PDA

View Full Version : boots-custom don't fit:(

whatnow
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:48 PM
OK, ordered custom boots and they don't fit:( My daughter is a custom boot kid, unfortunately. The Ariat Monacos do fit her but after how badly her Ariat Crownes wore, I'm not thrilled about spending $900 on these boots. The leather is so much softer than the Crownes, I'm sure that she'll go through them quickly even if she babies them.

Anyone have any suggestion on boots which fit like the Monacos without the price and better leather? I'd like to get off the shelf boots if possible, given that we've now wasted the entire summer on customs which are too short. Supposedly the company is getting back to me on what they'll do for us tomorrow. I'm not hopeful it is going to come out well for us.

The Monacos are the only ones which are tall and slim enough for her big foot. She's a tall and slim in the Monacos. I think we can get the width in many different boots, the height is going to be the problem.

I'm open to suggestions...

AndNirina
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:12 AM
Believe it or not, the Mountain Horse Supremes are lovely, lovely boots. My measurements are tall and slim also, and they come nearly as tall as the Monacos, I believe. I use mine as my schooling boots, but would happily show in them if I didn't already have show boots. They're soft, nice leather with virtually no break-in. I'm impressed with mine.

If you order off the shelf Der Daus from Smartpak, they allow you to customize the height for an additonal $25... I'm not sure how long that would take, though. Also Smartpak carries DeNiro field boots, which come tall and slim. Otherwise, the only other off the shelf boots I can think of would be Beval Puissances or Sergio Grassos. Good luck!

Equsrider
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:33 AM
Don't spend the money! They will wear thru at the seams in no time flat, finally ordered customs for my daughter, same issue as yours,Slim and Tall! I returned the customs TWICE! and the 3rd time they Finally came back right!!! The tack store that measured her really went to bat for me with the custom company, and even GAVE her a free pair of Monaco's as her pair was soo torn at several seams she was riding with alot of bare leg next to stirrup leather:eek:, they were less than a year old, btw...The tack store gave her the Monaco's because it took an extra 6 weeks during the summer show season to get the customs right!And that was the RUSH order I paid for....send them back and make them fix them!!!

HowDoILook
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:13 AM
I loved my Ariat boots until this weekend, when the zipper broke :no: I had to borrow my friends Treadstone boots and they are WONDERFUL!!!! the are really tall and come super slim, we both have baby legs. And the best part is, they arent very expensive. She said hers were the Grand Torino style. The are nice and slim through the ankle as well, which is what I didnt like about my ariats. Im actually off to buy a pair today :)

Treasmare2
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:16 AM
My customs took two trips back to get them right. Now they are right and they are lovely. I figure that is what you are paying for in a custom...the right fit. Sometimes people hit it lucky and they fit the first time but the more I hear the more I think this is rare. Keep sending them back. Your tackshop sounds great and they are treating you very well.:yes:

Fashion Police
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:49 AM
Der Dau has a really extensive range of semi-custom sizes, so does Ottaviano, both at less than 1/2 the price of custom. I think Smartpak & Dover carry both.

The Monacos are lovely, but if you have a kid that wears through the leather of Crowne Pros (wow - how often does she wear them??) I wouldn't even think of it. They're a show boot, not a schooling boot. The selling feature of these is feel & immediate gratification, not longevity. IMHO.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:57 AM
I woudl think the company you odered them from should make good?

We ordered custom Vogels, actually went there directly in NYC to be measured, daughter didnt want zippers, she could get them on perfect and they looked great, then the problem, she couldnt get them off!!! and when they finallyl fell, she had huge elephant ankles!! Vogel was great, we went back and they said the only way to fix the problem was to put a zipper in, they did and they also tightened up the ankle! Great to work with, but that was direct with them, could be different going through a tack shop.

sweetpea
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:48 AM
Smart pak has them now --
But before that a tall girl in our barn order them online from I think Brogenni
and they are so gorgeous -- they are my next boot -- And the Mountain horse supremes are not tall enough I tried them and they are tooooooooo soft.

Equus Rider--
Maybe your daughters horse is responsible for why the boots are wearing out--
I would be glad to take him off your hands so that you could save the boots!!!!!!

Pony'tude
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:54 AM
I second the vote for Treadstones. I got a pair this summer, rather than pay to have zippers put in my custom Dehners, and I LOVE them. They were broken in after one ride, and are very nice quality for the money. :yes: I believe I also have the Grand Torino model. I got them on sale from Equestrian Collections, and had to wait a bit because I needed the slims, but they were a great company to work with. They are so comfortable that I forget I have them on, and often end up walking around in them all day :)

Summit Springs Farm
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:19 AM
La Mundials, cost less than my Monacos and fit great!

Chouteau
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
I love everything Beval but the Puissance boots do not wear well although they are pretty and fit well, I take immaculate care of my tack and these boots only lasted one season. I also have trouble finding a boot that is tall and slim enough (I have a small foot so everything stock is too short). Thank you for the suggestions on this thread - I lucked into a reject pair of Vogels that fit beautifully but again the leather is so soft I'm not sure how long they will last so I'm always keeping an eye out for options!

Lord Helpus
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have never heard of a company making a custom boot and then refunding the money without trying many times over to make them fit -- even to the point of making an entirely new boot.

Has your boot company taken them back and refunded your money? That seems very strange.

Equsrider
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:54 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D:D:eek:

Equus Rider--
Maybe your daughters horse is responsible for why the boots are wearing out--
I would be glad to take him off your hands so that you could save the boots!!!!!![/quote]

whatnow
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:22 PM
I don't want to say that company's name as it is still in the works but their "fix" is to add a tab around the top of the boot to make them taller. That is not my idea of making them taller. They told me to have her wear them at a show this summer (they came in three weeks late and we were out of town and then came back into town to leave for the show the next day). I didn't have time to get new boots and it is literally about impossible for us to find off the rack boots.

Now, they are saying they will not do new boots because she wore them. They told me to have her wear them. I was going to have her wear the old boots...which are too short as well.

It is becoming a nightmare. The boots went back the first week of August and because I initiated the phone call, I've found out they have been sitting there. I think they forgot about them. So, it is now almost October and too late to order other customs before we need them.

I'm hoping that they will fix it but again, not hopeful. They won't do new boots, they said adding a top to them will be fine. It won't be fine in my book. So, I'm off to see if we can find other boots.

The Crownes didn't wear through but after one or two rides the color of the boot was rubbed off on the inside of the leg. The leather wasn't dyed all the way though. It is pretty crappy leather and I'm not enamored with Ariat's fit.

Lucassb
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:44 PM
I don't want to say that company's name as it is still in the works but their "fix" is to add a tab around the top of the boot to make them taller. That is not my idea of making them taller. They told me to have her wear them at a show this summer (they came in three weeks late and we were out of town and then came back into town to leave for the show the next day). I didn't have time to get new boots and it is literally about impossible for us to find off the rack boots.

Now, they are saying they will not do new boots because she wore them. They told me to have her wear them. I was going to have her wear the old boots...which are too short as well.

It is becoming a nightmare. The boots went back the first week of August and because I initiated the phone call, I've found out they have been sitting there. I think they forgot about them. So, it is now almost October and too late to order other customs before we need them.

I'm hoping that they will fix it but again, not hopeful. They won't do new boots, they said adding a top to them will be fine. It won't be fine in my book. So, I'm off to see if we can find other boots.

The Crownes didn't wear through but after one or two rides the color of the boot was rubbed off on the inside of the leg. The leather wasn't dyed all the way though. It is pretty crappy leather and I'm not enamored with Ariat's fit.

I would not find that "solution" acceptable, either, and I hope you stick to your guns.

Hopefully you paid for them by credit card and can enlist the card company to help you with the dispute.

I personally loved my Sergio Grassos and got a perfect fit by ordering carefully from the many options they have available. I needed a boot quickly while I waited for my customs (Der Daus) to be made this winter.

juststartingout
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:54 PM
Another vote here for the Mountain Horse Supremes.... they are beautiful and the fit - at least for y DD - is better than the Monacos... at half the price

whatnow
Sep. 27, 2010, 06:52 PM
Not worried about the money at all. Visa is great with disputes. What I am worried about is the timing of the thing now.

Where did you order your Sergios? The Mountain Supremes are too short for us.

joyful
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:02 PM
How frustrating for you! Stay strong! If the company is a good one, they will make the boots work for you. I've always had custom boot from Vogel and they have always been lovely to work with. Good Luck!

Mayaty02
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:04 PM
when do you need them and how tall do they need to be?

whatnow
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:28 PM
Need them by the third week of October (she has way too short ones that she can get on but they are not ideal).

Her measurement in centimeters is 54 which is approximately 21.25 in inches. This allows for a little drop but not much. There shouldn't be much drop with zippers anyway.

Equsrider
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:35 PM
That's exactly why my tack store gave us a free pair of Monaco's...because we had to have boots to show in while the customs were being made right for the 3rd time!!! See if they will give you a loaner pair until the customs come back...and our custom company today my daughter to wear tham as well, but poor sister of cinderella couldn't get her foot into one boot, they were like 2 different boots made for 2 different people!LOL!!what size foot do you need?

Lucassb
Sep. 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
Not worried about the money at all. Visa is great with disputes. What I am worried about is the timing of the thing now.

Where did you order your Sergios? The Mountain Supremes are too short for us.

I bought them at New England Finals... I wish I remembered the name of the vendor, as they were super helpful. They were the only (stock) boots I've ever found that were both tall enough and slim enough to fit my calves perfectly right out of the box.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 28, 2010, 03:53 PM
Have you tried the tall slim Beval Puissance?

southernbell
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:00 PM
My DD has a long slim leg, too and we got the Treadstone calf leather boots. The leather is lovely and they are very tall, slim and very fitted at the ankle - not sure what the height measures but they'd didn't drop very much at all.

I ordered from Equus Now and they were of course, very helpful

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 28, 2010, 04:00 PM
how tall is your daughter? 54 seems really really long. Even the tallest Beval at a size 11 is only 52 cm?

whatnow
Sep. 28, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yes, the 54 is very tall, herein lies the problem. At the rate she's growing, we're going to need an 18 hand horse soon. We are in a 5 flap saddle. All legs, short upper body...she's 5'10. I hope the growing has stopped.

The Monacos work because the spanish top is so high on them that it covers up the fact that they too are a tad short on her.

I placed an order for another set of customs from a different company.

I'll never do business with La Mundial again. I know that many on this board warned people about them but it seems that it is a crap shoot that you actually get boots that fit. My friend has been waiting on hers since February. They don't return calls, emails or the like...she has ordered two sets and is waiting for the third try to come back. If they work and you get the correct sizes, the boots are really pretty. Doesn't matter if they don't fit though.

spina
Sep. 29, 2010, 06:29 PM

I have to tell you that I've never heard of leather "dyed all the way through", and I honestly don't know anyone that doesn't have the color rubbed off the inside of the leg. I always thought that was how they were supposed to look (if you rode enough). And DON"T polish the inside of the leg, either.

Sorry you're having such trouble, though - it does sound like a nightmare.

Belair
Sep. 29, 2010, 06:42 PM
What size foot does she need?

whatnow
Sep. 29, 2010, 07:54 PM
I know what the leather is supposed to look like on the inside of the boots. Her current Ariat boots are white on the inside. It is hard to describe but if you scratch the leather with your fingernails you get a white spot. Looks like the leather was painted and not dyed for lack of a better description.

Other friends have the older Ariats made in Italy and their leather is faded on the inside but not white. It looks like it simply needs polish (I know not to polish them on the inside of the boots.) not that all of the dye/pigment is gone from the leather.

At any rate, we've not been happy with how those Ariats wore and while I do love the Monaco leather and the fit, the leather is way too thin to wear well. The tack stores aren't even recommending that people do anything other than show in them. They are fragile, pretty but fragile. Not what you'd put a kid in for sure.

The foot still fits her in the Ariats at a size 10 for the other person who asked about sizing.