in westchester county or places in NJ that are just across the river.

STA
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:59 PM
Jackie McQuade is in North Salem. She has three customers who are amatuers and show quite a bit. Jackie may be a good person to make a call to get started. Send me a message if you want a telephone number.

Janet
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:09 PM
I third Arcadia. PM me if you want any info on the barn!
I have never "ridden" at Arcadia, but I have known Patty since we were both 12 (and she was riding Western) , and I visit a couple of times a year.

If they have horses for lessons (and I think they do), I would strongly recommend them.

The barn is just off the Taconic, and closer to the city than many other places mentioned.