PDA

View Full Version : Vet. med. def. of hyperflexion

spirithorse
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:18 PM
"hyperflexion flexion of a limb or part beyond the normal limit".
Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved

So, here is a clear definition of "hyperflexion" that applies to the horses.
1. Rolkur 'does' over flex the poll and the neck.
2. LDR 'can' over flex the poll-dependent upon rider input.
3. LDL 'does not' appear to meet the criteria for hyperflexion.

http://nicholnl.wcp.muohio.edu/DingosBreakfastClub/BioMech/BioMechLightness.html

ridgeback
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:21 PM
"hyperflexion flexion of a limb or part beyond the normal limit".
Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved

So, here is a clear definition of "hyperflexion" that applies to the horses.
1. Rolkur 'does' over flex the poll and the neck.
2. LDR 'can' over flex the poll-dependent upon rider input.
3. LDL 'does not' appear to meet the criteria for hyperflexion.

http://nicholnl.wcp.muohio.edu/DingosBreakfastClub/BioMech/BioMechLightness.html

Interesting because according to Dr. Hillary Clayton the carrot stretch nose to chest and nose between legs DOES NOT over extend the neck...She showed that at the seminar I went to last friday..

Spirithorse are you still using chains on your horse to jump?:lol:

spirithorse
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:26 PM
Nah...no chains...logs instead....LOL

As for Dr. Clayton's research, can you tell me what she used to come to this conclusion and presentation?

ThreeFigs
Sep. 30, 2010, 12:16 AM
Spirithorse, have you ever watched a horse scratch his chest or shoulder with his teeth? Yeah, yeah, I know it's not the same as using brute force to nail the horse's chin to its chest -- but horses do have that ability to scratch themselves in some amazing spots. That's not hyperflexion. My gelding can do it. He can very nearly reach his own privates for a scratch. He does it with ease. Perhaps other horses envy his flexibility. I don't know.

You have a knack for lifting bits of definitions that suit your agenda.

I, too am interested in Dr. Clayton's findings, but to learn from them. You, Spirithorse, lack the standing to criticize Dr. Clayton, her methods, or her conclusions. I would leave that to other scientists in that field.

You remind me of Dr. William Christmas, who designed an airplane called "The Christmas Bullet". I'm sure you can find information via Google.

princessfluffybritches
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:39 AM
Yes most horses can scratch an itch in odd places, but do they willingly hold that position for 20 minutes?

ridgeback
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:18 AM
Nah...no chains...logs instead....LOL

As for Dr. Clayton's research, can you tell me what she used to come to this conclusion and presentation?

Sorry saw the chains on your website. You are clearly a novice rider so it is very difficult to take what you say to seriously.

Dr Clayton's research is still underway but she has some very high tech equipment that showed what happens to the horses body when it goes into certain positions.

Bogey2
Sep. 30, 2010, 08:12 AM
Sorry saw the chains on your website.

seriously? spirithorse is this true?

ThreeFigs
Sep. 30, 2010, 09:03 AM
Of course not, PFB. I'm not here to defend RK, but to deflate Spirithorse's specious arguments.

Yes Bogey2, it's true, although the offending photo has been taken down.

Someone has it archived. It's been put up on threads in the past.

CHT
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:18 AM
Carrot stretches are done at a standstill. The horse is not being asked to engage its hind end. Rolkur requires the horse to be using its hind end...it is not just about having its chin to its chest...it is also about the tipping of the pelvis.