PDA

View Full Version : Terrible at bragging, BUT, my boy!!!

Concordia
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:50 AM
I have a 7 year old TB gelding. I ADORE this horse. I've worked with 100's of TB's over the years, but he is probably the nicest one I've had the pleasure of knowing. Here is a little back ground, if you want to skip to the point, just scroll down to "Finally, the brag!" (LOL sorry, I can't help but get excited when I talk about him!)

I bought him as a resale project, but it's killing me to put him up for sale, so I've really been procrastinating!

Anyway, I just wanted to share a little brag. I had considered keeping him for myself after all but I am a 100% Dressage focused rider (I jump, but I don't LOVE it like I do Dressage, and I grew up riding H/J's) and really want to compete at the FEI levels. Since there are VERY few full TB's that make it to that level, I most difficultly decided to sell him and buy a youngster with FEI potential. I ended up with a 2 year old KWPN gelding by Idocus/Zomica W(Ferro).

Well, I still have my boy. LOL I wasn't going to show him this summer because he had slipped on the ice in November (09) and had pretty much the whole winter off due to a sore suspensory from it. I had wanted to show him First Level, but obviously we just lost too much time.

So, he FINALLY came back into full work about June 1st. Completely sound, vet has no worries for future soundness issues. I am shocked at how well this horse came back....he was BETTER then before the accident! I don't know if he matured over winter or if the time off just let figure out how to be a horse again or what, my he was awesome.

Finally, the brag!
So, in AUGUST, I decide, OK, what the heck, I'll take him to a show. We had been schooling TL/First last fall but I want to make his first show experience easy and low stress, so I registered for TL. Mid August we go and he pulls a 67% and a 74%! He was SUCH a pro! Acted like he'd been to a million shows! Calm, confident and all business. The judge called us over after T3 and said "That was smooth as silk"! We had the highest score of the day and won Grand Champion.

September, I take him to 2 more shows. 65%, 65%, 68% and 60% (my bad). We pull another 3 firsts and a 2nd. Two more Grand Champion ribbons.

So, even with missing half the season and loosing the whole winter to train, he still has a great shot at winning the year end GMO division championship. I'm so DANG proud and I just had to share!!!

siegi b.
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:55 AM
Sounds like you have every reason to brag!! Congratulations and continued faith in your boy!

handfish
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:07 AM
You can't post a brag without pictures!

Concordia
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
I can never figure out HOW to post pictures. I have a youtube video, but it say' "For sale"on it, and I know we aren't supposed to advertise on here....

Angelray
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:33 AM
Congratulations! I love TBs and it's always wonderful to hear stories of them excelling in dressage. I think you should keep him!

AnotherRound
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:28 PM
Get a photobucket account - free - can post pics and videos. Easy access for most people, as youboob isn't accessible to many people at work.

Congrats. Isn't that lovely? How wonderful. I think you should keep him and see how far he can go.

Many TBs heal well. They are bred strong to take a pounding and bounce back, I believe. Also, if he was on the track and was trained carefully, his bones and tendons are tough.

I also think they do well in the ring because they have experience so much chaos at the track.

Your boy may have said "Easy peasy. I know how to put on my best when asked!"

I love OTTBs too. Great minds and work ethics, the ones I have known.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:42 PM
Congratulations!!! :) You gotta love when a horse puts out like that!!! (And if you ride well! :) And yay for the TBs!

dwblover
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:07 AM
Yay! TBs are such fun!!

TKR
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
So, now you understand that Thoroughbreds are competitive in sport and in every discipline? Guess so! Great news and congratulations -- love Thoroughbreds!~
PennyG

Zu Zu
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
CONGRATULATIONS ~ pictures please ??? ! YOU should be PROUD !!!!

Tazzie
Sep. 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
Congrats, sometimes they really win us over don't they.