PDA

View Full Version : Laura Bechtolsteiner at the WEG

stolensilver
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:00 PM
Did anyone see Laura B's ride on Mistral Hojris tonight? I'm so proud of her!! Superb piaffes, fabulous energy, supple, obedient. WONDERFUL!

Barring Steffen Peters getting the highest score that has ever been given in international dressage team GB have won the silver medal with one of our major team members not competing (Emma Hindle)

I'm so proud of all of them and I think Laura's test will be shown as an example of what a GP test should look like in years to come. Hojris is not the easiest of horses and she's done so well to contain his enthusiasm and form a great partnership. Just brilliant. Can't stop smiling. :)

Equibrit
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:01 PM
WHAT WAS HER SCORE ??

stolensilver
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:02 PM
82.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:18 PM
Holy Mac! This is wonderful! Go Laura!

Laura rides with such eloquence and harmony; always a pleasure to watch! I really enjoy the partnership she has with her father, and how they share their passion on their horsehero.com website. The love, adoration, and respect that they share for their horses is so obvious.

soloudinhere
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yay for Laura and "Alf!"

BBowen
Sep. 28, 2010, 06:09 PM
Her ride was amazing!!! I really think she had much better piaffe than Totilas. Her horse looked so relaxed.

Gry2Yng
Sep. 28, 2010, 08:22 PM
Only saw it online and did not see Totilas, but her ride was beautiful.

BaroquePony
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
Her ride was amazing!!! I really think she had much better piaffe than Totilas. Her horse looked so relaxed.

How dare you say such a thing ... you must be banned from the Middle Kingdom :lol:

mickeydoodle
Sep. 28, 2010, 10:05 PM
I saw it up close. I did not think it was better than Totilas, in fact I thought some parts were over scored. It was very very good, but at times his haunches trailed the front, and there were a few wavery moments. I thought the same of Isabel's ride, a little over scored.

tucktaway
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:28 PM
It was a treat to watch and my favorite of the day! A huge congrats to her!!

Sabine
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
I saw both go on FEI TV- what a treat - up close and on a big screen.
Toto still has that amazing flamboyance that no other horse so far has shown- he looks like he LOVES what he does.
Alf- he looked GREAT and Laura IMO rode her personal best- by far. She was very precise - like a young Isi. Sometimes she didn't really get him enough from the rear- but that's just my opinion. Her transitions were great- her gaits in all were VERY steady and rythmic- no slips (almost) and she had very nice zig zags.
Her changes were good and she kind of felt that she was good about 1/2 way thru and really then scored higher.
Toto has to got to get the changes better and he is only 10 - so I think we have got 2 fabbo top GP horses to admire.
Carl was commentating and he was his usual super charming self- and the joy and happiness of the british team was just so charming and great- I had tears in my eyes...and yes SS- I so can feel your happiness...you guys all rode great and deserve it...I saw all the rides up close and your team was definitely worthy of the silver!

netg
Sep. 29, 2010, 01:01 AM
I absolutely LOVED this ride. I've enjoyed all the horsehero rides I've seen, but hadn't really watched her go in competition - much less in the ride of her life.

I don't know enough to say who deserves higher scores and that sort of thing. I love commentary so I can learn to see what experts see, and am working on improving my eye. I figure in about 40 years maybe I'll know enough to be able to say if I know better than judges... if I go through all the training and have a talent to be able to see things.

Until then, I only know I just enjoyed Laura's ride more than seeing Totilas. It's simply a different style I prefer more. And I have no idea what was deserved as far as scoring.

dwblover
Sep. 29, 2010, 09:05 AM
I have a subscription to a British website and I love watching her training videos and I was able to watch her last preparations with Alf right before the WEG. Talk about harmony!!! Love the way Laura and her father train their horses. Slowly, correct, and with patience. Go Laura!!!

DownYonder
Sep. 29, 2010, 09:32 AM
I also watched the rides on FEITV. While Totilas and Gal were their usual amazing selves, Laura and Mistral Hojiris were truly a delightful surprise. I had not watched them closely before and I thought that ride yesterday was just wonderful. Hip hip hooray for Great Britain on winning Silver, and best of luck for Laura to stand on the podium for an Individual medal!

grayarabpony
Sep. 29, 2010, 09:33 AM
She rode a beautiful test. DH was very impressed by it too and said, "Now that horse looks happy." I don't think the other competitors' horses looked unhappy, but that horse had a special look about him.

EasyStreet
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Laura for me has picked up where Monica Thedorescu lfft off in terms of elegance, poise, softness! She is a beautifully fantastic rider...could watch her ride all day!

Equibrit
Sep. 29, 2010, 11:27 AM
LB interview here; http://www.equestrianteamgbr.co.uk/news.aspx?strArticle=dressage-day-two

oldernewbie
Sep. 29, 2010, 11:34 AM
I also watched the rides on FEITV. While Totilas and Gal were their usual amazing selves, Laura and Mistral Hojiris were truly a delightful surprise. I had not watched them closely before and I thought that ride yesterday was just wonderful. Hip hip hooray for Great Britain on winning Silver, and best of luck for Laura to stand on the podium for an Individual medal!

I just loved watching her ride. Since I am new to the whole dressage scene and certainly don't know everyone who competes, I didn't know what to expect. My respect and admiration for her just grew and grew as the ride went on. The test was so thoughtfully ridden and beautifully done. Wonderful!!!

Equibrit
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:08 PM
WEG blog: Backing Alf for gold in the dressage today

Sarah Jenkins, H&H reporter at WEG
29 September, 2010
Having successfully predicted Britain's team silver, Sarah Jenkins is now blogging for individual gold from Alf and Laura B
'Wildly optimistic', is what people called my blog two days ago when I suggested: 'find out the odds for Britain winning team silver, it's worth a bet'. Ye of little faith!

So now, I'm going to have another punt… Britain's Laura Bechtolsheimer for individual gold in the special at the World Equestrian Games (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/weg/) today riding Mistral Hojris, aka "Alf". No, I haven't had a blow to the head. And I only had one Kentucky Ale last night. I honestly think she can do it. I have a good feeling about this.

It would be seriously tough. Laura would have to ride her socks off and reproduce exactly what she had yesterday in the grand prix with Alf. She could also do with top rival Totilas having a hiccup in the one-time changes for good measure. But I think it's doable. The tables are turning.

Totilas is the wonderhorse, he brings tears to people's eyes (particularly Americans… emotional lot out here). He's been described as a “living legend”. Alf, bless his white socks, hasn't got that notoriety yet. But I think he deserves it.

Alf doesn't have Totilas's wildly expressive front legs. There's something about Totilas that is enchanting even if you know diddly-squat about dressage. My dad will even watch him. Previously, my dad would rather watch grass grow.

He's been an amazing thing for the sport (I mean Totilas, not dad). He's brought the sport to the masses, got dressage on national TV, and anyone in the industry should be eternally grateful for that. Of course some of the media aren't. They're turning on Totilas. They think his movement is “over produced”. Alf they like. Laura rides “very classically” they say. This is what the aficionados want to see (we're not sure re the public, yet). She does ride beautifully and looks a happy partnership with Alf. There is nothing jarring in her riding or training, nothing at all not to like. They're a pleasure to watch. (Dad, seriously, Eurosport this evening, check it out).

And ultimately the sport needs competition. Look how people went off Formula One in the Schumacher era. They only want to see a “living legend” for so long. And the sport of dressage knows this. Equally, the sport has had an uncanny way in the past three years of producing the “story” that a sport needs to remain popular.

Let's not diss Totilas, he's still a living legend. But Alf for gold this time. Do you remember Alf The Friendly Alien? The fury wiseguy? This is Alf the friendly horse. The jolly giant with his happy, floppy ears. Alf the trier, the horse with the biggest heart. The horse who trusts his slip of a rider enough to pop round that massive stadium even though if he's honest it's a little bit scary, really. Alf who could piaffe all day long and stay relaxed despite all the power he puts into every step. And Laura, the modest English rose, who loves her pony as much as any British girl, and can't even quite see how well she's doing. Yet.

Soppy? American? Moi?

stolensilver
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm sitting here, glued to the TV for the first time in months. Usually the internet is much more interesting. But tonight I'm waiting for a big orange horse who moves with the grace of a panther and a small British girl who rides beautifully but who also rides like we've all been taught, to pull off another test of a lifetime.

I too think Laura and Alf can win Gold tonight. Come on you two. You're good enough and we're all behind you. Hold it together for one more night Alf and show the world just how much you love your rider.

GO LAURA!!!!!!!!!

Home Again Farm
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:44 PM
Her ride had me in tears. Beautiful from beginning to end. Harmonious, correct, powerful, yet looked so light and responsive. I think without some halo effect scores given to Toto, they might have made a higher score. And I am a Toto fan, so no axe to grind.

Equibrit
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:07 PM
In the special she got 10,10,9,10,10 for a piaffe !

stolensilver
Sep. 29, 2010, 06:02 PM
I don't really know how to feel right now. I wanted Laura and Alf to win so much and they did a superb test. His piaffe is incredible! But Totilas was incredible too and I think, deserved to win.

It is good for the sport that Totilas does have a rival. I love the happy way Alf goes about his job and how he is so big he could blow Laura away in a single move if he chose. He chooses not to. Toto and Gal appear to be fused into a single entity. I think Edward will win the Kur on friday but when these two amazing horses and riders meet again in the future it will be very close. Laura may yet beat him. :)

nomeolvides
Sep. 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
So lovely for things to go right for them, and what a marked difference from Hong Kong! Well done Laura and Alf (and team) :)

Coreene
Sep. 29, 2010, 07:28 PM
Okay, sorry but having a first and last name that is forever misspelled I am sensitive to this: her surname is Bechtolsheimer. It is not as it is spelled in the thread title.

And I think she and Alf are just fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. :yes:

mickeydoodle
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:43 PM
I think their ride was just fabulous, but T was more consistent, totally on his game, through and supple for the whole test- Mistral was just slightly less polished, slight bobbles, I do not think there were "halo" scores for T.

atr
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:48 AM
We're lucky to have the opportunity to watch two such fabulous partnerships.

Both outstanding riders with a special bond with their incredible horses.

(Not forgetting Stefan P and Ravel, but really, such competition!)

And Laura B is only 25... much more to come from her.

The Kur is going to be fascinating.

Mozart
Sep. 30, 2010, 12:06 PM
Anything on-line video yet? Pretty please? I feel I need to see this. :yes:

horse2rider
Sep. 30, 2010, 01:52 PM
Follow a lot of Danish Warmblood news on www.horse2rider.eu. The reserve for the Danish team was also by Michellino...

Charlotte