PDA

View Full Version : Saddles cut for the petite rider in mind?

SnicklefritzG
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:34 AM
I rode in my trainer's Butet recently and loved it. I'm in the market for a new saddle, however, I'm not so sure I want to drop $4k for a new Butet. Even the used ones in good condition don't go for much less.

What I liked most was the fact that the flap length and position (ie not too far forward) seemed very well suited to a petite person. I'm 5'3", so I find that a lot of stuff just doesn't fit properly or is cut for someone taller and with much longer legs. The butet's panel and knee roll location fit beautifully.

Are there other options for saddles around $2k or so that might be well suited for a petite rider who doesn't have super long legs? I'd like to start there if there is anything and then see how that fits the horse too.

Flash44
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:45 AM
I feel for you! My saddle has a forward flap and just does not fit my leg right. I have to jack my stirrups up really far for my knee to actually reach the knee roll. Unfortunately my horse loves it, so I sacrifice...

kisstherain
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:54 AM
If you really like the Butet, check eBay on a regular basis. $2,000 should be able to get you something, or close to it. But you may have to wait a bit for it.

kinnip
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm 5', so I know the pain. I finally did myself a favor and stopped shopping for grown-up saddles, don't know how that would work for you with the extra 3". It had an added benefit in that I can pick up some kid's outgrown saddle on the cheap. I've also found that older saddles often have shorter flaps, but that's a trade-off since they frequently have banana panels. I know a lot of folks aren't loving the current construction of them, but Stubbens have a lot of flap options. I've also had good luck with Prestige.

GoForAGallop
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:22 AM
If you really like the Butet, check eBay on a regular basis. $2,000 should be able to get you something, or close to it. But you may have to wait a bit for it.

Ditto. Ebay has six or seven for under or around $2k right now. Get the info on your trainer's (seat size, flap number/measurement,etc) and try and find one similar on Ebay. No, there is no trial (the thing people complain about most in regards to Ebay purchases) but with something like a Butet or any other quality saddle, it is never hard to toss it right back up on Ebay and make your money back if it doesn't fit for some reason.

lys.
Sep. 26, 2010, 12:36 PM
i just got a new (never oiled, but an '06 that had been in the store a while) for a good deal less than brand new, and at a similar point to what a used one goes for. i got pretty lucky, but i am also petite (5'3'', 110lbs) and love it way more than my antares. So i would definitely try ebay, allthebestusedsaddles.com (which is directly through beval), and highendusedsaddles.com.

mvp
Sep. 26, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm 5'2" and on a wide horse. I'm have a 16.5" thigh and butt. I like a relatively straight flap.

(And resisting a rant about forward flap fashion and everyone jacking up stirrups as if they were going to jump big oxers as the point that 2'6" divisions are huge.... well, that was a rant.)

My favorite saddle of all time is an old AGA Grand Prix.

Also great and maybe to be found around 2K is the Crosby Victory. Nice leather, wool flocked and comfy. But rare. Also, ask pattnic (COTHer) about them. She found a hateable one. I don't quite understand it, but it the pics said it was bad.

My other choice would be a Black Country Quantum. They'll build to your horse's and your specs. A very nice saddle but a little higher than 2K.

melbelle
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:13 AM
I've been lurking for a little bit but I had to join to respond because I'm 5' and feel your pain!

The best saddle I've ever bought was my Crosby Centennial. Great quality, beautiful soft supple leather, and there are four different flap lengths to choose from. The short flap was perfect for me as I had always had trouble finding a saddle with knee rolls that my knees actually touched. It's around $2,000 so right in your price range :)

Here's a link: http://www.tackroominc.com/crosby-centennial-close-contactib-p-1076.html

stormdancer753
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:10 AM
I second the Crosby Centennial ... being 4'11" (almost) ... it fits me perfectly. We made a special trip to the tack gurus at The Paddock in LA. They fit the saddle to me in 1999 and I haven't grown out of it yet. :lol: Mine has the short/forward flap option.

Good luck!

allintexas
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have a semi-custom Antares that fits me perfectly. I am 5' tall on a good day