PDA

View Full Version : Preventing rust on lead shanks?

equidae
Sep. 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
I have a leather lead shank with a brass chain I bought at Dover cheaply over the summer. I haven't even used it yet, but just the humidity in the tack trunk has already started to cause it to rust!! I know it's cheap but GEEZ!

What should I do for it? Oil? CLR? It's going to be out in the elements at it's just for turn-out, not show, so I'd rather not have it a rusty mess. TIA!

vbunny
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:01 PM
If it's solid brass it shouldn't rust and you can polish it back to good as new. If it's brass plated and it chipped off somehow, I guess it could rust already. I'd go to Lowes and get a no rust spray, they might even have one in brass color so you can touch it up.

ashley.
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:09 PM
I don't think theres much you can do... It's possible to replace the chain on it if you have some simple tools on hand, and you could replace it with a nicer one that wont rust, or replace it with another cheaper chain and use the anti rust spray, but once the rust is there, it's very difficult to get off.

equidae
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:21 PM
If it's solid brass it shouldn't rust and you can polish it back to good as new. If it's brass plated and it chipped off somehow, I guess it could rust already. I'd go to Lowes and get a no rust spray, they might even have one in brass color so you can touch it up.

I doubt it's solid brass.. probably brass plated.. Thanks for the idea of the Lowe's spray paint! I could get the rust-o-leum and maybe pick a cool color ;)

Ghazzu
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:22 PM
Brass doesn't rust.
Iron does.

equidae
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:23 PM
Come to think of it.. I have that stuff already in my garage!:winkgrin:

Gry2Yng
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:17 PM
If it IS brass, put it in some apple cider vinegar. That will take the "green" off the brass without killing yourself polishing the "nooks" in the chain.

A nice leather lead with brass shank will last forever. Buy cotton with "whatever" metal for home. Or just get the shank piece to add on when needed.