PDA

View Full Version : Need temporary bitless exercise options, please!!

WSQHGal
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:44 PM
My little lady had a dentist appointment Saturday. All went well but she had a wolf tooth removed. Dentist recommended 2 weeks without a bit in her mouth. No other limitations, just nothing in her mouth till the wound has defiantly healed.

So, my question is, anyone out there have any suggestions for bit-less activities?? I’m already on the hunt around the barn for a bit-less bridle (but have no intention of buying one for just 2 weeks). I did a little ground work with her and was trying to do some lateral work, but was having a hard time without the help of side-reins (as I would usually have her in them to do lateral ground work). I was finding it hard to control both shoulders and keep the outside should from drifting as I can only be on one side on the ground. Can I use side-reins without a bit and just attached them to a halter or cavason? Maybe I am not going about it correctly and need to use/position my body more effectively?

Any experience/suggests would be helpful. :yes:

Thanks in advance! :D

Equibrit
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:09 PM
Sidepull. http://www.buckarooleather.com/hobbles/category/31/headstalls-&-bridles/sidepull-headstalls.html

alibi_18
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
You see, I don't understand how you would be a le to achieve lateral work in side reins! Might as well just be me but I would find it way to restrictive!

Maybe try to work differently? Find new ways of positionning yourself, using arena's walls and or starting the exercice differently?

2 weeks is not that long!!! You'll get back to 'normal' work soon!

Lisa Cook
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
After my horse had dental work this spring, I rode him for a short time in a hackamore, He went quite well in it and we didn't miss a beat until he could use a bit again. :)

Janet
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:50 PM
Do you have a dropped noseband? Just attach the reins to the rings on the dropped noseband. If necessary, put a piece of fleece over the nose part. I have no trouble doing lateral work in that set up. I don't think I did ground work that way, but I would not anticipate a problem.

I use both reins for groundwork- I have never used sidereins for groundwork.

What did you have on her head when you were doing the groundwork?

WSQHGal
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
Do you have a dropped noseband? Just attach the reins to the rings on the dropped noseband. If necessary, put a piece of fleece over the nose part. I have no trouble doing lateral work in that set up. I don't think I did ground work that way, but I would not anticipate a problem.

I use both reins for groundwork- I have never used sidereins for groundwork.

What did you have on her head when you were doing the groundwork?

I do have access to a drop nose band and I think that could be a good option for me. I know, two weeks isn't THAT long... :D

As far as what I was doing ground work in, dentist came out Saturday, so she had that day off afterwards. Sunday I came out to groom her and let her graze per the vets suggestion. She has had a little bit of a sticky stifle, so I was walking/trotting her up hills and desided to just take her into the arena and try some basic lateral moves to keep her loose. So, short answer long, I just had her in a rope halter, which I normally use on her.