PDA

View Full Version : At home or boarded

Horses1011TS
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hey

So how many of you keep your horses at home?

Please do the poll once,
Thank-you

SidesaddleRider
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:52 AM
You should allow more than just one option. For example, we keep most of our horses here, but have 3 boarded at a farm about 20 min away for various reasons, so actually qualify for two categories.

flyracing
Sep. 27, 2010, 02:39 PM
I chose "other places" because its about an even split of time spent at a boarding stable and at home between the different horses, training schedules and different times of year. I don't have an indoor and the conditions are unridable during the snowing months so working horses are boarded. A horse in training would be boarded for the duration of training. A horse on rest or retirement would be at home. During the summer all the horses have always been home and in full work. So it can really depend.

But, yes, I can and do keep my horses at home, just not all the time :)

Jumper_girl221
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:20 PM
I voted at home. I have my barn, pasture, and ring on family land, so technically it doesn't belong to me, but it practically is. Its not my house either, but only 5 minutes away so not that far.

Simbalism
Sep. 28, 2010, 01:08 AM
I board my mare. I have thought about getting my own farm, but I think I would miss having other people to ride with.

morganpony86
Sep. 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
I also chose "other places" because I board two out-of-state (loved the barn I was at before I moved to a different state, so I left my two retired horses there), and I board my other either with family or at a boarding facility, depending on the season.

Zu Zu
Sep. 28, 2010, 10:02 AM
Boarded ( boarding barns and trainers' barns) all my life til 2003 ~ now ALL are home ~ some with trainers periodically but always return home ~ enjoying the lack of boarding drama ~

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
Before we started our breeding farm we used to board our performance horses. Now we keep the performance horses and pregnant mares at home, board out the foals by the mares side, weanlings and yearlings.