PDA

View Full Version : what is a good year HDR saddle to buy?

mustangsal85
Sep. 29, 2010, 08:32 PM
I tried a new(er) one - probably a year old - about a month ago and hated it. Rode in my friend's today and loved it, but she is unsure how old hers is but has had it for about 3 years. I used to ride in an HDR in high school and really liked it. I found one for a good price but the owner said it was purchased brand new in 2006 and I am concerned that that is after the quality decreased. Anyone have any opinions on what age HDR saddles are quality and which ones are not?

I realize I am looking at a lower end saddle, and my reason for doing so is that I am currently riding a couple of different horses and am not horse shopping at the moment (I will start again in the spring, had some financial stuff come up) and I need a saddle that I can use to show and school in but that will fit different horses and that isn't way expensive on the chance that whenever I do buy a horse, whenever that is, I won't have a very expensive saddle sitting around.

howardh
Sep. 30, 2010, 08:17 AM
What is expensive? HDR has lots of models, some very entry level for $500 and others that are very nice in the $800 range.

if you can find a used Pro Series you would have a decent saddle.

sptraining
Sep. 30, 2010, 02:17 PM
I had an HDR a long time ago and disliked it. I rode in another one three years ago, and disliked it. Rode in one this year, and disliked it. The leather is hard and I never could find a good spot to sit in it. I've seen similar issues with other riders and HDRs.

I have ridden in Dover's saddles and like them a lot more for a low-end saddle. You can probably find a good deal on them used.

Just my experience though...

mustangsal85
Sep. 30, 2010, 02:23 PM
What is expensive? HDR has lots of models, some very entry level for $500 and others that are very nice in the $800 range.

if you can find a used Pro Series you would have a decent saddle.

I found an older Pro for $425 after shipping. Getting a trial on it but crossing my fingers that it works because if it is anything like the one I used to have I will love it!

PinkPonies
Sep. 30, 2010, 02:23 PM
I rode in an HDR a few years ago - it was at least 2004 or older. It was terrible - hard, slippery leather and forced my leg back and pitched me forward. So I don't think it's the date they are made. Like howardh said, there are different models so maybe that is where you're seeing the quality difference.

my_doran
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:26 PM
i have a HDR close contact model.i bought it brand new in '05 for $1000(with leathers and irons).the thing i like about this brand is,is that i have yet to find a horse it doesn't fit.
my dislike is that it tends to make me feel like i am being forced more forward then id like.
i found leather waas a bit stiff for a while too,but softened with wear.otherwise IMO its a good saddle make.