PDA

View Full Version : HA dosage, why so little difference avg 150lbs human vs avg 1500lbs horse?

Lieslot
Sep. 25, 2010, 06:42 PM
What am I missing?
I take 200mg HA daily myself and so is my horse.

Yet glucosamine, MSM etc is recommended in much larger quantaties horse vs human.

Any ideas why? Purely cost? Wouldn't it be logic the horse receives 1000mg HA daily rather then the currently used 50mg to 200mg in most equine sups?
I'm assuming there's perfectly good reason why the dosage human vs horse is the same, I'd just like to know the 'why' :).

flyracing
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm going to speculate cost or maybe availablility... or what someone did first became standard :lol: I don't know, my daily supplement has 10mg HA and notice a big difference with it and horse is on 150mg per day... maybe I give my horse too much!

On another note it could be something like with equiox/previcox (identical drug different name for horse/dog) where the equine dose is 57mg/1,000lb and the dog dose is 57mg/20lbs :eek::eek: which has to do with how the drug is metabolized between the species and nothing to do with how much each weighs compared to the other. I should point out when I say it is identical, people give the dog tablets to horses when the horse can't or won't accept the paste form (or because it is cheaper ;))

deltawave
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:48 PM
You're assuming a lot. :) It's entirely possible that dosing trials have never been done for these products in horses, because there's no demand to do so. Also don't forget that horses aren't just very large humans. You can't just multiply human things by 10 to get an equine equivalent. :)