PDA

View Full Version : Picking an UL prospect as a foal?

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:13 PM
I'd like to raise my own UL prospect at some point. I'd rather pick something already on the ground than breed my own. What qualities do you look for? Faults that are assessable at weanling/yearling stage? Temperment is a high priority for me, how do you weed out the baby stuff from the undesirable traits that linger? I'd be mainly looking at foals from quality bloodlines, preferably with both mom and dad being successful to at least 3rd level.

siegi b.
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:38 PM
Why don't you attend inspections in your area and listen to the judge's comments and learn what they're looking for?

It's very educating and fun and you'll get to see lots of youngsters in the various stages of growing.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:34 PM
I am going to try! Unfortunately for me, where I am living now is kind of warmblood light -- lots of QH and TBs. But I agree, an excellent resource!

Libera
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:46 PM
Look at the parents and siblings!
I'm in the process of raising my prospect, he just turned 3 this year. I also bred him myself though. Anyways, I picked a mare that had competed FEI and had done well at her inspection, and same for the stallion.
I looked at the mare and figured if I'd get a copy of her, I would be happy, and whatever the stallion improved, even better.

The angles pretty much stay the same, everything else might still change... My baby had a short neck for 2 years, and then it finally started getting longer. So not really a lot of advice there...as long as the angles are good :) And you like the parents/ other offspring from either dam or sire.

secretariat
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:16 AM
1. Bloodlines - max potential when the DNA is right, but price is higher.
2. Conformation - don't accept any leg issues except POSSIBLY slightly over at the knee. Many will correct, but you just don't know and the 3-year risk is just not worth it when you only have one that will be part of your family. Slightly long in back, neck, etc., are less significant but the more you start perfect, the more chances you have of ending there - but you'll pay for it.
3. Temperament - If you're an ammy, and this is to be your horse, this is the most important factor. Go into the field with the mommies and babies. Which ones notice you? Which come up to you, or at least investigate? How does he/she interact with the others? The pro probably wants the alpha foal but that's not usually case for amateurs. If halter broken, give the foal a little lesson with pressure (e.g, light push on face or body). Do they learn to give to the pressure, or do they always resist? Do they resent and turn their butts to you? Do they run to the other side of mommy? We've bought more than one who picked us out in the field - coming to us for attention. We've never regretted it.

Valentina_32926
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:34 PM
Purchased my current show mare at 3 months of age.

Temperment (brave)
Uphill movement
Overstep at walk

At 3 months old her trot and especially canter left me standing there with my mouth open. That's how I knew. :D

netg
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:17 PM
If you find inspections you want to take a roadtrip to, let me know!

I'm not baby shopping yet... but since we're working on getting horse property it won't be too long until I'm shopping.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
netg -- you are on!! I'd love to go see Horses Unlimited's foals in NM at some point! LOVE some of their stallions!

netg
Sep. 28, 2010, 08:56 AM
netg -- you are on!! I'd love to go see Horses Unlimited's foals in NM at some point! LOVE some of their stallions!

Let me know!

Are you going to the October show? I'll be schooling my guy there and volunteering. I'm still learning how to direct his energy in new places so it'll be good practice for us before the January show when I plan on competing. :)

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Sep. 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
netg - When and where? My new job gives me Fri-Sun off, so I could volunteer as well if they need extra help! Would love to see you and your boy!

netg
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:22 AM
netg - When and where? My new job gives me Fri-Sun off, so I could volunteer as well if they need extra help! Would love to see you and your boy!

If you want to volunteer, Kim Price is the coordinator: kimprice514@gmail.com

TDC Fall Festival is October 16-17 at the Pima County Fairgrounds (if you haven't been there, take the Houghton exit and ignore signs telling you to get off at Rita, then turn right on Brekke). We'll probably take the horses over on Friday so we can school in the competition arenas, then the show is Saturday and Sunday. I'm doing a half day shift on Saturday, but will be there all day both days. Despite the fact my guy has spent plenty of time in temp stalls at shows, it's my first time taking him to one, so I'll be there being a worrywart. :) My other horses were all great, and he's used to the routine, so I'm sure we'll be fine... sometimes I just have to let myself hover a bit, though!

I'll PM you my # so you can call.

I'm guessing we'll probably see some other board members there, too, so hopefully they'll post that they're going here or on another thread. :)