PDA

View Full Version : How can the same venue charge differently?

Hunter Mom
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:24 PM
This is the time of year for a number of horse shows held in one venue near us. They are hosting arabs this weekend, a local hunter show in two weeks and a rated one in three. There are also QH, ASB, 4H, etc that are a part of this, and all have stabling in the same building. We stopped by the arab show today and were amazed at how small it was.

In talkign to a vendor, he told us that the show has gotten very expensive - stalls are $100, entries $30 a class, etc. The local h/j weekend, stalls are $80. The rated h/j weekend, stalls are $180. I don't understand why there is such a huge variation in prices - it isn't like the unrated horses poop that much less than the arabs who in turn poop close to half of the rated hunters, thus requiring less cleanup at the end. The stalls are temporary, but there for a couple of months during all of these shows. Why would they charge such totally different rates?

supershorty628
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:42 PM
Because people are willing to pay it.

The HITS showgrounds up in Saugerties do the same thing, charging $300 for some stalls for the h/j crowd and less than $100 for the same stalls for dressage.

flyracing
Sep. 25, 2010, 10:27 PM
The horse show management rents the grounds. They then charge what they want (completely independently of other organizations) for each stall. There are some show complexes where stabling is done separately where you don't send stall fees with your entry but request a stall separately from the show grounds. In that case all the stabling is the same throughout the year (at the facility that I know that does this anyways).

Some shows are more expensive to put on that others (Rated hunter jumper show with prize money is a very costly show to put on) they COULD charge 100 for stabling and make their entries more expensive than the industry standard. Instead it makes more sense for stabling and entries to be on par with similar shows and not on par with a 4-h show.

When you go to a hunter jumper show at colorado horse park the stabling is 200 (normal for that caliber of show) and for the horse trial is 110 (normal for eventing), but then there is no prize money given out in the event so less dollars has be generated from competitors.

SEP
Sep. 26, 2010, 12:23 AM
I have often wondered about this:).

This summer at a venue near us there was a rated H/J show an unrated H/J show and a Dressage show all at the same time and stalls were different prices for each show. I think I was the only one with horses in all three shows, so I might have been the only one aware of it. Rated H/J $100 for Tue through Sun, un rated H/J $20/night fron thur through SUn. And the Dressage show $150.00 Thur through SUn.

Needless to say I mentioned this to the Dressage show and mentioned that I wanted to stable with the rest of my horses that were stabled at the H/J show. Once I convinced themtht it would be better to have all of my horses stabled together instead of spread out at both ends of the facility, they were ok with it. Probably in hopes that if they let me stable at the other show I wouldn't say any thing to the other dressage riders about the difference in fees.

poltroon
Sep. 26, 2010, 01:02 AM
The economics of each show are different, and the model of how people pay is different.

For a dressage show, people usually do two classes a day and that's it. There's no upside to add classes. You do your two at roughly $100 total and that's what they get, plus whatever other fees. Thus, stabling is more. Of course, there's the other pressure that people will tend to haul in for the day if stabling gets too high.

For a hunter show, once they get you on the grounds it's very likely that you'll add classes, and do 4-7 classes a day depending upon how high, what flat classes there are, etc. There's more margin coming out of the class fees.

Sponsorships, prize money, stakes classes, all skew how much money is collected.

And then there's the "what people will pay" and what comparable nearby shows charge.

gottagrey
Sep. 26, 2010, 01:03 AM
As others have mentioned it depends on the type of show and whether the show is rated etc. Stalls might be less expensive for a horse trial because they might only need the stalls from Friday to Sunday vs a rated hunter/jumper show where the stalls would be needed from Monday or Tuesday thru Sunday... An unrated H/J show might only need the stalls for one or 2 nights etc. So it might depend as much as the type and length of the show