PDA

View Full Version : Jumpers without a groom??

c.harrison1
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:06 PM
So if anyone out there shows in the jumpers without a groom.. How do you 1) walk 2) tack up and 3) be ready to ride if you are early in the order?? Do you have to have a groom or helper?? Thanks :)

Tap2Tango
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:20 PM
I managed to groom for a BNT as well as show my own horse in the jumpers. It was tough, but I did it. I would make sure I got there extra early on the days that I showed so I could make sure she was clean and her tack was ready to go. Usually the division before us I would stud her and put her boots on and get myself ready. Then I would meet my trainer at the ring and walk the course then run back and get her tacked up and trot up to the ring. Luckily she didn't require much warmup so it only took us maybe ten minutes from the time we got up to the schooling ring to be ready to walk in for our round. If I went really early or the class was small I would bring her up to walk then usually one of the junior clients would hold her while I walked. If you pay attention to the courses used in the beginning of the day you may get lucky. A lot of courses are the same just fence heights adjusted in between divisions. I frequently walked with my trainer and other clients in the divisons before me.

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:25 PM
I usually get there early and walk with my trainer in another division. If I really am desperate to walk the course once the course is set, I'll tack the horse up early, keep her at the trailer (or sometimes my mother is nice enough to hold her for me) and I'll walk the course and then hop on and warm up.

wsmoak
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:29 PM
What eventers do: dismount near in gate, hold up reins and call out, "Can someone please hold a horse?" :)

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
What eventers do: dismount near in gate, hold up reins and call out, "Can someone please hold a horse?" :)
HAHAHA good question

t. nason
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
sent you a pm

c.harrison1
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks! I've been doing the early groom, early walk, but I got put 1st in a classic a few weeks ago and thankfully he let me slide down a few in the order, but I realize that wont always happen :)

enjoytheride
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:59 PM
Dress yourself, groom and saddle your horse, then tie him in his stall. Go walk your course, then put the bridle on and go warm up.

The alternative is to do it eventer style and ask someone to hold him.

Small Change
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
Honestly, there is usually some kind person who is willing to hold your horse while you walk - I know I've done it for people before! If you find out you're early in the line up, get you and your horse ready, school, then smile and ask nicely at the gate. Just be courteous and don't dawdle while you walk, in case they've got better things to do than entertain a stranger's horse. :)

eclipse
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:18 PM
Honestly, there is usually some kind person who is willing to hold your horse while you walk - I know I've done it for people before! If you find out you're early in the line up, get you and your horse ready, school, then smile and ask nicely at the gate. Just be courteous and don't dawdle while you walk, in case they've got better things to do than entertain a stranger's horse. :)

Yep...this is what I do too! I've never had anybody turn me down yet. :D And, I've never turned anybody down either if asked to hold!

joiedevie99
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:47 PM
Unless your horse is a man-eater, or will dance all over some poor person's toes- do it eventer style.

Big_Grey_hunter
Sep. 29, 2010, 07:24 PM
I've been asked by several strangers to hold their horse. As long as I don't have something I need to go do, I don't mind! Please teach your horse basic manners though. Just because it's a hot jumper doesn't mean the kind stranger appreciates getting bitten and trampled on.

PNWjumper
Sep. 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
I walk the course earlier in the day. But I guess that kind of depends on what division you're riding in. When I ride in the AOs, I'm almost always the last class of the day, so I have lots of opportunities to walk the course in earlier classes. I don't care if the fences aren't set exactly how they're going to be in the class with the only exception being a big class like the Grand Prix.

If they're going to completely reset the course for a classic (and by "reset" I mean move all of the lines from where they were earlier in the day, NOT just change the numbers) I'll make sure I'm there to walk the instant it opens, I'll walk the places I really want to make sure I get, and walk the jump-off quickly, then run back and hop on.

If I'm first I'll warm up the horse before the class and then ask whoever helped me school (if there was someone who helped me school) or I'll grab someone from the back gate (which has been everyone from the photographer to the show manager to one of the office gals to the food service people to a random stranger/parent/trainer/rider). Usually the back gate person is happy to help if you're the first one in and you're making an effort to make sure you get in on time.

I've been showing without a trainer (and often without a dedicated helper) for a while, and haven't ever had a situation where I couldn't walk the course. Worst case has always been that I have to move down in the order, and since I'm always ready to go earlier than my posted order (under normal circumstances), the back gate folks are usually happy to cut me a break in a pinch.

c.harrison1
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Ok I'll have to try Asking at the gate, I just didn't want to seem like a pain :) horsey is very sweet and quiet so that should be fine!

*Liz*
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:06 AM
I too used to groom for a fairly BNT and show my jumper at the same time. The trick is to stay organized, keep track of how the show/classes are moving along for the day, and get stuff done early/ahead of time.

As long as the horse isn't a complete loon, he can stand with caulks in in his stall for a few hours with no harm done. Keep your horse clean so you can give him a quick dust off and throw tack on. Ask a barnmate, friend, or acquaintance to hold your horse while you walk if you are unable to walk the course 1st thing in the morning or if the course is being changed for your class.

It's very possible to do, you just don't get much time for dawdling until after your horse is completely done.

Ray
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:19 AM
I have been the designated horse holder for course walks for my spouse for years :cool:

SkipChange
Sep. 30, 2010, 08:49 AM
I walk the course earlier in the day. But I guess that kind of depends on what division you're riding in. When I ride in the AOs, I'm almost always the last class of the day, so I have lots of opportunities to walk the course in earlier classes. I don't care if the fences aren't set exactly how they're going to be in the class with the only exception being a big class like the Grand Prix.

I used to agree with you, but I got burned during a classic at a show over the summer. I walked the course before the numbers set because no jumps were to going to be moved at all. Well, they didn't set the numbers correctly and I was the first to go. Now, everyone here may not look at the numbers but I do and it really through me off as I came into a downhill one stride that was set at least four feet too long. I escaped clean doing two strides, but had a very uncharacteristic rail elsewhere on course and lost some time. I know, just numbers shouldn't have mattered. But it did. I was offered a re-ride, but it was 110 degrees and I had zero horse left.

Now even if I walk the course earlier, before it's fully set--I do one more quick walk when it's set for my class and check things like numbers.

Often someone from my barn can hold while I walk. If the barns are close I like to hack around some and stretch my horse's legs and then I will put him back in his stall while I walk. Lets him get a sip of water and use the potty if he needs to. If the barns are far you'd be surprised how many strangers are willing to hold for you, and then they're not really strangers anymore. Make good friends with the gate guy and he'll hold or make sure you're covered.

sansibar
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:36 AM
I do it without a groom, however my dad is ussually there so if I am early in the order I will tack up my horse and have my dad hold him, if my dad is not there I will have him tacked up and put him on the trailer. But I do everything my self my dad is just there to hold the horse. (Last time I let him tack willy up was not pretty haha)

Thames Pirate
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:42 AM
I usually do the "can someone hold" thing, but another option is to tack up, warm up, throw a cooler on the horse and a halter over the bridle and tie the horse in the stall, walk the course, get the horse, and possibly hop another fence before going in the arena.

Trooper2
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:20 PM
I have two jumpers and when showing and never have a groom. Luckily neither need a lot of prep. I try to put one of mine early in the order and one late.

I will very often try and walk the course earlier in the day when it's set lower or higher than my division. Rarely do many lines get changed between divisions - they may get reversed, but not often "changed". If they have changed, its usually just a couple lines and I ask someone at the gate for help.

Most often both are groomed early, tacked up, bridles on and tied up with halter - I get myself ready, get on one head to the ring, when done head back, strip tack and pull water buckets ... jump on the next one and head back to the ring. They both get left to chill and wait for baths until the next one is done.

I'm sensative that with multiple rides I don't hold up the ring. With that routine, it is not unusual for me to get both of mine done early in the class before others have even started...its also helps to make friends with whoever is running the gate and make sure they know your situation so can help you work it out.