PDA

View Full Version : Vent: The Great Saddle Hunt, UPDATE - added pictures

Green Acres
Sep. 25, 2010, 06:56 PM
Ok, I apologize but I have to buy a saddle for my new horse and it's driving me crazy!!!

I have a County Stabilizer in a medium narrow and it doesn't fit her, just too narrow.:(

I would love another Stabilizer and brought a used wide home on trial. I had a my very un-professional wither tracing with me at the consignment shop and the lady there thought the wide should work. Well I put it on, and it's too wide. I was going to take pictures to post here for the COTH experts but the damn batteries in my camera were dead. UGH! I will take a few pictures tomorrow and post them.

I'm not sure if I need a medium or a medium wide in a Stabilizer. I have left a message for the local County rep with no return call from 2 plus weeks ago. Guess I have to call her back and chase her down.

I have tried a wide Black Country & a Tad Coffin which neither worked. I have had 2 saddles shipped to me, one from my wither tracing and nothing fit. So I have spent $60 in shipping the 2 saddles back. I really don't want to do the long distance saddle fitting through pictures & wither tracing since it's not working. I want a live person to help me fit my horse. Why is this so darn difficult!!!

Ok, thanks for reading my oh so long vent. Any suggestions or anyone going through the same problems that to vent? :lol:

kgro632
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:07 PM
Get a Black country rep out to measure and take pics of your horse and then have it built.

Where are you located?

PNWjumper
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:10 PM
How "too wide" is the wide saddle and how "too narrow" is the med-narrow?

If the wide is just a hair too wide then I would think you could make an educated guess that the med-wide would work. And if the wide is way too wide I would aim for a medium. But your best bet really is to get the County rep out to take a look. It could be that different features (skid row panels or none, etc.) could make a bigger difference than just the tree size.

It also might be worth trying an Innovation which has a slightly differently sized tree than the Stabilizer. It's just a little bit wider (so, for example, one of my horses takes a MN in the Stabilizer but my N Innovation fits him pretty much the same).

juststartingout
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:26 PM
feel your pain... played this game..... for me the only solution was custom to horse and to rider ..... Stackhouse

and that is after trying 10 brands and multiple syles with a saddle fitter....

hope you find something that works

Trixie
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:32 PM
I very much feel your pain.

Nothing fits my horse as well as the saddle I can't afford. Of course. And I can't find it used, either.

Green Acres
Sep. 25, 2010, 08:29 PM
How "too wide" is the wide saddle and how "too narrow" is the med-narrow?

If the wide is just a hair too wide then I would think you could make an educated guess that the med-wide would work. And if the wide is way too wide I would aim for a medium. But your best bet really is to get the County rep out to take a look. It could be that different features (skid row panels or none, etc.) could make a bigger difference than just the tree size.

It also might be worth trying an Innovation which has a slightly differently sized tree than the Stabilizer. It's just a little bit wider (so, for example, one of my horses takes a MN in the Stabilizer but my N Innovation fits him pretty much the same).

I will take some pictures tomorrow of both saddles and post. My MN Stabilizer does have skid row panels and the wide does not.

Yes, I agree that I need to have the County rep out. I really would love to find a demo or a used saddle to save some money. :yes:

mvp
Sep. 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
I will take some pictures tomorrow of both saddles and post. My MN Stabilizer does have skid row panels and the wide does not.

Yes, I agree that I need to have the County rep out. I really would love to find a demo or a used saddle to save some money. :yes:

The skid row panel info is important.

Does your mare need skid row- or dropped panels in whatever she'll wear? One way to tell is to feel around the underside of the panel where it meets the sweat flap-- as best you can. It's tough. Do it with her naked and the saddle ungirthed. You are feeling for very small gaps or tightness.

A MN with skid row panels and a W will be very different saddles. A M may or may not work depending on how much she needs the skid row panels. But that may be true for other saddles as well.

Does the shape of the Stabilizer tree fit her otherwise? Do you like it?

All of these questions might help you make a better guess next time-- you either pay for shipping or pay a fitter.

And could you be persuaded to look at a Smith Worthington SW Trainer? They are pretty, minimalist, buffalo saddles. The folks at the Hartford warehouse know their stuff about saddle fitting. They'll help you with better wither tracing instructions and have a huge supply of demos. They'll also flock to your specs as well.

If I liked the Stablizer's minimalism and were going to spend that much money anyway, I'd at least look at a high-end Smith Worthington.

Green Acres
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
Here a few pictures of the 2 different Stabilizers.

First is the Wide Stabilizer that I have on trial.

http://i54.tinypic.com/b3lz6g.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/11sm8w3/7

When looking under the panel, the wide seems to gap some if that makes sense.

Next 2 pictures are with the MN with skid row panels:

http://tinypic.com/r/eaicuq/7
http://tinypic.com/r/11274e9/7

Obviously too narrow and tight in the shoulders.

I'm going to call the County rep tomorrow since I obviously need help.:lol: