PDA

View Full Version : Nicest bridle with thick noseband?

ForTheLoveOfHorse
Sep. 28, 2010, 02:27 PM
I am a big Edgewood girl.. all of my bridles are Edgewood. I recently got a really nice bridle from them with the really thick noseband for my nice new hunter. I'm debating what I think of it.

As always, it is great quality, but I'm not sure about the design.

I know there are other brands that have a more flat outer part, and only the very center is raised. What brands would you recommend?

Thanks!

sansibar
Sep. 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Jimmy's 21st Century are simply amazing! :)

pinkme
Sep. 28, 2010, 03:24 PM
Jimmy's hands down.. you can always just get a noseband.. they match well with edgewood (which IMHO is my least favorite brand)

MsRidiculous
Sep. 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
I bought the edgewood non-padded wide noseband (just by itself) and put it on my regular edgewood bridle. I think it looks great on my mare. I really prefer it to the look of the raised padded one they make. Plus it was a lot cheaper to just buy a new noseband rather than a whole new bridle.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs655.snc4/61545_10150288681960641_630400640_14887924_1236710 _n.jpg

RugBug
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:48 PM
After listening to Lucassb rave and seeing ponymom64's new one, I took the plunge and bought myself an Aramas. I LOVE it and am kicking myself for not buying one sooner. It looks fantaastic on my horse and is easily the nicest bridle I own...and it was VERY inexpensive. I look at my bridle rack and see the piece of crap that was only $60 less and wonder how I could've wasted the money needlessly.

ponymom64
Sep. 28, 2010, 05:14 PM
After listening to Lucassb rave and seeing ponymom64's new one, I took the plunge and bought myself an Aramas. I LOVE it and am kicking myself for not buying one sooner. It looks fantaastic on my horse and is easily the nicest bridle I own...and it was VERY inexpensive. I look at my bridle rack and see the piece of crap that was only $60 less and wonder how I could've wasted the money needlessly.

;)

Love the Aramas - it looks very smart and the leather is lovely!

So glad you are happy with yours, RugBug

ForTheLoveOfHorse
Sep. 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much for your replies. Anyone have a pic of either the jimmy's on its own, or, even better, on a horse?

ForTheLoveOfHorse
Sep. 28, 2010, 07:56 PM
Nevermind! Found some pics. Absolutely love them. So now someone has to help me decode... what exactly do I want to order based on this?
http://jimmys-saddlery.com/headstalls.html

All I know is I want a fat noseband/caveson (I think 1"... does that sound right?). Am I safe to just get a noseband? Is the consensus that it will match up okay with my edgewood bridle? Or would my best bet be to get the whole bridle?

Thanks again!

Lucassb
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:12 PM
Nevermind! Found some pics. Absolutely love them. So now someone has to help me decode... what exactly do I want to order based on this?
http://jimmys-saddlery.com/headstalls.html

All I know is I want a fat noseband/caveson (I think 1"... does that sound right?). Am I safe to just get a noseband? Is the consensus that it will match up okay with my edgewood bridle? Or would my best bet be to get the whole bridle?

Thanks again!

The Jimmy's bridles are beautiful... I love the one I have although it's older, and has a standard noseband. I also LOVE my Aramas wide noseband bridle, although last I heard they were doing the strap over crowns, which I don't care for.

The "wide" nosebands tend to be just over 1"... 1 1/8th or so. I am sure they will match your Edgewood quite well, although IMO the Jimmy's leather is a LOT nicer, so if you can afford a whole new brldle, that is what I would do.

They are stunning, you won't be sorry.

ForTheLoveOfHorse
Sep. 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm sure I'm crazy, but I'm not finding prices on the website..???

Also... is their sizing pretty customary? If my horse goes in a Full sized Edgewood should I assume a Full Jimmy's will do the trick?

sansibar
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm sure I'm crazy, but I'm not finding prices on the website..???

I think for the entire bridle they are about $800, at least that is what this website has them priced as.

http://www.theloft-tackshop.com/acircuit.html

klmck63
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:06 AM
I think for the entire bridle they are about $800, at least that is what this website has them priced as.

http://www.theloft-tackshop.com/acircuit.html

:eek: Does it guarantee a win, too?

SquishTheBunny
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:16 PM
For the price- Aramas hands down! BEAUTIFUL leather, gorgeous and soft. The do tend to fit very similar to the edgewoods though (a little on the big side). I actually replaced my edgewood bridle with the Aramas one. Including reins, it was $250 on sale.

RugBug
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
For the price- Aramas hands down! BEAUTIFUL leather, gorgeous and soft. The do tend to fit very similar to the edgewoods though (a little on the big side).

I didn't find it to be big...in fact, I found that a full size Aramas fits my cob-cavesson, horse crown/brow band just fine. The throatlatch is too big and will need to be adjusted, but after trying a lot of full size bridles on him with everyone being too big in the cavesson, I was please with the Aramas.

ponymom64
Sep. 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
I didn't find it to be big...in fact, I found that a full size Aramas fits my cob-cavesson, horse crown/brow band just fine. The throatlatch is too big and will need to be adjusted, but after trying a lot of full size bridles on him with everyone being too big in the cavesson, I was please with the Aramas.

The throatlatch on mine was WAY too big and actually the cavesson is too big, too. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten the Cob size, but I got such a great deal on the horse size, we can live with having the throatlatch and cavesson cut down

It may be just a function of the horse being a peanut and me being cheap ;) , as he wears a cob size in everything else

pacificprima
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:05 PM
slightly off topic, but what is the fuss about the Aramas stuff?
I needed to replace my leathers so bought some of their lined stirrup leathers, figured they were good quality for a reasonable price, but as I was taking the tags off there was a "made in India" tag!! um not what I expected from all the raving on here. I thought it was just my pair so went back and all of the bridles have them too...am I missing something?

RugBug
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:28 PM
ponymom64: I wouldn't say my cavesson is too big as it actually fits and there are extra holes to go tighter if need be...but there is too much excess strap. I have to figure out how to handle that....another keeper or have it trimmed, but I can't even envision how that would work.

I thought the throatlatch on mine would work..but it is too long and should be cut down. We have a great leather guy in the area, but I've only ever had him do minor repairs on non-show items...like my half chaps or a halter, some extra curb reins, etc. I know he is capable of quality work, but I'm askeered.

pacificprima - they are made in India, but they aren't the quality of most of the stuff made in India...IMO at least. My Aramas is one of the nicest bridles we have in our barn....and it was half the price. For the $169 I paid, it's WAY nicer than any of the Stubbens, Bobby's, Ovations, and Courbettes that tend to rule the roost with my barnmates (all purpose boarding facility). IMO it's nicer than the Red Barn bridle I bought first that ended up being too big (and was quickly sold to a barn mate.

ponymom64
Sep. 29, 2010, 05:33 PM
ponymom64: I wouldn't say my cavesson is too big as it actually fits and there are extra holes to go tighter if need be...but there is too much excess strap. I have to figure out how to handle that....another keeper or have it trimmed, but I can't even envision how that would work.

I thought the throatlatch on mine would work..but it is too long and should be cut down. We have a great leather guy in the area, but I've only ever had him do minor repairs on non-show items...like my half chaps or a halter, some extra curb reins, etc. I know he is capable of quality work, but I'm askeered.

pacificprima - they are made in India, but they aren't the quality of most of the stuff made in India...IMO at least. My Aramas is one of the nicest bridles we have in our barn....and it was half the price. For the $169 I paid, it's WAY nicer than any of the Stubbens, Bobby's, Ovations, and Courbettes that tend to rule the roost with my barnmates (all purpose boarding facility). IMO it's nicer than the Red Barn bridle I bought first that ended up being too big (and was quickly sold to a barn mate.

Our cavesson is on the last hole and still too loose, and the excess is, well, excessive ;) We have a great leather person in the area, so once we're done with a show this weekend - it will go to her to cut down the cavesson. I had my shoe repair dude fix the throatlatch and he did a fine job.

It is an Indian company but the leather quality and workmanship are exceptional for any bridle in that price range