PDA

View Full Version : Shannondell Horse Shows, Pennsylvania

Calling Duck
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hello, CCHSA folks. I am thinking of going to a Shannondell show, but have never been. Can anyone provide info on parking, schooling area/footing, arena size, jumps, size of classes? Who usually attends? I've noticed that not the same crowds go to Vince's as opposed to Valley Hill or Wyndsor.

Thank you in advance.

TheBigO
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:53 AM
Hi Calling Duck. I registered for an acct just to reply to your questions. I went to the last Shannondell Show and loved it.
Parking is excellent - lots of room + no need to back-up or do fancy moves with the truck and trailer.
Online entry is easy and fast. The people there are super nice - both Riders and Show Mgt.
The show ran like clockwork - no waiting around.
The footing (a sandy mix) was excellent even in heavy rain.
My classes had about 8-10 entries in each.
I schooled right in the Show ring in the early am, so don't recall much about a separate schooling ring.
Jumps were sturdy, well built and colorful, with correct distances between them.
It's hard to find a decent, low key schooling show to start a young horse. Shannondell was a very pleasant surprise!
Hope to see you there this Sunday.

HGem
Sep. 29, 2010, 11:16 AM
I've done quite a few CCHSA shows, but never got to Shannondell. I have heard very good things about Vince's place though, and intend to show there once I get my [new] young horse jumping something bigger then x-rails and small verticles :)

Good luck if you end up going!!

Calling Duck
Sep. 29, 2010, 11:33 AM
Thank you, folks! I hate surprises. This info helps a great deal. Especially the need for simple trailer parking!

I did the Valley Hill show the year the horse fell in the pool. We got there well after, but holy cow, that was a story. They also had a great guy parking everyone, which helped much.

Vince's is dandy, until 12:01 in the afternoon when the gun club starts shooting. Canter, BANG, canter, BANG BANG. Jump, BANG BANG BANG. Great footing indoors though.

Radnor schooling arena footing for the horse ring is just grim. Rock hard, nice slope to it, with a ditch running through it. But the big rings with the great footing kind of made up for it, I suppose.

MyGiantPony
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
This post brought back some great memories - we used to go to Shannondell all the time - haven't been in years, but we always had so much fun there.

gusbabe
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
I haven't been this year yet but was there for the last few years prior to this. Parking is great! People are very nice and helpful. The jumper ring( which also holds hunter classes) is rather small. Footing is excellent but it is still tight.
Food last year was by a health food vendor so if you like alfalfa sprouts and tofu burgers you are set but if not, pack your own!
They do have a schooling fence or two outside the rings in the grass. It gets a little bit hairy as they were set close to the rings so you not only dodged other riders but spectators who weren't paying attention as well. They do have regular schooling sessions inthe regular rings so you are not limited to just those outside fences.
It draws a pretty competitive crowd especially in the hunters.

Claudius
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:24 PM
Two questions, how do I enter on line, and is there a prize list on line with the directions????

gusbabe
Sep. 29, 2010, 02:13 PM
Go to shannondell farm website. http://www.shannondellfarm.net
You will see online entry form as well as directions

alakazam
Sep. 30, 2010, 05:57 PM
What are the jumper jumps like? I'm concidering going, but I don't want to shake my horse's confidence to much with elaborate, spooky jumps.

Hound Dog Diaries
Sep. 30, 2010, 07:48 PM
I must then be the only one who loathes showing at Shannondell. The jumps are nice, footing is good, but the ring is tiny tiny tiny. It was really exceptionally difficult trying to do the Children's and the 3' medal in that ring.

I quit going there after I had 2 strides between the out of a line and the ring fence - horse and I parted ways, and I cracked a rail of the ring fence in half with the top of my shoulder.