PDA

View Full Version : Saddles that stain you breeches

doublesstable
Sep. 25, 2010, 08:35 PM
I have been saddle hunting and rode in a few different saddles. I narrowed it down to the Devocoux and the CWD.

But I noticed all the people with the Devocoux (full calf) have orange breeches. The few times I rode in the Devocoux it stained my breeches too.

Has anyone experienced this?

It's kind of steering me to the CWD... Thanks.

keepthelegend
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:25 PM
I have a Devocoux and no stains....it's probably whatever they are conditioning the saddle with and just a coincidence about the saddle brand.

sansibar
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:27 PM
CWD's do it also, it has more to do with the oil you use on them. Any saddle that can absorb oil on the seat has the potential to stain your butt ;) .

flyracing
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:39 PM
Every calfskin saddle that has leather balsam used on it is going to discolor breeches. Has nothing to do with the brand except a tub of leather balsam is included with the purchase of a devoucoux, so unless it is unused or used up the devoucoux will "leak" If you don't want the devoucoux to discolor your breaches use only glycerine and oil. No balsams or conditioners. Its the residue from the conditions that while it feels really great when you feel it, it is what comes off on your pants with the addition of some color. It won't make the saddle loose color over time (that's a problem with grained skins though)

The saddle will stop leaking after about a month of normal cleaning, but maybe a little longer for a rider that moves a lot in the tack. I always leather balsam my saddle the day or two before a show because I love the look and the grip. Then I dry clean my breeches and they come out new looking again (clarino knee patches) my real leather full seats I wear in classics don't seem to take the color up at all so its not been a problem with my expensive white pants. That may just be because its the end of the week though :yes:

flyracing
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:49 PM
I should reiterate: I school in tan ariats daily. It totally discolors the areas of strongest contact (mostly inner thighs for me) since I condition my saddle every other ride and balsam a couple of times a month, but don't really wait for it to dry (which of course then it would need it again :lol:)

I dry clean my two pairs of pants I school in every 1-2 months and they always come out looking new. No discolor left at all. For the in between time I throw them in the wash as usual.

So I guess when choosing products you'll have to decide what really bugs you... dryer tack or orange bum :D But it won't make a difference what brand of saddle you go with.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:54 PM
I have always just used plain oil and never had an issue with discolored britches other than the first ride after a good oil. And even then I get a bit oily, but it is just a little dark, not orange. It comes out in the wash with just regular detergent.