PDA

View Full Version : How far...and will a horse jump...

Hip
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:30 AM
*I'm not sure these questions are in the right section.* I was watching an old movie and the rider jumped a horse across a chasm. My questions, in real life. Would a horse jump a deep and wide ravine? Or more likely to hit the brakes? What is the longest "long jump" on record?

Hip
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:34 AM
I should say the movie horse jumped the chasm through movie magic.

cssutton
Sep. 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
That is not a very good answer.

I have never hunted with them, but I have been told by a person I believe that they jump ditches as wide as 12' on the shore.

Those ditches are there to keep the planted fields from being flooded.

Hopefully someone from that area will see this and post.

I was hunting with Bull Run a few times a year when Grosvenor was master and huntsman and we came to a ditch one day, actually a mostly dry creek bed. The sides were almost vertical and Gro asked me if I wanted to jump it. I looked at the damn thing and it looked like the Grand Canyon when he mentioned jumping it.

So I told him my horse would fall in it and break both our necks and he was kind enough to take us to a place where we could cross it in the normal manner one crosses creeks.

I have a photo of me in my younger days jumping a 4' triple bar with a 12' spread and that gully/creek bed looked a lot wider than that to me.

Of course, 50 years makes them all look a little bigger.

So the answer is that an ordinary hunter who jumps like a timber horse has a normal spread over 4' of something like 20' when jumping at a fast pace.

So whether he will jump a 15' gully or wider would depend on his experience and nerve.

With that, I retire to lurking and hope someone who has been there and done that will chime in.

CSSJR

Rockin H Transport
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:29 PM
That is not a very good answer.
That was a great answer!

We jump and we aint jumpers! We can hit a 8-10, maybe even 12' stretch ......... a good trail horse aint worth a shit if he don't jump, he may leave you stranded that way if he can't!!!

NOW!!! With all that said, there is no "proper form" in trail jumping, lol.

War Admiral
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:44 PM
At the national event 'Rend Show' in Johannesburg, South Africa, the world record long jump was set on April 26, 1975 by a horse named "Something" owned by Mrs. I. G. van der Merwe and ridden by Andre Ferreira. This pair jumped a distance of 8.40 meters (27 ft. 6 in.).

Source: FEI Standards for High Jump and Long Jump Records:

http://www.hrov.be/Jumping/Reglementen/jumping-03.pdf

...And no, I have definitely NOT been there and done that! :eek:

yadayada
Sep. 29, 2010, 08:39 AM
a good trail horse aint worth a shit if he don't jump

lovely.