PDA

View Full Version : Do IHSA coaches actually contact trainers?

Troispony
Sep. 26, 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm a HS senior in the middle of the college application process (so I'm already really stressed) and weeks ago I filled out a lot of recruiting forms for riding teams with my trainers contact info. But recently trainer and I had major falling out (no obvious reason-she just decided to burn bridges all of the sudden). So now I'm worried that they will contact her and I'm not sure I can trust her to be professional about the situation. Should I be worried (because I already am :eek:)?

kateh
Sep. 26, 2010, 03:23 PM
Which schools did you send those forms for? I'd say a lot of teams hold tryouts and that's it. It's only the really competitive teams, or those backed by equestrian programs (Centenary, Findlay etc) that would possibly go deeper.

ApplesToApples
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:13 PM
I can only speak for my Team, but we are just happy to have a relatively competent and safe rider show up for tryouts!

If you are no longer working with said trainer, could you give them the name and contact information of another knowledgeable equestrian who could vouch for your skill level?

Trilogy48
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:26 PM
Again, speaking for my team, I agree with ApplesToApples when we're happy with competitive, safe riders showing up at tryouts. IHSA paperwork for when you make a team requires past trainer information, but I have never herd of them contacting. As far as coaches checking, my coach asks who you have ridden with in the past and if it's someone she knows, she may ask, but doesn't call and check with other trainers that she does not personally know.

I wouldn't be worried, but if you haven't done so, I would contact the schools your interested in and try to get a lesson or a "meet and greet" with the captain/coach. Just taking one lesson prior to moving to the school gave me a competitive edge to people who just showed up at tryouts, since I was able to work on what my coach looked for before official try outs began.

Troispony
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I am certainly trying to make a good first impression and the fact that all of this went on behind my back makes me uneasy. But I'd be content knowing I won't have to call every school individually and give them different contacts! Now all thats left is finding a new barn for the time being...