PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy the first horse you try...

KateKat
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:07 PM
or at least thats what they say, right?

But how many of you out there have bought the first horse you tried? Was it love at first sight and you didn't bother to try any others, or did you feel obligated to sit on a few others just to make sure? What was your experience level at the time and did it turn out to be the best thing you ever did and you're glad you trusted your gut, or was it a huge mistake?

MyGiantPony
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:10 PM
I think it's more that you are rarely lucky enough that the first horse you try is the right one.

But if it is the right fit, sitting on 15 more horses isn't going to make it any better of a match...so yeah, buying the first horse you try can be fine.

mjrtango93
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have bought the first horse I tried on many an occassion! My first horse was the first and only horse I tried, and 17 years later I have bought 8 or 9 others that were the first horse I tried as well. I guess for me it is a bit different though as basically anything I have is for sale, so I am not really looking for a lifetime horse. I buy everything thinking it will be for sale, then if we click I keep them.

netg
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
I think it's more that you are rarely lucky enough that the first horse you try is the right one.

But if it is the right fit, sitting on 15 more horses isn't going to make it any better of a match...so yeah, buying the first horse you try can be fine.

100% agreed.

My horse wasn't the first I looked at, but the first I tried (the others weren't backed yet.) I had seen him 5 months earlier and it was totally love at first sight - and for him, too, for whatever reason. At the time I didn't know he was for sale, or that he'd be a decent match for me. My trainer had worked with him the year before I got him and knew him well, and knew we'd be a great fit - plus she's in love with him - so we knew before I went that if he and I got along we'd be a great match.

It's if you're likely to be the "fall in love with any horse I ride" type that you shouldn't buy the first horse. But you should buy the horse who is the right match, no matter how many horses you end up riding to get there - no others included.

Pennywell Bay
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:13 PM
When I bought my first horse, ( eons ago) he was the first horse I tried. I was just so excited I was getting one. I had him for 19 years until the day he died but he had quirks that maybe I would have passed on if I had tried others. More recently, my friend bought the first one she tried, thinking those little quirks could be worked out...... 2 years later she now wants to sell. I think we get so excited about it, don't get buyer's remorse! Sometimes people who sell horses can be like used car sales people ( not all of course, the unscrupulous ones) and like to pressure you. It is one of those things, don't get pressured into it!

Thanatos
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:17 PM
It depends. (what a typical, cop-out answer, right?) I have bought the horse I tried. I have bought the 4th horse I tried. I have bought off a video. I have bought off the advice of a trainer, sight unseen. I have bought after being told by a friend of a friend and having the horse come on a 6 hour trailer ride, get off, get tacked up, be ridden by the trainer for 20 minutes, me for 10. (granted, I bought him barring anything catastrophic on the PPE). If you sit on the horse and you "know" then go for it. The one that I bought after the trailer ride and 30 minute trial was just an "I-know-this-is-the-one" horse. I wasn't really in the market but I got told about him and he seemed worth a look (plus, his owners' finances made him a dirt cheap bargain) and after sitting on him, I knew he was the right horse. He has been my first soul horse as an ammy. :)

lovemyoldguy
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:19 PM
I did (or rather, my parents did!). When we were looking for my first horse (after a series of leases), we bought the very first horse we looked at. He was being sold by Phyllis Dawson and had been recommended to us by another Pony Club parent, so that was a big plus in his column...but we knew, even as total novices, that the rule of thumb is to never buy the first horse you look at. But he was just perfect for me, and we bought him and loved him and never looked back!

KateKat
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:21 PM
When I bought my first horse, ( eons ago) he was the first horse I tried. I was just so excited I was getting one. I had him for 19 years until the day he died but he had quirks that maybe I would have passed on if I had tried others. More recently, my friend bought the first one she tried, thinking those little quirks could be worked out...... 2 years later she now wants to sell. I think we get so excited about it, don't get buyer's remorse! Sometimes people who sell horses can be like used car sales people ( not all of course, the unscrupulous ones) and like to pressure you. It is one of those things, don't get pressured into it!

Thats what I'm worried about! I'm actually not an impulsive person in general, but I do tend to get swept up in the excitement of things which is why I'm wondering if my common sense is being clouded! I have ridden a pretty wide range of horses, but they've all been well schooled. The horse I'm looking at now is well schooled also, but has more umph than the typical one I ride. I haven't bought yet and I'm going to do a trial, but everything is happening so fast I've just got nagging fears about making the right decision.

Big_Grey_hunter
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:31 PM
The one time I was aqctualy trying horses, I did look at a few.

All my others have beena nice horse comes into the barn and I like him, so I buy him. One time, a horse came up for sale my trainer had been wanting for years. So, I tried him once, did a PPE, and he was in my stall 3 days after he was put up for sale.

Ibex
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
I bought the first horse whose ad I kept going back to... when I first saw it, I wrote her off because she was too young and out of my budget. When they dropped her price we went and looked... I sat on her for about 5 minutes before buying her. :eek:

Pennywell Bay
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
Thats what I'm worried about! I'm actually not an impulsive person in general, but I do tend to get swept up in the excitement of things which is why I'm wondering if my common sense is being clouded! I have ridden a pretty wide range of horses, but they've all been well schooled. The horse I'm looking at now is well schooled also, but has more umph than the typical one I ride. I haven't bought yet and I'm going to do a trial, but everything is happening so fast I've just got nagging fears about making the right decision.

If you have nagging fears, why not have an objective friend 1.) ride him if that is allowed 2.) watch you ride him, I went with mine ( she did not listen to me and bought him anyway but she tried :lol:). I know it is SO EASY to get swept up in the moment b/c it is so exciting!!! ( YEAH for you!!)

A trial is an awesome thing!! PLEASE keep us posted on this. Is so fun getting a new horse! How long is your trial?

JFJ
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
I bought my pinto at first sight! He was still at his mother's side and sleeping in a pile of hay in the middle of a muddy paddock and he just lifted his head to look my direction and I was sold! Now it's about 7 years later and he's doing great! I just wanted a horse of my own again to fool around with ( I board retired show horses). I've done all his training myself, except I had some one else sit on him at the start of his 3yd year because I was pregnant. But since then it's just been me. He's only about 15 hands but I hope my kids will want to ride him some day ( they are just 3 and 6 yrs old). Oh and the best part, he only cost $500.! He was a foal from a nurse mare so I got him when he was only about 2 months old. So he's a real part of the family!

Janet
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:52 PM

But how many of you out there have bought the first horse you tried?
Yes, I bought Belle when I wasn't even looking for a horse.

Was it love at first sight and you didn't bother to try any others, or did you feel obligated to sit on a few others just to make sure?
Both. Yes it was "love at first sight". And yes, I did look at 4 or 5 other horses before buying her.

What was your experience level at the time I had been riding for many decades. She was the fourth horse I bought as an adult. I had also leased 3 different horses.

and did it turn out to be the best thing you ever did and you're glad you trusted your gut, or was it a huge mistake?
Best purchase I ever made.

inquisitive
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:06 PM
When I bought my gelding (the only one I've bought myself since being on my own and gotten to ride - mare came off the track), I had sat on about 6 horses before him. He had the 'it' factor. I sat on him and loved how he felt and was totally comfortable on him. I was a pretty experienced rider and was not worried about my decision. I still walked away and tried a couple others, then went back and rode him again. Loved him. Bought him :)

He's basically a pasture puff at the ripe age of 9 due to an injury (not in the PPE, unavoidable, devastating) and could be a bit of a jerk sometimes, but I LOVED riding him. He just fit :)

I'm glad I trusted my gut feeling as we have had wonderful memories together, and even though my mom hates him (they just don't get along personality-wise), he is going to stay with us forever.

DMK
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:12 PM
I don't know... I generally think you should have a good idea about what you want and what your type of horse is before you buy (as well as an ability to assess that in a horse). Some people have a good talent for that and/or have been doing it long enough that they CAN see that in a horse right away. That might just be the horse they see first. Others just aren't good at it (this is where the commission you pay is worth its weight in gold if the trainer has the ability) or they need to compare a few types to get at the truth, so to speak.

And then there is that rare moment when you aren't really looking and the right one falls in your lap. Those are my favorites and at least for me I think my best purchases if only because I'm not looking for what I want to find, but thinking "this can't be as good as it seems" so I am more critical and analytical in my evaluation.

RugBug
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:18 PM
The horse I bought a little over a year ago was the first one I really tried while shopping. I had "tried" another that I knew wasn't going to be right for me before getting on...but was also trying for other people in our barn (they *almost* bought him 'cept for a vetting issue and no negotiation room).

I LOVED my horse's sale video...he looked like exactly what I was shopping for. I tried him and he was the same horse, although there were a few issues that turns out we're magnified after purchase and we are still working through. I've had to change my ride and it's taking me some time. When I get it right, horse is exactly what I want. That said, it would be nice if I could get it right more often or if horse could be a little more forgiving.

I almost didn't buy him because of his looks. He's a chestnut (which I don't really like) no leg white (boo) and reminded me of a horse at our barn that I thought was ugly. :eek: :lol: Thankfully, that was just a factor of a long-ish mane, being a bit underweight and a pelham. Now that he's at a good weight, goes in a D (works better for us) and his mane is the right length, I actually think he's a good looking horse. Classic TB. I still wish there was some leg white, but oh well.

I think the first horse you try CAN work...but if there's something you're unsure about, other that just feeling it's wrong to buy the first one...go try some others. It will ease the second guessing and make you feel better.

HappyHorselover
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:21 PM
I bought the first horse whose ad I kept going back to... when I first saw it, I wrote her off because she was too young and out of my budget. When they dropped her price we went and looked... I sat on her for about 5 minutes before buying her. :eek:

My experience was kinda like this too. I loved this horse from the irst time I saw his ad and video, but he was out of my price range. I kept looking and talked to a LOT of sellers, but most of the horses I wrote off without looking because things came up when talking to the seller that made me decide it wasn't worth it. Finally I contacted the seller of the horse I had fallen in love with who was too expensive and it turned out he had been for sale for quite awhile so she was willing to come down on price. I went and tried him and LOVED him. I had two friends with me who also really liked his way of going. I felt like I "had" to try some othe horses mostly because my other friends told me I couldn't buy the first one. The ones who were with me agreed he was a good match and I should buy him, but I tried two others. They were nice, but they weren't Trav! I ended up getting him for $1500 (listed at $3500) and took him on a 3 month "free" lease with buy option on my farm. That was 8 months ago, and here we are now!

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/horse_fan_410/Traveling%20Soldier%20-%202002%20OTTB/?action=view&current=056.jpg

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/horse_fan_410/Traveling%20Soldier%20-%202002%20OTTB/?action=view&current=056.jpg#!oZZ15QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs59. photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fg299%2Fhorse_fan_410%2F Traveling%2520Soldier%2520-%25202002%2520OTTB%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D 037.jpg%26

VanEq
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:32 PM
About 90% of the time, when I go to the trouble of trying a horse, I buy it. I'm one of those who does pretty extensive research before actually going out and looking at a horse-- so I don't actually LOOK all that often. So, yes, many times I've bought the first-- and only!-- horse I try.

Sadly, because of this, I've actually had sellers get angry with me for requesting information about their horses, and then not going any further. I had one lady send me an angry email after I inquired about two different horses she had for sale, and then a stallion she was standing-- she told me that because I kept asking for info but then not actually coming out to see the horses, I must be nothing better than a "looky-loo". The truth was, I was very interested in her breeding program, and her horses were CLOSE to what I was looking for, but never quite right... which is why I was interested in her stallion, in the possibility I could breed my own. She lost a customer just because she didn't understand where I was coming from. Frankly, I would think she'd be happy I didn't waste her time coming to try the horses when the information she gave me showed that they weren't quite right for me.

KateKat
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
If you have nagging fears, why not have an objective friend 1.) ride him if that is allowed 2.) watch you ride him, I went with mine ( she did not listen to me and bought him anyway but she tried :lol:). I know it is SO EASY to get swept up in the moment b/c it is so exciting!!! ( YEAH for you!!)

A trial is an awesome thing!! PLEASE keep us posted on this. Is so fun getting a new horse! How long is your trial?

I'm enlisting the help of my trainer and she is putting no pressure on my what so ever. In fact, she has even told me "it usually doesn't happen this fast" LOL so I'm pretty sure she is being objective.

The trial is for a week, and in that time I'll get to ride her pretty much every day. So I'm pretty sure I'll figure out quickly if I still love her or not :) And if I do end up buying her, don't worry I will appease the COTH gods with lots o'pictures!

Pennywell Bay
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:46 PM
You have a good plan! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed! ( not in a snarky or bad way! )=)

Arelle
Sep. 29, 2010, 03:27 PM
I think it's more "don't buy the first horse you try without trying at least one more". If the first horse you try works, then by all means write the check - but don't get so caught up that you sacrifice your needs and wants.

The next horse I buy will be purchased from a list, because I'm totally in the impulse buy category too. If it doesn't meet the must haves, I don't care how nice it is, I will walk away (I will walk away. I will walk away.).

Good luck!

meupatdoes
Sep. 29, 2010, 03:39 PM

But how many of you out there have bought the first horse you tried? Was it love at first sight and you didn't bother to try any others, or did you feel obligated to sit on a few others just to make sure? What was your experience level at the time and did it turn out to be the best thing you ever did and you're glad you trusted your gut, or was it a huge mistake?

I did and I named him Grey Sky Morning because he's the "best I ever had".

He cantered organized and upright with a leg on each corner at 3yo and one month off the track. That was enough for me to make a decision! He was supposed to be a sale horse but I have turned down sizable offers because he is no longer for sale.

I had made off a couple off the track horses before getting him. My other two horses that I currently have were:
-sent to me to ride by my best friend barely started (ie, still with rider on longe line)
-sent to me sight unseen to ride and sell by a judge friend of mine.

So actually riding this one first was, you know, careful consideration on my part. :lol::lol::lol:

Hunter Mom
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:19 PM
Twice. Wasn't shopping yet either time, but when they fall into your lap, you just do it. Never regretted either one of them.

MimsEppi
Sep. 29, 2010, 07:35 PM
My horse is the first horse I even looked at, from the flyer stage! Had I known better, he was not quite the best... er, schooled horse at the time. It took us almost a year to teach him to canter on his left lead (very right handed horse!) and it was just a disaster.

He's the best horse now :D I had moments where I wanted to sell, but we belong together.

judybigredpony
Sep. 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
You know as a "Seller" when we hear from a buyer that our sale horse is your 1st..we cringe, groan, and mostly expect you ..not to buy...and yet there always has to be a 1st and it can also be the last. Just the way you look at it.

kinnip
Sep. 29, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'll take any opportunity to tell people how great my horse is. I have regretted buying the first thing I sat on before, but not this time. My boy is tops and I knew it the minute I laid eyes on his photo. The ride was just gravy. I've had him almost a year now, and I couldn't be happier. We're 100% in love!

nevertoolate
Sep. 29, 2010, 09:00 PM
Another one who bought the first (and only!) horse we tried! He was a wonderful been there, done that, TB gelding, and was fabulous for my daughter. She has since stopped riding, and we wound up giving him to a teenager who had confidence issues, and he's been wonderful for her as well. Never regretted buying him!

Mukluk
Sep. 29, 2010, 09:23 PM
I did not own a horse but had been riding with a friend of mine who owns horses. Owned a horse as a teen but had been horseless for 20+years. I wanted to visit a local warmblood breeder just to visit and see the horses. In my phone message I specifically said I was not on the market to buy a horse- I was hoping to buy one in the next year or two. When he called me back he mentioned that he had a TB mare for sale: 16.2 hands, chestnut, 4 years old, white blaze, two white feet, great mind, fairly recently off the track, $1500. I went to see her and tried not to like her and November is "the wrong time of year" to buy a horse. But I liked her so much that within the week I bought her (a trainer looked at her and liked her and she passed her vet inspection). She has been mine for almost two years and I think she is the best horse ever. I intend to keep her forever. Sometimes the stars all align.

billiebob
Sep. 29, 2010, 09:24 PM

Bobby is the only horse I've ever tried--my first horse I took on sight unseen on the advice of my trusty vet.

It wasn't really love at first sight, kind of more like "he's cuter than the seller made him sound so I'll take him." Plus I had to offer vet, farrier and two outside references--which the seller checked thoroughly--so I figured it was a solid deal.

Experience level? I'm a solid intermediate rider. I'm realistic about my abilities--I can generally tell what I can or can't work with within a few minutes. I'm not overly picky and my gut instincts are usually right. And I trust my boss, who will tell me if it's a good idea or not....and she's almost always right.

Is it the best thing I've ever done? I don't think I'd go that far, but I'm very happy with Bobby and wouldn't do anything differently.

jump4me
Sep. 29, 2010, 09:41 PM
I bought one practically sight-unseen. OTTB, saw him in his stall at the track, ended up buying him several weeks later. Certainly did not get to ride him, however I had all of about 48 hours to make up my mind if I wanted him or not, to make arrangements to pick him up, and to make arrangements for taking him to the barn.

(Someone that I know and trust had vetted him, xrays showed something that she did not want to take a chance on, so she passed his info, including the new, lower price onto me, and I was willing to take the gamble on what the xray showed)

When I got my first horse, I really wasn't actively looking, he sort of fell into my lap. I had ridden several other horses that were also for sale, in lessons etc, but I wasn't really interested in the others, I just happened to ride them for exercise. I didn't actually look at an ad or anything for a single horse, but I sure ended up with a good teacher :lol:

AndNirina
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
I absolutely bought the first horse I tried on two occasions. In both situations, though, the horses came recommended to me from trainers who knew exactly what I was looking for.

When we bought my mare, I went to a show specifically to look at her as she was being sold by my old trainer (whom I have great respect for). The mare popped her head over the dutch door of her stall and I knew I was in trouble! After riding her, and having my trainer ride her she wound up coming home with us that day. I consider myself very lucky to have scooped her up.

bits619
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:24 PM
Aww guys! These stories are making me get a little choked up here!! I haven't bought my first horse yet, but goooood grief. As emotional as I am sitting here, reading and imagining pure strangers' experiences with buying their horses (especially the first-ever purchase stories!),... You can bet i'll need my trainer's help when the time comes!! SOMEONE has to have their head about them!

I think that I know what I really like and really dislike on and off a horse, and have my physical appearance preferences, too. But when it comes to potential issues, particularly any health concerns... I would need my vet and trainer RIGHT by my side for advice, non-negotiable!!

uuuugh... even *thinking* about the whole trying horses process can send me into epic daydreams (of course, i know it's not all fun and games... but still. me + thought of "A PONYYYYY of My OWNIE!!!" = birthday party @ chuck e. cheese level of insanity.)

Across Sicily
Sep. 30, 2010, 12:10 AM
I've bought four of the first horses I've tried out of seven. Of those, I've absolutely adored 3 of them and was so, so sad to see them go. Those I actually waited on, I've found I've actually liked less, though not because I waited to buy/lease them.... it's just worked out that way.

If you know, you know, IMO. If you have reservations, then DON'T DO IT. If you have NONE, then do it. Wish I'd listened to myself a few times on that advice.

slee171
Sep. 30, 2010, 12:21 AM
I just bought my 3 yeard old and she was the first I looked at. After selling my last boy I had planned and readied myself for a long road of horse shopping until I found the perfect one. I WANTED to sit and try a ton but I went to one barn where they had three for me to look at. She was the one I saw and sat on first and I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I did, out of courtesy and curiosity, look at the other two and I even sat on another but they didn't match up to her at all. So now she's mine and I love her to death... best buy of my life! I've been riding for 16 years now and I've owned 2 and leased a million so I knew that at this point in my riding career that I know what I want and I'd know it when I saw it. I also knew that I wasn't just going to fall in love with the first horse I sat on since I planned on being very very picky. I wasn't even planning on a 3 year old but I couldn't be happier with my decision. She is everything I wanted and more and I am having a blast! I'm 99% sure that she's probably going to end up being my "forever" horse. So I wish you luck :)

KateKat
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:25 AM
uuuugh... even *thinking* about the whole trying horses process can send me into epic daydreams (of course, i know it's not all fun and games... but still. me + thought of "A PONYYYYY of My OWNIE!!!" = birthday party @ chuck e. cheese level of insanity.)

This is pretty much how I feel. I seriously didn't think I would be diving into horseownership this soon (I literally told my trainer two weeks ago to start looking, and not even super active looking. Just "keep your eyes open" LOL) So if this whole thing ends up working out, my first horse is the first horse I tried when I wasn't even really looking...I think I might have to run around in circle or something, screaming from rooftops. This is something I've wanted since I was a wee little girl!

My first ride since trying her last week is tonight so wish me luck!

Pennywell Bay
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
Good luck!

HGem
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:22 PM
I've never been "horse shopping" or had a horse on trial. All the horses we bought just came out of chance, most were bought at auction. I've checked out a few horses that really caught my eye that were for sale, but never multiple horses in a short span of time.

The mare I have now we bought as a yearling from an amishman. She looked like a fat ugly pony when we saw her. (Fat due to worms and ugly due to lack of hygine and growth stage). However we felt really drawn to her and forked out the $1k he wouldn't budge on, even knowing we would fork out another few k to get her surgery for the hernia she had. I really need to get some pics uploaded beacause you would never believe the horse she is today. A STUNNING mare with talent and a heart of gold.

We also bought a yearling QH gelding from auction. Unfortunatly I live like 10min from the famous New Holland Auction in PA.....so most of our horses have come from there. It's so tempting to go "rescue" them!! Anyways, the gelding was undernourished but just had that look in his eye. A year after (Oct '09) I had him showing up at Harrisburg in the State show - looked like a million dollars. I broke him and sold him this past spring. He was super smart, talented and a doll. We just didn't have time for him and he was too small for me.

All that said, it's a good idea to know what you are looking for - but I think you will just know if it is the right horse. There are lots of right horses for everybody. I think if you start looking at a bunch of horses you try to find the "perfect" horse. Which does not exist.

leilatigress
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:38 PM
Good Luck on the first ride! Crossing my fingers she works out for you.
I've had it go both ways.
Pal Princess was the first horse of the day (out of 3) and I was sold from the minute she came up from the pasture. She was my EVERYTHING. Never ever regretted her and still miss her every day.
B^*%h Mare was the fourth horse of that shopping trip and was a wonderful mare. I regretted her every single time I had to deal with her and sold her the 2nd week I had her. I continued to show her too, won tons of competitions on her. We regularly tried to kill each other which was routinely stopped by her new owners and my lovely father. I couldn't even lead her without her trying to take my arm off.
Medicine Hat was my very last gelding and was an impulse buy. He taught me the most about the adage never buy a horse without at least seeing it move. Ill mannered, badly trained, horridly traumatized, and I could have dealt with all of that but then he grew into a 17hh monster when I needed a 14hh pony. He was never completely sane and I never forgave him the injuries he did to me.

iloverain
Sep. 30, 2010, 03:18 PM
bought the 1st horse i tried. wasn't 100% in love right off the bat, but i had a budget and she fit the requirements. was tired of playing phone tag with others and bought the mare. love her to death and dont regret a thing!

crazy gray horse
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:10 PM
I bought the first pony my daughter tried....well, actually it was the second we looked at and I knew the first one wasn't a good match. So drove on a little farther to look at #2 pony and he was perfect! So I left telling the seller that I'd get back to her. In my heart of hearts I knew that he was the one. But that phrase "never buy the first one you look at" kept nagging at me. So on the drive home, I called my mom and told her about the pony and the phrase :D She reminded me that I have good instincts and to follow my gut. So I hung up and called the seller to tell her I'd buy the pony. BEST decision I ever made. He was wonderful. My daughter has moved on to bigger horses, but I still have that pony. He has a forever home with me.

imapepper
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:12 PM
For my first horse, I tried 3-4 totally unsuitable horses before finally looking at something appropriate. I bought that one :)

7 years later.....I was an instructor/barn manager at this point. I was riding tons of sales horses but wanted something of my own to play with that wasn't for sale. I didn't NEED a horse and probably shouldn't have bought one at that time :) I went to look at on a whim. And bought him after sitting on him for 15 minutes. He taught me some very valuable lessons :winkgrin: Not all of them good :lol: But boy was he pretty and talented :)

8 years later....I bought my most recent horse. She was also kind of on a whim. I wasn't looking for myself at all. She was going someplace not so good if I passed so I bought her :) Best horse I have ever owned! Too small, too hot, but a big sweetheart! Love her to death....even though GM told me that she was too small for me and he would love to see me next time on something bigger and a bit quieter :lol: Maybe GM will buy me a new horse :winkgrin:

Horsegurlmercury
Sep. 30, 2010, 05:31 PM
when i bought mercury, i sat on him for 2 minutes, walk and trot only (mind you, this was at an auction). we had tried maybe 3 other horses before going to the auction but he was perfect. by far the best purchase i have ever made, i love him to death. i'm dreading having to lease him out next year :( while i'm studying abroad in the spring and then working at the beach during the summer

when i bought my pony he was the second one i rode at the breeders farm. i rode another one after him and it was a tough decision between him and the mare. but i'm so glad it was him that we brought home that day. he is now leased out to a young girl that loves him to pieces and he gladly totes around :)

fordtraktor
Sep. 30, 2010, 06:38 PM
I haven't been horse shopping per se since I was 15. My last 3 horses just fell in my lap. So yes, they were the first horses I tried, since I wasn't actually trying any.

But I am not the type to buy every horse I see. It has to be something truly special that I want to keep forever, or it doesn't walk into my barn. Because I can't help it, I keep them all.

mom23monkeys
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:39 AM
Not to hijack, but what if you love the first horse, but wanna look at a few more just so you are sure...then you can't decide??? How to choose between a babysitter and a drop dead gorgeous 3 year old?? Please help!

daisyduke
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:28 AM
When shopping for my daughter's horse 3 years ago, she fell in love with the very first horse. She tried about 10 more horses and went back to try the first one again. After he was vetted, she ended up purchasing him. A few of the other horses were more talented, more trained and some more attractive, but she kept going back to the first.

netg
Oct. 1, 2010, 03:06 PM
Not to hijack, but what if you love the first horse, but wanna look at a few more just so you are sure...then you can't decide??? How to choose between a babysitter and a drop dead gorgeous 3 year old?? Please help!

That's when you need some honesty from a trainer, as well as some gut listening going on within yourself.

I absolutely LOVED a couple 3 year olds I looked at who weren't broken yet... but knew they weren't right for me right now. It's actually surprisingly easy to find 3 year olds who are gorgeous around here at least - and harder to find an older horse who has the right training to fit well. In my case, I was still (am still) working on getting my fitness back, and having a horse from whom I could learn before I started teaching him was the right fit at the time.

Thames Pirate
Oct. 1, 2010, 07:45 PM
I'd say if you're selective in which horses you'll try you've already got a good chance. If you know the horse (it's boarded at your barn, for example) that might also mean you're more likely to buy it the first time. If your instructor is with you and approves the match, that might also influence the decision.

In general even if the first horse seems to be the one I'll try to see at least two or three others just to be sure. I think the saying is more that one shouldn't just "fall in love" with a horse that is potentially wrong or overpriced or whatever; the more experienced riders can probably also get away with it because they know what they're looking for.

KateKat
Oct. 2, 2010, 09:18 PM
so UPDATE! I've had her at the barn for three days now and she's freaking amazing. I love her so I did a vet check on her...which came up clean! I've still got 3 days left in the trial week but I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy her, barring anything funky showing up in the next few days.

She's seriously awesome though, exactly what I wanted and more. So there you go, I will become another story of someone buying the first horse they try :) Thanks to everyone for your stories and not making me feel like I'm a fool for falling in love so quickly!