PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the difference in Devoucoux saddle models for me?

eventer_mi
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:48 PM
I have ridden in my trainer's old, beat up Devoucoux Biarritz and all my leg position problems have been solved - argh. Of course, she doesn't want to sell it, and it doesn't really fit me anyway, but the balance is unbelievable. I'm looking at getting one in a 17.5" with at least an A flap, preferably AA, but I'm confused on the models. I've spoken with Eric, our local Dev rep, and he said that the Chiberta and the Biarritz are made on the same tree - just one is a monoflap and one isn't. My trainer says that she hates the Chibertas and loves her Ioldy, which is too forward for me.

I've been noticing quite a few of the other models for sale - Oldara and Socoa. What is the primary difference between these three - Biarriz, Oldara, and Socoa? Can anybody explain it to me in terms of balance, feel, etc? I love that the Biarritz tends to put me in a very slight chair seat, which helps me keep my lower leg forward XC. I'm currently riding in an Antares monoflap which is lovely, but I still fight my lower leg a bit in it - not like the Biarritz. Thanks for any help in advance! I wish I could just get Eric out and let me sit in all of them, but there is NO way I can afford one new. :no:

Renn/aissance
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
If this rep is Eric Leysalle, he's fantastic- call him and tell him that you are looking for used saddles. The last time he came to our farm he had his car filled with them.

In my opinion the Biarritz is the deepest seat. The Socoa has a longer working center and I thought a narrower twist also. Haven't ever sat in an Oldara.

SnicklefritzG
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:18 PM
What are the used ones running these days?

*Liz*
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:39 PM
I own an Oldara, and I've ridden in a Biarritz. What I notice, is that both have a wider twist that I personally find very comfortable. My Oldara has a bit of a flatter seat, and the Biarritz seems to have a deeper seat that perhaps puts me ever so slightly in a bit of a chair seat, but it's very comfortable. Both are very comfortable and secure feeling to sit in and to ride a half-seat.

Paris
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:41 PM
and it was 2900 plus shipping.. in very good used shape. I love it.

dogbluehorse
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:49 PM
I just bought a Biarritz (brand new), the saddle guy came to my my place and I tried all of them. I don't remember which model was which, but one of the "newer" models had a sausage like padding right down the center which I found most off-putting (got you right in the crotch). The other one I found the balance a bit weird, so I landed up picking the Biarritz. I got my new saddle and crashed through a fence the first time I rode in it (totally misjudged the distance, he almost took off, then chipped, but wasn't able to get over it), poor horse landed on his nose/knees, I thought I was going to go off in front of him and have him flip on top of me, but with my gorgeous, grippy new saddle, was able to squeeze like hell and stay upright, he managed to recover his balance and trotted away, both of us unharmed. No way I would have stayed on with my old saddle, so to me it paid for itself on the first outing! The brand new one (without adding various leather options, i.e. the "basic" model, which is very, very nice) was $4200.