PDA

View Full Version : Show Coats

Covergirl15
Sep. 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
Well, I am looking for a new show coat and was wondering what you guys recommend. I want something that will last a while, but I'll probably only use it a couple of times a year. I'd like to spend less than $300 and a little bit lower is better, but I don't want a cheap one that doesn't look nice. My only requirement is I like the ones with silver buttons, I'm not a huge fan of just the black or navy buttons. So what coats do you like?:)

ThreeFigs
Sep. 25, 2010, 11:43 AM
Look at good used coats. Buying used is a great way to get quality for less. I think the cheap new coats don't always hang the way they ought.

Get your measurements (bust, waist, hip, arm) if you shop online or through catalogs.

I have a Pikeur with silver buttons that I love, but it's warm (OK, HOT) to wear in the summer. I had a lighter weight coat made this spring, but it cost nearly $500.

Don't bypass a coat that fits well if the only drawback is buttons you don't like. You can replace the buttons yourself. Easy!

enjoytheride
Sep. 25, 2010, 11:52 AM
Ovation and RJ classics make lovely coats for under $200.

Covergirl15
Sep. 25, 2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the opinions so far, please keep them coming:)

SBrentnall
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:01 PM
Try ebay--you can get a ton of nice stuff for much lower than retail.

lthorse
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:19 PM
I just posted my slighted used Pikeur short coat on Craigs List $275. Strangely it does not have a size tag. I am 5'7" 135 lbs. (or shall I say I was when I bought it :D) that is why it is for sale.

TeamWahlen
Sep. 26, 2010, 12:51 AM
Buy a cheap coat that fits, go to Micheal's and buy some buttons and put them on yourself ;D No one has ever noticed the difference on mine!

paintlady
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:00 AM
Pikeur, Eurofit and Golden Dress are all high-end German-made coats with silver buttons. You can find them all used for under $300. I have one for sale in a 16R (I'd say that it fits a size US 12-14) that might interest you - PM me if that is the size you're looking for.

horsecents
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
lthorse - Did you look inside the pocket underneath the Pikeur label on the inside of the jacket? I have a Pikeur jacket I need to sell and that's where I finally found the size tag.

Sonoma City
Sep. 26, 2010, 02:11 PM
You can get a new Pikeur or Cavallo coat for under $200 (including shipping) from European websites. I went to my local tack store and tried them on for size, then ordered it online.

Linda
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:52 PM
I bought a Pfiff on line that was on sale at the end of the season. Its dark navy with a hardly discernable small dark gray pin stipe, a little bit of velvet on the color and silver buttons. If I recall correctly, it was just a little over $100. I love the fit - it has some spandex in it so it gives through the shoulders which makes it more comfortable.

After spending yrs in jumpers, equitation and medals, I was bound and determined to have something a little more interesting than a plain black or plain navy coat. I have received a lot of complements on it too which is nice. Since Im new to dressage land, I wasnt sure how it would be received. But so far, everyone seems to like it.

dilligaff2
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:34 PM
I sent you a PM

lthorse
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:45 AM
lthorse - Did you look inside the pocket underneath the Pikeur label on the inside of the jacket? I have a Pikeur jacket I need to sell and that's where I finally found the size tag.

There it was! Size 10 US. Thanks for your help.

E :)

Covergirl15
Sep. 28, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thank you for all of the pms and responses so far:) Any other opinions? :)

Covergirl15
Sep. 30, 2010, 05:20 PM
Anybody else? :)

JLR1
Sep. 30, 2010, 09:54 PM
The best bang for your buck will be spent overseas!

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pikeur.html?gclid=CP-dmP-Yz5ICFRwqagod4BnTGw

http://www.panache-equestrian.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo/index.html

Velvet
Sep. 30, 2010, 11:31 PM
Did a Eurofit, never was right even though it was custom ordered/sized. Bought a Pikeur this year, and love it. Fits perfectly--right off the rack. It was less expensive than the Eurofit and fits better. Huh, wish I'd gone with it in the first place!