PDA

View Full Version : D-Ring rubbing cheeks - tips?

Char0308
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:28 AM
I am trying my horse in a Myler D-ring Wide Barrel Mullen and he goes great in the bit but the tip of the d-ring is rubbing his cheeks. Any tips? Will the spot toughen up after it heals a couple times? He requires a 5 1/4" bit which I am using in the D-ring right now and the eggbutt version only comes in 5 and 5 1/2 sizes plus I think part of the reason my horse is going well now is the straight part of the cheek on the D-ring.

Equi88
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:13 AM
I had the same problem with an older Myler bit. Looks like the newer ones have "softer" more rounded corners on the D.
Had to stop using it on certain horses. The Arabian mare with a finer muzzle is okay in it.
Maybe you can "round" those edges yourself somehow...

Char0308
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:27 AM
The one I have now is a rental and its a 5 1/4" D-ring; if I look at other sites both D-ring and eggbutt are only available in 5 and 5 1/2, so maybe I do have an old one.

What size would you recommend? With the 5 1/4" I am currently renting my horse has a pinky finger space on the outside of both sides from his lip to the side of d-ring.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hm, interesting, I have that same problem with the Sprenger Duo D-Ring (and I love that bit, she goes GREAT in it otherwise), and my trainer thought it was because of the rubber.

goeslikestink
Sep. 27, 2010, 02:24 PM
not only can it be the bit to small which is the 1st thing to look at but it can also be you the rider as being to heavy in the hand
and relaying on the bit as in ridng your bodyweight into the head area

use your seat to slow a horse down dont grab the reins and alsomake sure you have the correct lenght of reins for your horse

Janet
Sep. 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
If the 5 1/4 is rubbing, try 5 1/2.

Or try an eggbutt, full cheek, or Baucher.

Equibrit
Sep. 27, 2010, 02:31 PM
Bit guard ? http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=4147

Equi88
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:39 PM
I've thought about the bit guards too, but those D rings are huge. Not sure if you could wrestle a bitguard over them?

Don't know if a larger bit size would help, since the tops of those D rings tend to tilt towards the horses muzzle.

I've tried wrapping some smooth electrical tape around the edges, and putting Vaseline on the horses muzzle area of contact, but eventually just changed to a different bit.

Maybe it's time for an e-mail to Myler/ Toklat??

Janet
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:42 PM
And you can't use the bit guards in competition.

dressagediosa
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
I bought a brand-new D ring Mylar that rubbed a HUGE hole in my horse's face in one ride. Yuck! The rings are ENORMOUS, very ugly, and too big for a bit guard.

I found a brand new eggbutt of the same bit (comfort snaffle) on Ebay, and it's been no trouble.

Mallard
Sep. 28, 2010, 06:46 PM
I also had this problem with the Myler D bits.
Poor pony..he was rubbed raw after only 10 minutes.

They do not make a dresage-legal loose ring in his size.

He goes really well in a Sprenger Ultra KK loose ring.

goeslikestink
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:31 AM
i just looked at one, why not just put him in an eggbutt snaffle whereby the d ring is much smaller

Char0308
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks. I returned the D-ring. I am going to try the Myler Mullen eggbutt, but it only comes in 5" and I generally use 5 1/4" which is what the D-ring was; plus I thought the D-ring gave a bit of full cheek action that helped my horse, so we'll see how it works when I try it this weekend.

Thank goodness I am renting these to try out first before buying.