PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the UK :)

*andi*
Sep. 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
I've recently relocated to England for a job. It's been massive step... I sold everything I own back home (including the horse). I've been here a month and a half now and I've finally gotten into the swing of my job and settled in to my new town, so I went barn hunting last week and then spent a fortune on new riding gear... and I will (fingers crossed!) be starting to ride next week!
Anyone have any insight as to how barns/showing work here? I know I have to do an assessment lesson... but I'm hoping I an evenutally find a horse I can ride consistantly. I don't want to buy right now, but don't want to be riding lesson ponies.

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hello! I came back from working for Tim Stockdale in England for 6 months in March and loved it, except for the weather :-(

Where are you located in England? Perhaps I can connect you to some of the friends I made while working and riding in England.

*andi*
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'm used to the weather.. I'm from vancouver :P
I am currently living in south Devon... can't wait to get out riding on the moors!

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
I did that the first weekend I was there, it was a BLAST! No liability forms or anything, they just took my word that I could ride, put me on and off we went galloping up and down the moors!

prosefullstop
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm originally from Lancashire, currently live in NYC, and envy you deeply for your move to South Devon. That must be some of the best hacking in the world.

What was your chosen discipline in Canada? I know there's Wellbeck for affiliated dressage http://wellbeckequestrian.com/ and Stockland Lovell, in adjacent Somerset, has a fantastic XC course http://www.stocklandlovell.com/. Showing is popular in the UK, with a huge focus on native breeds, hunters (the polar opposite to US hunter in almost every way), as well as hack and riding horse classes. In the summer, the county shows in England are extremely popular, and Devon's is a fine example of the tradition. As well as showjumping and the inter-hunt relay, there are 40 showing classes to choose from:

http://www.devoncountyshow.co.uk/competition-results/Horses

Darkstar
Sep. 30, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm used to the weather.. I'm from vancouver :P

You say that now...wait for the winter to hit ;) I'm from just outside Seattle in the Cascades and I about died from the cold last year (okay, kidding, but still a massive adjustment to the weather).

As for riding and showing - I can't be much help. I'm in Oxfordshire and even over the past year I haven't found much in the way of places to train, and I have yet to fully understand the whole realm of showing here in the UK.

But enjoy England - it's great, even if very wet!

*andi*
Sep. 30, 2010, 03:46 PM
South Devon has a very mild climate, with an average low in the winter of 3 degrees celsius and no snow. I will be completely fine here! We get quite a bit cooler than that in january in Vancouver. So far it has been a little bit warmer and not as wet. :) Except tonight..
Prosefullstop- I rode hj in Canada, but I have done some eventing and would love to get back into that. The barn that I have found is close to my work, and actually has an indoor riding school... which will be great! We'll see if I go any further than just the casual hacks :) It also depends on how long I decide to stay, I guess!