PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Hunt ( yes another one)

hellerkm
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:20 AM
Dd is getting a 17.2 hand warm blood next week, needless to say her old saddle ( which is also my old saddle from childhood) is not going to fit him. We have been hanging onto and using this saddle because it has VERY long flaps that fit her extremely long legs and it worked fine on her narrow TB mare.
DD is 5'9" she is only 98 lbs and she is ALL legs. She plans to start to move into the bigger Eq classes next year at age 14 and I would like a saddle that will last her for a few years. I am pretty sure she won't grow a WHOLE lot more as I was done growing around age 14- 15. I also don't see her putting on a ton of weight since I was built the same way and did not add any lbs until my 40's ( by then she can buy her own saddle LOL)
I sat in a Devoucoux at pony finals just to start to get a feel for some saddles and really liked it, I have not saddle shopped in over 20 yrs and am just wondering what else we need to try. My younger Dd has a Beval Jr that we all love but I don't think they will fit my older DD or her horse LOL!
If anything really stands out or you know of an EQ saddle that EVERYONE just raves about, let me know, we are open to trying anything to find her a perfect match.
Budget: up to about $4000 and we are not ruling out used!

ETA: what is the protocal for buying a custom saddle? is it ok to call several custom companies and have them come out and fit her and her horse to see which one we like the most? or is that considered "tire kicking" if it is then how do we go about trying some of the more customized saddles if we are not in an area with a tack shop that has a good used supply?

Concetta
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hands down a County Innovation or Stabilizer...your horse will thank you

Renn/aissance
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
What is the horse built like?

hellerkm
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:04 AM
medium width with high withers

Summit Springs Farm
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:37 AM
Devoucoux. We have a girl in our barn with the same issues and so far after trying beaucous of saddles, this is the only except the Childress that seems to fit her.

lys.
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:22 AM
5'9'' 98lbs? She needs to model!

Just sayin'. Good luck with the saddle shopping and new horse!

hellerkm
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:27 AM
5'9'' 98lbs? She needs to model!

Just sayin'. Good luck with the saddle shopping and new horse!

I agree she could be making money instead of spending all mine LOL!!

alto
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:30 PM
Age of horse - if he`s under 7, chances are the saddle you buy now will not fit him as he matures, so work that into your saddle expectations.

hellerkm
Sep. 27, 2010, 02:19 PM
Age of horse - if he`s under 7, chances are the saddle you buy now will not fit him as he matures, so work that into your saddle expectations.

He is 13 so done growing, he will only be a lease but will be with us for several years barring any unexpected issues so I think its worth going custom if I can't find something used that will work for both of them.

Ainsley688
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
Try Black Country, I am eagerly awaiting my newly flocked saddle for my impossible-to-fit mare! I got mine through Trumbull Mountain, and they are awesome. Good luck! :-)

Lucassb
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:54 PM
Unless the horse is very hard to fit, I would recommend buying a high quality USED saddle. That way you know exactly what kind of fit you are getting (new saddles need break-in time, and although you can tell a bad fit right away, you can't really assess the finer details until the leather is broken in, and once that happens - if it's not perfect, it's not like you can return it for a full refund.) My experiences having "tweaks" done at that point left a very bad taste in my mouth, personally, and I will never go down that (expensive, frustrating, horrible) road again.

I have had all the top brands, including Devoucoux, Antares, TC, Hermes etc. Devoucoux was an absolute HORROR show to deal with - you can do a search on these boards to learn about their "customer service" - but if you can find one that you like used, they can be very nice, well made saddles.

Antares also makes a really beautiful saddle and I had great service from them, but you can find folks who had bad experiences, too.

I think when it comes to custom saddles, so much depends on the individual rep in question, and there is a lot of turnover in those jobs. Quite a few reps have made the rounds working for several different firms.

I have never heard anything bad about CWD; you may want to check them out as well.

For the last couple of years, I have ridden in a Butet, and LOVE it. They have always been known as "rider" saddles - super balance, very comfortable, and gorgeous - which is why you see them so often in the eq ring. For a while they were so "trendy" that people seemed to put them on EVERY horse in sight, and they got a bad rap for making horses back sore (NO saddle fits every type of horse, including this one.) Since then, there has been more emphasis on saddle fitting and they now offer a couple of different trees, including the FB2, which is made for more of a warmblood build. That's the one I have, and it is fabulous.

They offer various flap and seat combinations to customize fit. I was lucky and mine fit "right out of the box" but I know others who wanted longer flaps, more forward etc and that is all available.

hellerkm
Sep. 27, 2010, 05:54 PM
Lucassb,
Thank you SOOOO much! I have heard the Devoucoux horror stories and was not looking forward to that experience! I am searching online in all the "usual" used saddle places and have seen some options. I just know that this is going to be like hunting for a needle in a hay stack. heck DD's butt still fits in her 15inch beval, the legs however end up in the next county LOL! Most used saddles I come across that have flaps long enough also have 17 or 18 inch seats LOL!! Thats a ton of room to slop around in!
I am waiting to really start trying saddles until the horse arrives later this week, but all of the info in this thread has been helpful, so now at least I know which direction I am headed.
I am also a huge fan of Butet, and they are a bit easier to find since we are fairly close to Bevel in NJ. I will just keep my eye out on their used saddles as well as make the trip over there to have her fitted.

Across Sicily
Sep. 27, 2010, 06:23 PM
When fitting for custom saddles, it is not abnormal to have more than one or two (or three or twelve) saddle fitters out. It just depends on what you find that you like!

I have heard several horror stories about CWD; if you do some searches on the board, you can find some interesting stories. Then again, there are horror stories about just about every brand, so after awhile it becomes one of those things you might just have to deal with. I would not EVER deal with Devoucoux considering the vast number of people who have had issues with their fitting/reps/customer service - again, do a search - spending $4-5k on a new saddle better get me some darn good customer service as well. If I were looking at a used saddle, though, I might leave it on the list. I happen to dislike all the models I've tried, unfortunately!

In the Eq ring you'll probably find a lot of French stuff, but then, it's all about finding what fits horse and rider. Probably the more popular ones include Butet, CWD, Antares, Devoucoux, and that kind of thing, but again - it totally depends on what fits horse and rider.

I'm about the same height as your DD and have a super long leg with the majority of it in the upper leg (35" inseam; I wear a regular height tall boot and half chap... yeah, THAT'S fun for balance) and Delgrange (Bruno, that is; I haven't tried the PJs) carried the absolute perfect balance for me with the extra extra forward flap. You might consider looking into Delgrange if she is similarly shaped - and even if she isn't. :)

County is fabulous and also have excellent balance points. Black Country, at least going through Trumbull Mtn, are well known for their CS, pleasing price point, attention to detail, and comfort.

There are a million saddle brands out there... it just kind of depends on what your DD ends up liking. Start sitting in a bunch!

Equus_girl
Sep. 27, 2010, 06:46 PM
I love my Butet BUT I found that it is hard to fit to horses with high withers. It fits my flat-backed WB perfectly, but I cannot put it on high withered Tb cross :(

Having said that, I am in Nor Cali and I love our Devoucoux reps and customer service. My barn gets both jumping and dressage saddles from them. In fact, I am waiting for my custom dressage Devoucoux saddle to arrive and I have received best feedback and plan of action for my VERY hard to fit Tb cross (I had 6 custom saddleries out trying to fit him.)
They also give you 6 months of adjustment period, for horses which could change with different training, etc.

Renn/aissance
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:09 PM
medium width with high withers

You may want to look into Devoucoux. If you search the board you will also find good stories about them- mine included. In any case, if you're shopping used (as I agree with other posters that you should) you will find plenty of used Devs elsewhere. Particularly look at the Biarritz model. In my experience that saddle's banana shape leaves a lot of room for a high wither and the wide gullet is comfortable for many horses. My Dev is custom made for a difficult horse to fit, but it has the most wither clearance out of any saddle in the barn.

hellerkm
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:28 PM
You may want to look into Devoucoux. If you search the board you will also find good stories about them- mine included. In any case, if you're shopping used (as I agree with other posters that you should) you will find plenty of used Devs elsewhere. Particularly look at the Biarritz model. In my experience that saddle's banana shape leaves a lot of room for a high wither and the wide gullet is comfortable for many horses. My Dev is custom made for a difficult horse to fit, but it has the most wither clearance out of any saddle in the barn.

I did really like the Dev Biarritz I sat in, DD and I have similar taste in saddles. VERY comfy, but again the horror stories??? I am going to try and have her fitted to one and then look for it online used, I really want to see the horse in person first and then make my choices based on that. We are shipping him in on trial without seeing him in person first, we did have a friend look at and ride him ( don't have a heartattack) so we are fairly certain he will work out.