PDA

View Full Version : Starting the youngster

FineDesign08
Sep. 29, 2010, 03:18 PM
If the 5 yr old test is equal to a 2nd level test, at what age are they starting their youngsters? How fast are they movinign them up? I have a two year old that I would like to aim for the young horse tests.

Bogey2
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:05 PM
The young horse test is not meant for all horses. I would not gear towards them in your training, I would work your horse correctly for what he is ready for. My 5 year-old was not well balanced as a 4 year old (he is quite big) so I did not even think about the 5 year test for him. He is finally through growing and has matured a lot in his 5th year. My aim is First Level in the Spring, second by Fall of 2011.
If you can, look up some of the scoring. See if you can get to a Scott Hassler clinic when he does the young horse stuff, he does a good job explaining why a horse is or is not ready for it etc.

Bogey2
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.hasslerdressage.com/archives/dressage-today/dt-01-08.html
from Hassler Dressage

FineDesign08
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
I defianately am not going to push him. I guess my main question is just, at what age do you start them? Thanks for the advice!:D

Home Again Farm
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:47 PM
They tend to be started at 3 to 3 1/2, just like other horses. Some exceptional horses will be ready for the FEI YH classes on schedule. Many good horses will not be. The tests are not for every horse.

Bogey2
Sep. 29, 2010, 06:00 PM
oh sorry, I started mine at three! Have you already done the ground work?? Two is a great age to get them to move away from pressure on the ground, learn leading, trailer loading etc.

FineDesign08
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:06 AM
Yes he has had all of the ground work done. He moves away from pressure. I ground drive him. He is going to the trainers in April.

I would like to go as high as I can with him through the levels, but we are not in any hurry. I thought the 5 year old test might be an obtainable goal, but it doesn't sound that way. Thanks for your help!:)

CHT
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:14 AM
The young horse tests I watched were more about POTENTIAL and less about precision. It is kind of like showing off where your horse is at within the scope of the test, with some riders just letting some movements be less impressive if their horse isn't ready.

I think at age two, it is too early to really be worried about getting your horse ready for the 5 year old tests; just focus on each year as it comes, and if he is ready, he is ready. So much can change in their build and personality between now and then, that he may really suprise you between now and then.