PDA

View Full Version : college riding

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:14 PM
quick question, is there ever money offered from schools to riders? if so, is it just NCAA schools or even schools with club teams?

Thanks

supershorty628
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:16 PM
I ride for a club team and the team barely gets funding, let alone the riders.

joiedevie99
Sep. 26, 2010, 05:17 PM
I rode IHSA. The school gave the team an annual budget (usually around $5k) with which to do whatever we could. It generally covered our entry fees for all shows, coaching at shows, and transportation.

Team members had to contribute about $400 per semester for their lessons/practices. We definitely never considered giving scholarships. I doubt you will find any money outside of NCAA.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
Like others have said, there is little money outside NCAA riding.

Having said that, I was on a full NCAA scholarship all four years. Now that scholarships are so competitive, even the most exceptional riders typically get between 50-75 percent scholarships, max.

Tollriffic
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:03 PM
I've got scholarship money for being on an NCAA team. Compared to my other academic scholarships though its a small amount; but it is in the form of textbooks and a stipend check.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
Like others have said, there is little money outside NCAA riding.

Having said that, I was on a full NCAA scholarship all four years. Now that scholarships are so competitive, even the most exceptional riders typically get between 50-75 percent scholarships, max.

Thanks, thats what I as looking for, but the school must be NCAA for Equestrian, if the riding team is a club team, but the coach wants you on the team, it's my understanding that the school can not offer any scholarships?

Windswept Stable
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:12 PM
Go to varsityequestrian.com and you can see a list of the Division 1 schools that have riding scholarships.
They all divide them up differently and the amount you get will depend on how much they want/or/ need your talents.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:23 PM
thanks, will take a look,

Darden19
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:19 PM
I think it is illegal for Division III schools to offer athletic scholarships, but I know there have been incidences with very talented athletes where "academic" scholarships are MUCH more accessible. ;)

Tha Ridge
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:21 PM
I think it is illegal for Division III schools to offer athletic scholarships, but I know there have been incidences with very talented athletes where "academic" scholarships are MUCH more accessible. ;)

Yep, when I looked at Mt. Holyoke, that is more or less what the coach told me. I believe coaches can also "recommend" a student for admission, if they would be beneficial to the riding team.

Another to thing to keep in mind is that, unless your daughter is showing 3'6" or above and winning on a national level, her chances of even riding on an NCAA team are quite slim. A good IHSA team on the other hand requires riders of all levels to be successful.

EmJ628
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ask the schools you are interested in. I rode at a school that did not have an NCAA program, they have a VERY successful IHSA program. Many of the students were offered riding scholarships, which ranged from 1000 up to full tuition. Schools that are not Division III can offer scholarships for riding, and the IHSA programs really vary from school to school.

the PP had a good point about riding in NCAA vs. IHSA. Personally, that is where I would start- deciding if you want to ride NCAA vs. IHSA. There are some significant differences.

EmJ628
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
Oh and to clarify: while NCAA teams will all be varsity teams, IHSA teams can be club OR varsity. It will vary from school to school. Our school gave scholarships, paid your entry fees (I honestly did not realize you had to pay to show at an IHSA show til recently, lol), travel, lessons, team jackets, etc. Pretty much all costs were covered minus the rider's IHSA membership each year.

Ray
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
the thing to do is to find a Div 1 school with a major football program; they have to spend $ on female athletes to comply with Title IX :)

Tollriffic
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:37 PM
the thing to do is to find a Div 1 school with a major football program; they have to spend $ on female athletes to comply with Title IX :)

But some of them will be pushed by the school to roster as many riders as possible in order help up the number of girls participating which is also included in the compliance calculation. Since equestrian only has a maximum of 15 scholarships that doesn't go too far if there's 60 girls on the team.

Trilogy48
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:54 PM
We just became a "sports club" at UCF and while not on the varsity level, we are still recognized by the college as a sport and receive funding by the Student Government Association. This funding is split between the two IHSA teams (hunt seat and western) and our Dressage team that competes with IDA. However, the money does help with entry and hotel fees.

Like others have said, we (the hunt seat team) offer two scholarships that cover all of a riders show expenses throughout one season. One of these scholarships is sponsored by our coach and the other is from an outside family in honor of their daughter who passed away.

I would agree with Emj628 and say contact the schools you're interested in and see what they have to offer.

CR Gorge Girl
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:32 PM
Our school is pretty small, but we give a couple scholarships each semester for the IHSA team. They're small, $200, that covers the team fee (goes towards care of horses, ect), however, that's $200 that you don't have to spend!

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:20 AM
Yep, when I looked at Mt. Holyoke, that is more or less what the coach told me. I believe coaches can also "recommend" a student for admission, if they would be beneficial to the riding team.

Another to thing to keep in mind is that, unless your daughter is showing 3'6" or above and winning on a national level, her chances of even riding on an NCAA team are quite slim. A good IHSA team on the other hand requires riders of all levels to be successful.

thanks, just trying to figure out options, she already graduated high school, was taking the year off but I convinced her to enroll in a local school just to keep her head in school while still riding. She didnt do the big eq this year as she has one horse and has been doing the jumpers since the first week of WEF in january, 1.15 - 1.25, somewhat successful, but as you can guess, very expensive, and with the economoy the way it is, trying to find options to keep her riding with her trainer and able to send her to a better school. Wish we had considered all the options availabe while she was still in HS, it would have been easier.

LulaBell
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
I rode all four years at College of Charleston, who has NCAA status but prefers to show IHSA. The beauty of this set-up is that the school covers all fees - we didn't pay for lessons, travel to shows, dinners out while traveling, hotels, flights to Nationals, show entry fees, etc. We also worked out with a personal trainer 3 mornings a week like all the other NCAA teams at CofC.

Every once in a while, we would scrimmage, more or less, against USC usually, for NCAA style practice. The only things we had to pay for were our uniforms - Essex show shirt with school monogram on collar, and a Grand Prix dark gray jacket. We always did a bulk order with the Tack Room in Camden, SC, and got a decent discount - somewhere between 10 and 20%. I've shown in that jacket outside of college showing, absolutely. And of course, TS, good fitting field boots, and a good fitting, show quality helmet. Oh, and a tip at dinners out. So on a weekend of showing, I would spend about $6...$3 tip at dinner two nights in a row.

They do not offer equestrian scholarships as far as I know, but I did graduate 2 years ago (!) and things could have changed. However, it is not difficult to get an academic scholarship to the school, so you can also look at that route.

Good2Go
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:35 PM
Stephens College and William Woods University offer full ride scholarships for certain riders, they have an application process for these scholarships that includes submitting videos and letters of Rec.