PDA

View Full Version : Best Book?

ctanner
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:02 AM
Now that I have finally accepted that my horse is retired,I have a plan.I know that I will not be getting a new horse for at least 6 months.So in the meantime I want to start over mentally.

So what book do you think has the clearest,most concise,and readable information for an amateur?

Please note I have ridden for years and currently have an amazing and knowledgable trainer,but I have not ridden in the past two years :(

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:06 AM
What sort of a book are you looking for?

E.g., training a young horse, dressage basics, FEI level training????

BetterOffRed
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:29 AM
My favorite Dressage books:

Dressage with Kyra- Kyra Kyrkland
Dressage in Harmony- Walter Zettl
The Essential Paul Belasik: Riding Towards the Light, Exploring Dressage Technique, and The Songs of Horses- Paul Belasik

Taking Up the Reins, A Year of Training in Germany with a Dressage Master- Priscilla Endicott
This is my favorite non training book, but about the experience of training in Germany with Walter Christensen. great, great book!

carolprudm
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Anything by Jane Savoie!

Druid Acres
Sep. 27, 2010, 02:44 PM
Another vote for Walter Zettl and Jane Savoie. Just wanted to add Mary Wanless to the list. I have the one called "The Natural Rider" and I learned a lot from it.

princessfluffybritches
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:54 PM
Paul Belasic is my vote as well for soft riding technique.

ctanner
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:10 PM
What sort of a book are you looking for?

E.g., training a young horse, dressage basics, FEI level training????

I am really looking for books to read that will help give me a better understanding of dressage.I want to reinforce what I know,correct what I got wrong,and throw in a couple of ah-has.

I had great instruction in my youth,but because I was young I thought my opportunities would never end.I am not ready to pay attention,so I want be a better student.

I love the suggestions so far.

Thanks,Tanner

EasyStreet
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:05 PM
Sally Swift- Centered Riding and any thing Jane Savoie!

tobruk
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:35 PM
Riding Logic by Wilfred Muessler if you can find it.