PDA

View Full Version : Scariest thing at a show

Big_Grey_hunter
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
What is the most frightening thing you/your horse has had to deal with at a show?

II'll go first. This summer at the Penn state horse show, I was warming up for the children's. In the food area, one of those big tent things suddenly got caught by the wind. The bloody thing shot a good 15 feet straight up and HUNG there floating for a while, before crashing into the ground and rumbling as it was rolled around. My good pony danced in circles with his eyeballs popping out, but didn't bolt. Unfortunately, he refused to turn his back on that area, so we had to move me later in the division so he could chill.

Fun Size
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:32 PM
At the Camelot show up in Newhall this March, it was REALLY windy. So windy that the shade tent right by the side of the ring finally blew over, right into the middle of the ring while I and a bunch of other riders (in the 2' division!) stood in the line-up, facing it as it happened.

We were all on great horses, so no one really bolted....until....

As I was turning Max away from the flying tent while they got it out of the ring, while we were pointed towards two verticals, the wind gusted again and the jumps, complete with standards, flowers, and poles blew over about 6 feet in front of Max's nose! That was enough for him, and he spun around and took a quick canter to the other side of the ring. Not a dangerous bolt, but more of a "ok, I've had it, I'm saving us both!" move. I agreed, so I just steered him to the empty, safe side of the ring. He basically stopped on his own once we were "out of danger." The judge was cracking up, because it was so obvious Max was trying to save us :lol:

AndNirina
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:37 PM
Ah, Camelot. Always fun goings on there. A deer wandered into the upper arena last weekend. Not scary, but...

fourmares
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:35 AM
Water trucks, an albino peacock, an elephant (yes, an elephant!), roller coasters, a farris wheel that came up over the tops of the trees at one end of the arena... especially nifty in the night class... a marching band. There was an 7.9 earthquake once while I was holding a horse in the line up at Jr. Grand Nationals.

BoysNightOut
Sep. 25, 2010, 01:11 AM
Cows. Lots of them. Lots of mooing. It was apparently very traumatizing to the mare I was on. :lol:

JUMPERROUND
Sep. 25, 2010, 08:06 AM
Llamas!

PNWjumper
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:55 PM
Well, aside from the usual stuff (cows, llamas, chickens, tents blowing over, etc.) since all of that stuff seems to happen somewhat regularly (not that it's any less scary when it happens!)....

One of the main horseshow venues up here is adjacent to an airport. I was sitting on a green-as-grass horse (as in less than 60 days under saddle) when a plane came in right overhead....anyone who shows in Monroe knows what I'm talking about. Right overhead as in you feel like you could reach up and touch the landing gear! It scared the ^*%# out of my mare and she decided to get herself as close to the ground as possible and went into "crouching tiger" position :lol: Thank god she wasn't a bolter! But that kind of falls into the "everday" category too.

The scariest horseshow thing for any of my horses was at a show last summer. The show director decided to hire a helicopter to do some aerial photos of the show as horses were going. Talk about a clusterf*** of poor planning. He didn't realize they would bring a 5' long bright yellow remote controlled helicopter and then buzz the ring while horses were going. That stupid helicopter (piloted by someone who knew absolutely nothing about horses) buzzed my green OTTB as he walked into the ring for the miniprix causing him to full on bolt down the length of the arena. The controller then buzzed us again and my boy bolted again complete with some bucks. The whistle was blown for us to start and I started assuming they would not come close again. The helicopter buzzed us between fence one and two and my horse bolted (AGAIN :sigh:) and basically bolted through fence #2 before finally gathering his wits about him and pulling it back together (at this point they grounded the helicopter). Totally frustrating that it was in the miniprix with the $250 entry fee that I might as well have lit on fire (and sitting on my horse who hadn't touched a rail all week). I spoke to the show director about it and his comment was, "Those are just the breaks at a horseshow, I guess you should spook-proof your horses better." Um, excuse me? I'm still mad about it. But it was interesting that it's the only thing he's ever really spooked at in our 3 years of showing. Good to have a baseline of what it takes to undo him!

ktm2007
Sep. 25, 2010, 01:59 PM
One of the main horseshow venues up here is adjacent to an airport. I was sitting on a green-as-grass horse (as in less than 60 days under saddle) when a plane came in right overhead....anyone who shows in Monroe knows what I'm talking about. Right overhead as in you feel like you could reach up and touch the landing gear! It scared the ^*%# out of my mare and she decided to get herself as close to the ground as possible and went into "crouching tiger" position :lol: Thank god she wasn't a bolter! But that kind of falls into the "everday" category too.

!

ah....FUNroe :) Yes, the airplanes can be a bit scary there. That show has it all....This year at their May show (maybe it was the April one...) They had the airplanes, the bulls next door for the fair, and the ever so loud racecars. One of my AO Hunters already was having trouble with the fishbowl ring, and the cows sent him over the top. On top of that, their trash cans are painted like cows, so the schooling arena with the trash cans lining the ring was extra fun for me :lol: Poor guy was convinced that there were cows hiding under each jump....so he was jumping everything like it was 5 feet :eek:. I wished I had a seatbelt......

makeasplash
Sep. 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
My horse would see something like and elephant and go hide in his stall!

I haven't seen anything to scary with the big boy yet but with my pony we used to go to Ludwigs Corner and they always had those blow up bouncy tents and slides which, while they sway in a breeze and can be huge, also include small children running and screaming. Pony was not a fan.

Nootka
Sep. 25, 2010, 02:39 PM
mini horses:eek:!!!!!

Sparky Boy
Sep. 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
The schooling ring......:eek:

snaffles
Sep. 25, 2010, 03:01 PM
At the Virginia Horse Center, a young girl tied her horse to the sliding stall door~
the horse somehow spooked, yanked the sliding door right off the track and took off with it. Broke her leg before she could be caught.
Sad lesson learned that day, awful, awful.

bhrunner06
Sep. 25, 2010, 03:08 PM
I was schooling for the High Schoolings in the covered ring in KY (we all know how TINY that schooling ring is). There were WAY too many horses in the schooling ring to begin with (probably close to 15 in that dinky thing.)

Was heading to my last fence before showing...4ft square oxer, i was on take off and a girl walked on the back side of the jump. It was impossible to be able to stop, i was on take off as she was still behind the jump, I SCREAMED at her, everyone around screamed at her!! i did the hardest, biggest opening ein and landed JUST behind her horses butt.

It was the scariest jump of my life. I thought FOR SURE we were going to land on top of her and the horse. when I landed and stopped, she looked at me and said "Oh, was I in your way" NO YOU DUMB SH*T!, not at ALL! I did not almost kill you, your horse, me and my horse!

Lowered the jump to get one more good solid confidence building jump in before showing, come around and the SAME GIRL did it AGAIN!!! Thank God I was 2 or 3 out that time and had time to stop, I screamed at her, my trainer screamed at her, steward came over and made her leave the ring and had to go last in the class when no one else was in the ring because she was simply just not safe to be around.

The girl was insane. i could have easily seriously hurt her, her horse, me or my horse. and to do it a 2nd time?

PNWjumper
Sep. 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
That show has it all....This year at their May show (maybe it was the April one...) They had the airplanes, the bulls next door for the fair, and the ever so loud racecars.

Ah yes, the April Jumper week had a carnival next door (not sure if it was there during the preceding hunter weeks?). That was a first! I saw more than one horse more than a little leery at the end of the covered schooling ring where you could just make out shapes and sounds of carnival rides and carnival goers. I had my gelding in the Grand Prix on Sat. night and the car races were going full force on one side of the showgrounds and people were wandering in from the carnival with balloons and sitting in the stands with them. That definitely proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that my boy's spook-less-ness is priceless!

ktm2007
Sep. 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ah yes, the April Jumper week had a carnival next door (not sure if it was there during the preceding hunter weeks?). That was a first! I saw more than one horse more than a little leery at the end of the covered schooling ring where you could just make out shapes and sounds of carnival rides and carnival goers. I had my gelding in the Grand Prix on Sat. night and the car races were going full force on one side of the showgrounds and people were wandering in from the carnival with balloons and sitting in the stands with them. That definitely proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that my boy's spook-less-ness is priceless!

Yes, I believe it was the April show. One year we were there (maybe for Octoberfest....years ago) They had a haunted house set up in the parking lot behind the schooling ring. That was fun too :winkgrin:

I'm glad we didn't have the balloons wandering in to the stands. That FOR SURE would have sent my poor guy over the edge! He has enough trouble with the "bobbing heads" next to the ring when people are walking in there:lol: Needless to say we will be doing every monroe show possible to get over the spooky fishbowl ring!

blackcat95
Sep. 25, 2010, 06:30 PM
Not to me, but to another rider from our barn...

It was really windy one year at a biggish local show held at a fairground, so there was no ring- just a grass field with tape around the outside to make a ring. The jumps weren't the most stable ever because the footing wasn't super smooth, and it was super windy. Inevitably, the jumps started falling. But the scary part was they were falling while she was in the ring jumping her course. We were so afraid one of the jumps was going to blow over while she was over it... thankfully that didn't happen, but it was still :eek:

HenryisBlaisin'
Sep. 25, 2010, 06:53 PM
Those insidious RIBBONS!

My horse is terrified of ribbons-you can;t hand me one while I'm on his back as he goes in to panic mode.

Oh and the horse eating flowers they decorate the ring with. Seriously. Barking dogs, screaming children, cows, helicopters, golf carts, tents...he doesn't care. But ribbons are another story.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Sep. 25, 2010, 10:10 PM
Once had a rainbow colored 8' beach umbrella go rolling across the arena while I was on course. My old steady eddie couldn't have cared any less. I was irritated that they blew a whistle and stopped us when it came to rest in the corner out of my way. He was a little hard to get moving and I had to trot circles in the middle of my course (jumpers) while I waited for the jump crew to fix this non-issue.

I also jumped over a cat in Oklahoma this summer. I suppose it was some feral cat that lived there... it was hiding under an oxer as I jumped it. Then as we land the cat decides it's not in a good place and goes running across the area.... and my horse was very worried indeed after that.

Regala
Sep. 25, 2010, 10:30 PM
Cows. Lots of them. Lots of mooing. It was apparently very traumatizing to the mare I was on. :lol:

my daughter's b/w paint pony was terrified of cows.
especially b/w sort. to get by the ones that lived down our road. i used to ride beside so pony would just "bounce" off my horse when he spooked.

but funniest thing was first show she took him to, he saw a *GASP* b/w paint horse that looked JUST like him in the warmup ring. he threw a fit.

he was just fine with tents blowing across a ring, in fact he took ours from the back yard when the kids had it set up for a sleepover, and tore it up for "fun".

Go Fish
Sep. 25, 2010, 10:58 PM
What is the most frightening thing you had to deal with at a show?

Pony moms....:lol:

Thanatos
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:20 PM
Minis pulling carts. My horse was fairly sure his life had come to a screeching halt when he saw the first group whiz by.

Lucinda
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:31 PM
I live in Australia.. so scariest thing for me was a dirty great big Kangaroo that decided to join in the Jumping...

iEquitate
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:40 PM
II'll go first. This summer at the Penn state horse show, I was warming up for the children's. In the food area, one of those big tent things suddenly got caught by the wind. The bloody thing shot a good 15 feet straight up and HUNG there floating for a while, before crashing into the ground and rumbling as it was rolled around. My good pony danced in circles with his eyeballs popping out, but didn't bolt. Unfortunately, he refused to turn his back on that area, so we had to move me later in the division so he could chill.

I was handwalking a horse when that happened... I was talking with someone and didn't even notice it until horse was yanking me off the ground!

Besides that, maybe the crazy jumper girl I saw at one of my shows who took two strides out in every line.

Big_Grey_hunter
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
I was handwalking a horse when that happened... I was talking with someone and didn't even notice it until horse was yanking me off the ground!

Was that the horse that got loose? I remember at least one horse got loose, but he didn't get very far.

FlyingSwap
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'll second the llamas! Horse #1 is NOT A FAN. :lol:

Yesterday, we parked at a day show and pulled all our stuff out and these people pulling this freaky trailer parked next to us (it looked like a slaughterhouse trailer---you know, with all the holes all over the sides). The horse had been shipped with a saddle on (...... :rolleyes:) and was literally having. a. fit. the ENTIRE day. I'm not sure when it actually came out to be ridden, because it seemed to be on the trailer all day (parked right in the sun. In 95 degree heat.). The entire trailer was rocking, the horse was screaming its head off, pawing, striking, kicking, bouncing around.....and the owners were kicked back in lawn chairs in front of the truck occasionally yelling "STOP IT!"....like that was helping. I was very grateful to a horse show buddy who offered one of her stalls for my guy to chill in...since the show ran about three hundred hours longer than it should have. ;)

Another thing that always terrifies me: loose horses at shows. Galloping madly with reins flapping. Never good.

And a final thing: Once at this awful backyard schooling show, these people rolled up with a mare and her approx. 3 month old foal. The mare was supposed to be showing...so they tied the foal to the side of the trailer in a nylon halter and took the mare to the ring with a child on her! Of course the foal had a fit and reared and thrashed and the mare had a fit and got excused from every class they tried to put her in. It happened about 3 times before they gave up. Horrifying.

iEquitate
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
Was that the horse that got loose? I remember at least one horse got loose, but he didn't get very far.

No, but I think my horse was considering that option.

Just remembered another from that same show... A random chestnut horse was found in the parking lot? It took them like three hours to find the owner.

Horseymama
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:20 PM
One year at Indio we arrived at the show grounds around 9pm to do night check during a wind storm and found that one of the huge tents that have like a hundred stalls in them had blown down WITH the horses in there! It was like a scene from Black Beauty, people running in and grabbing whatever horses they could and horses being let out of the stalls with blindfolds and horses running loose everywhere. We ended up catching a bay gelding that was loose and putting it in an empty stall near us and we fed and watered him for 3 days before the show office could figure out who owned him!

The funniest was when I was doing the 1.20 jumpers in Canada and a Jack Russell ran into the ring and chased me and my horse for the last five or six jumps of the course! It actually made my slow horse go faster! The show manager came up to me afterward and apologized profusely for the disruption, which I accepted graciously. (I didn't mention that it happened to be my very own Jack Russell!)

Big_Grey_hunter
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
No, but I think my horse was considering that option.

Just remembered another from that same show... A random chestnut horse was found in the parking lot? It took them like three hours to find the owner.

I remember that one as well, if we are thinking of the same horse. They used my halter on the horse! I was wondering how it took the owner that long to realize they were missing a horse

equidae
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:27 PM
The first show ever with the TB mare I used to have, in the middle of my course I was going down the diagonal when a HUGE and very low flying jet went over head, casting an enormous shadow over us completely and was DEAFENINGLY loud! I seriously thought she was going to freak out and kill us both- but literally that mare didn't bat an eye! I was shocked.. and we even
won the class!

Come to find out, we were just a few miles from an AFB. Figures!

equidae
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:29 PM
And a final thing: Once at this awful backyard schooling show, these people rolled up with a mare and her approx. 3 month old foal. The mare was supposed to be showing...so they tied the foal to the side of the trailer in a nylon halter and took the mare to the ring with a child on her! Of course the foal had a fit and reared and thrashed and the mare had a fit and got excused from every class they tried to put her in. It happened about 3 times before they gave up. Horrifying.

That's so sad... poor baby.

equidae
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:36 PM
I also jumped over a cat in Oklahoma this summer. I suppose it was some feral cat that lived there... it was hiding under an oxer as I jumped it. Then as we land the cat decides it's not in a good place and goes running across the area.... and my horse was very worried indeed after that.

Oooo.. I've done that too.. except we hit the cat! Cantering down the long side in a flat class a cat leaped from the other side of the entrance door leading to the stalls in the barn, straight down under my mare's cantering legs and was SWUNG up into the air and about 10 feet sideways ;) Mare shockingly didn't care and stupid cat flew off to the other side of the arena.. apparently unharmed. I was so startled I screamed. Dumbest thing ever, that cat should have looked before she leaped!

Jasper'sMom
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Peacocks. Wandering around the show grounds. My 4 yr old OTTB was like: :eek:

ET's Home
Sep. 26, 2010, 08:56 PM
Many years ago I took my Saddlebred around the western NY fair curcuit. One can see a lot of odd things at county fairs (cows, goats, racing pigs..). At the Erie county fair the stakes class was at night at the same time as the Demolition derby. I think my little man thought it was pretty cool, he was snorty and all up but trotting right up into that bridle - yes we won. However while at the Cattarougus (sp?) county fair, we were schooling in the ring the night before. Show ring was on the far side of the track from the midway and grandstand so thought I was safe. Well, next thing you know, the announcer in the grandstand asked everyone to give a big round of applause for Miss Tonya Tucker. Of course the grandstand broke out in cheering and cameras flashing (a lot of country fans in western NY). I thought my horse was going to implode, never felt a horse tremble and shake this even 20 years later.

Needless to say 'Delta Dawn' still gives me the willies (NOT a country fan here).

ET

gottagrey
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:09 PM
When I used to show sidesaddle - we would hit all three of the indoor shows - Harrisburg, International, then National and every single time we got stalls we were always right next to the Budweiser hitch stalls - those big horses, big harnesses and Big wagon scared the bejaysus out of our sissy boy horse.. the mare on the other hand - liked flirting w/ those Clydes :lol::lol:

On another note - probably the scariest was twice at 2 different shows for whatever reason the trainers (different trainers too) decided to tie a horse up to the fence... well something startled the horses they pulled back breaking the fence and then went careening around the trailers and show grounds dragging the fence with them... fortunately no one or horse got hurt but it could have been a disaster..one of the reasons why my trainer never likes to keep horses tied up outside... you never know when a loose horse might create havoc

SimonandGus
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:32 PM
Paint ponies for my horse. My poor mare was stunned into a halt when one went walking by the schooling ring. She couldn't take her eyes off it!

For me, definitely the show moms =D

Calvincrowe
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:00 PM
Hot Air Balloons. Silent invaders bent on sucking up and taking every pansy horse on the show grounds (that would be mine!).

Ring crew "disappearing" into the woods next to the ring, and making sudden reappearances at random times, terrifying to the baby greens having a go in that ring.

Thunder and lightning of biblical proportions one year in Bend, OR, complete with grape-sized hail. My poor TB and I were as far from our stalls as possible on the showgrounds, all warmed up and ready to go in. We made a run for the nearest shelter--the farrier's tent (maybe 12 x 12?) and huddled up there, me still on him!!:eek: He danced and piaffed, but never left the tent, with me clinging to his neck as the tent wasn't that tall, and I wasn't risking getting off him. It was pretty short lived and I did my round on a course still completely white with hail. Good times! Got a good ribbon too, as the judge (who never left his booth) was impressed with my horse who jumped really, really well that time;)

Sing Mia Song
Sep. 27, 2010, 05:51 PM
Not really frightening, but one of those things you can't quite believe while it's happening: At Nashoba Valley HS in Massachusetts back in the late 80s, a little wind kicked up and turned into a twister right beside the ring. It picked up some polo wraps and lifted them up, spun them around and set them back down again. We all just watched it happen, open-mouthed. Twisters are not exactly a regular occurrence in New England!

meupatdoes
Sep. 27, 2010, 06:17 PM
I spoke to the show director about it and his comment was, "Those are just the breaks at a horseshow, I guess you should spook-proof your horses better."

That is completely ridiculous!

I once politely expressed disappointment to a show manager who had personally hollered, "EVERYBODY FREEZE, NOBODY MOVE!" into a ring while a hack class was going on, causing my hackrider to to, you know, halt. Oh but whoops everyone should have known she was actually screaming at the jump crew, right?

She tried to explain to me that my horse, who hadn't placed lower than second in a hack class for the entire circuit and was going for points (why else would I have a hack rider for my second horse?), wasn't marked down for breaking gait. The judge understood, she was sure, and it didn't play any part in his decision.
Yeah, he was just 6th out of 6 all of a sudden behind the same horses he had been handily beating all season.

QM2
Sep. 27, 2010, 07:47 PM
I haven't seen anything to scary with the big boy yet but with my pony we used to go to Ludwigs Corner and they always had those blow up bouncy tents and slides which, while they sway in a breeze and can be huge, also include small children running and screaming. Pony was not a fan.

Yeah, I was there when the giant, blow up, purple, gorilla bounce got blown away and tumbled down Rt. 401.

MANY loose horses from that. I swore off that show from that day on. It's ALWAYS the 1st cold and windy day of the year so all the horses are up anyways.

Andrew
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
Finding all 8 jumps!!!!

ktm2007
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I was there when the giant, blow up, purple, gorilla bounce got blown away and tumbled down Rt. 401.

MANY loose horses from that. I swore off that show from that day on. It's ALWAYS the 1st cold and windy day of the year so all the horses are up anyways.

The visual on this one alone is hilarious! I giggled outloud, and my husband responded: "You definitely are NOT doing your homework!" :lol::winkgrin:

trinityhill
Sep. 28, 2010, 12:11 AM
For Spuds, my green-bean this year:
1st show- The flying horse-eating judges stand and judge. (Spuds was sure her and her evil stand were sizing him up for dinner.)
2nd show-The horse-eating green rolltop, that looks nothing like his at home. (Oh wait... that is...it looks exactly like his at home) and also having his mean mom leave him with a horse-eating working student, who he has never seen before (that he sees every few days) while she goes and coaches one of the students in the other ring.
3rd show-A tent with horse-eating tables under it set by the side of the ring for a luncheon... (they were clearly going to eat whoever jumped over the brush fence first at those tables.)
4th show-Kid with horse-eating lady bug pillow (saw that one coming from a mile away, kid was carrying it walking around the warm-up ring, thought to myself "That kid is going to find some way to give my horse a heart attack with that." Sure enough, just as we were trotting by kid launches it above his head, and Spuds tears across the warm-up ring...)
5th show- Horse-eating camera because he has never had his picture taken while showing... (Oh wait.... that is he always has his picture taken while showing...)
6th show- The huntsmen tearing out of the show ring to catch a loose horse during a flat class at our local hunter trials, caused canter transitions to be the scariest thing ever. Because if he canters he will have to go out of the ring and into the horse-eating woods too... would be a much better idea to just leap into the air instead of canter.
Needless to say it has been an interesting year thus far with the Spudly... nothing is ever the most scary thing ever consistantly... Spuds likes to change it up at every possible opportunity just to make sure I don't get bored or anything. It really is very considerate of him. =)

Simbalism
Sep. 28, 2010, 01:03 AM
One of the local venues for hunter shows used to be the fair grounds. They always had other activities going the same time that horse shows were there. So the list of lovely activities were a poultry show with rows of birds in cages flapping and escaping right near the end of one of the rings. A chili cook off with a helicopter landing about 30 feet from the end of the ring and sitting with the prop still spinning. That was actually one of my mare's first shows(glad my trainer was on her). They had to stop the class and my mare fell asleep. Another time they had a battle of the bands and had a hot air ballon giving rides, so it would be on the ground and then go up and then come back down. Another time I had a jump blow down right as I was heading toward it.

Skyline
Sep. 28, 2010, 01:12 AM
Seeing my sisters horse bolt past the ring riderless and hear people shout to call an ambulance because a horse had freaked out in the warm up ring and flipped over backwards on its rider. Scariest moment of my life. It was at a schooling show and for some reason there was not an ambulance on site.

Across Sicily
Sep. 28, 2010, 01:56 AM
My scariest moments all include driving classes. I used to show Morgans/ASBs/Arabs and there have been some incredible accidents...

The scariest one I saw was Morgan Grand Nationals years ago. Young horse class; I forget the exact age, maybe 3yos? Pleasure driving. Horse freaks out, goes off bucking, dumps his driver, leg over shaft, etc etc. Ends up plowing through Center Ring. Those of you who have shown or been to the OKC Fairgrounds know Center Ring is sunken in to the ground, permanent, and stuffed full of people - judges, secretaries, the announcer, organist, ribbon presenters, and a zillion other people. When horse has finished this mayhem he started heading for other horses presumably for comfort. Crashed into my trainer at the time's cart (which he was not in) and through some MIRACLE by the person heading the horse they managed to get out of the way before he crashed into the horse himself. Very, very scary. Driving classes scare the cr*p out of me... so many accidents that under saddle would stink but not be catastrophic.

There was another where a horse was exiting after winning a World's Championship, driver misjudged the out-gate width, and crashed her cart right into the side. Shaft on the cart somehow managed to go through the horse's shoulder. I can't remember if he was OK or not. His driver certainly wasn't.

SmartAlex
Sep. 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
Fireworks being let off behind the warm-up ring. Not little ones. The "largest county fair in America" type.

mkt
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:16 AM
Years ago at one show, a bigger one with public exhibitions, lots of shops etc., and right by the pony ring was a GIANT jumping castle. Scary enough as is, half way through the day the motor had malfunctioned in some way and the castle popped and started deflating. Felt really bad for the girl that was in the ring, but was thankful that it was out of air and out of sight by the time my pony had to go in the ring.

At the same show a couple years later they had a Birds of Prey show running a couple times a day. I get nervous enough for my horse when tiny birds are hanging out around the rings, let alone giant ones that have talons and are advertised as 'predators', so I was staying clear of that side of the show for my own good. About half way through the day they have a big announcement saying that one of the birds of prey has escaped and is flying overhead the show. They continued in saying that it was 'no big deal' but to keep small dogs and other animals close by as they birds might mistake them for prey. Needless to say, it was not a fun few hours.

FineAlready
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:30 AM
Seeing my sisters horse bolt past the ring riderless and hear people shout to call an ambulance because a horse had freaked out in the warm up ring and flipped over backwards on its rider. Scariest moment of my life. It was at a schooling show and for some reason there was not an ambulance on site.

It gave me chills to read this. I can only imagine how terrified you must have been. I hope your sister was okay.

FineAlready
Sep. 28, 2010, 11:40 AM
Ohh, I thought of one. In the late 80s/early 90s, someone was dragging the upper ring at Chagrin Valley Farms and somehow fell off the tractor.

At CVF (at least in those days - not sure what it is like now) - there was one huge "lower" ring that was divided into two hunter rings, and then there was an "upper" jumper ring. There was a big railroad-tie bank separating the upper ring from the lower rings, so a huge drop off - basically, when you rode in a lower ring, the legs of the horses in the upper ring were roughly at eye level (for a little kid on a smallish horse). Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe someone else who has seen it can explain it better.

Anyway, guy dragging upper ring fell off the tractor, which then drove itself off the bank and into the lower rings...while short stirrup kids (me!) were schooling. I fell off, along with about a bazillion other little kids. Lots of terrified loose horses running around. Tractor actually continued to drive for quite a while (amazingly!) before finally stalling.

Ah, memories.

HGem
Sep. 28, 2010, 02:43 PM
I always seem to be working with green horses and babies and not at big show grounds....so it's always the dreaded flowers, photographers, judges in gazebos type thing that we deal with. It took me a while to get my one horse over smaller horses (thank goodness hes only 15hh!) Solution? We bought a mini :D

I once had one of the best rounds of my life at a show and as I'm doing my curtousy circle for my second round the looming storm broke lose with rain and lightning/thunder. I did a quick dismount and tried jogging my horse back to the trailer....he ended up dragging me most of the way there. I think what REALLY scared him, was that everyone else was running around like nuts, he was like "whats going on?!?!?!".

The schooling ring and trainers scare me the most though. People just don't care. I love when I shout my lines and people WALK right through them. Or trainers who think they own the place. Gah. Personally I don't think anyone on foot should be allowed in a schooling ring - but I guess that won't happen till I run my own show :)

leilatigress
Sep. 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
Scariest:
1. Seeing a girl miss her second barrel and hook her leg on the outside of the arena. Broken leg and concussion to the girl. Horse slammed into the side of the arena but was okay
2. Having my girth strap break on the way home from the third barrel and losing my saddle. I literally jumped the horn of the saddle and let it fall off. Best riding I have ever done. Was a very interesting sliding stop though.
3. The Circus had done a small stop over at the barn we were showing at that weekend. Complete with lions and bears. Little mare was find with the elephants and the monkeys but the lion roared right as she went over the jump. She went bucking and that little kid did some serious sticking and rode it out. They could not convince that little mare to jump again.
4. Having my gelding plow into a trailer at a full run. He was dead on impact.

kkmggn
Sep. 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
garden state 2010. one of the tents the horses stay in blew over it was actually really scary.

alpmorgans
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:00 PM
My scariest moments at horse shows have also been with driving classes.

Two years (maybe three?) years ago at Morgans Grand Nationals, in the Amateur Park Harness Classes (huge 4 wheeled carts, horses trotting with their knees almost hitting their face). The shaft (or axel?) i dont know for sure but something broke, which caused the cart to flip up and slam into the wall like a flyswatter, smashing its driver into the wall. The other shaft stabbed the horse, who took off, dragging his driver between the wall and the cart all down the long wall. The cart finally tipped all the way over when the horse had to dodge another hitched horse. Horse was fine, just some minor cuts and scrapes and totally shooken up. As for the driver, I have no idea. It didnt kill her, but she was taken away unconsious in the ambulance.

The scariest one I saw was Morgan Grand Nationals years ago. Young horse class; I forget the exact age, maybe 3yos? Pleasure driving. Horse freaks out, goes off bucking, dumps his driver, leg over shaft, etc etc. Ends up plowing through Center Ring. Those of you who have shown or been to the OKC Fairgrounds know Center Ring is sunken in to the ground, permanent, and stuffed full of people - judges, secretaries, the announcer, organist, ribbon presenters, and a zillion other people. When horse has finished this mayhem he started heading for other horses presumably for comfort. Crashed into my trainer at the time's cart (which he was not in) and through some MIRACLE by the person heading the horse they managed to get out of the way before he crashed into the horse himself. Very, very scary. Driving classes scare the cr*p out of me... so many accidents that under saddle would stink but not be catastrophic.

I remember that one. Baby driving horses are always scary.

purplnurpl
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:04 PM
death.

a freak accident resulting in the death of a beloved rider/Mom and the care flight chopper landing right next to your stall.

Sally O'Connor was pretty scary too. She gave me a 1 and made me cry. I was riding Novice.
Not crazy about her.

fivesocks
Oct. 1, 2010, 10:15 AM
The funniest was when I was doing the 1.20 jumpers in Canada and a Jack Russell ran into the ring and chased me and my horse for the last five or six jumps of the course! It actually made my slow horse go faster! The show manager came up to me afterward and apologized profusely for the disruption, which I accepted graciously. (I didn't mention that it happened to be my very own Jack Russell!)

heheheh :)

ForTheLoveOfHorse
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
In Kentucky for the KY Summer Classic, my junior hunter was in his "turnout". Another barn decided it was their turnout (even though there was a sign on it with my name.. it had been paid for... was definitely mine). I walk out to check on horse 20 minutes after turning him out, and he is gone and replaced by another horse. I freak out, report to horse show office, who is NO help. Horse is found in a deserted tent in a stall on limited/no shavings, and certainly no water. Found out who did it-- was a big name barn. I"m sure it was a groom who had instructions to turn a horse out and didn't want to disappoint trainer but STILL! Now we padlock when we rent turnouts!

Darkstar
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:03 AM
Warm up rings!

I hate them.

A couple of years ago I was at a local show. A girl I had known from Pony Club and beyond was there with her huge black TB. TB was was a SAINT, and since this girl was a bit crazy, he suited her well. She is careening around the warm up area (with no trainer there btw), which is inside a 5 foot tall metal ring. A couple riders at this point have asked her to be considerate of their space + jumps, but she takes no notice. She sees her dad at one end of the ring, and races her horse over to meet him. Instead of slowing down, she tries to pull a stunt and use the fence to stop her horse. Horse is so damn honest that he thinks she wants him to jump. He does, catches his front end on the solid metal fence, flips head first, she goes under him...

No one died. I still cannot believe it.

Pretty much why I think trainers and parents should control their young riders in ANY warm up ring.

ktm2007
Oct. 1, 2010, 12:31 PM
Warm up rings!

I hate them.

A couple of years ago I was at a local show. A girl I had known from Pony Club and beyond was there with her huge black TB. TB was was a SAINT, and since this girl was a bit crazy, he suited her well. She is careening around the warm up area (with no trainer there btw), which is inside a 5 foot tall metal ring. A couple riders at this point have asked her to be considerate of their space + jumps, but she takes no notice. She sees her dad at one end of the ring, and races her horse over to meet him. Instead of slowing down, she tries to pull a stunt and use the fence to stop her horse. Horse is so damn honest that he thinks she wants him to jump. He does, catches his front end on the solid metal fence, flips head first, she goes under him...

No one died. I still cannot believe it.

Pretty much why I think trainers and parents should control their young riders in ANY warm up ring.

Wow....that girl and horse are very very lucky...

ctab
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
At a local unrated H/J show a girl riding a horse that had been in at least 3 previous divisions that hot July day was doing the last jumper class. The rider must have misjudged the takes off or the horse was too tired to care. (deep sand, young, out of shape horse) He missed his distance and crashed through the jump flinging the rider in front of him. She stands up with blood pouring from her mouth. The horse stands up as well and is shaken up but fine. I am pretty sure I said "You got what you deserve" but I really felt for the poor horse. They tried to make him do a courtesy jump with the trainer but his confidence was so blown they barely got him over a small Xrail. :mad:
Seeing a horse rear repeatedly on course then finally go over backwards. No one was hurt, thankfully.
Seeing another horse break away from the trailer and go careening around a local horse trial, while dressage, jumping and 2 ppl on the CC course are all going. The rider saunters after her horse as everyone else is running to corral him. "Oh, he'll come back to the trailer", she said :eek:
Seeing the SS ring AND warmup a few unfenced yards away from the RR tracks. Granted not much train traffic on a Sunday but this place has shows on Wed. too. Haven't seen a wreck there as every time I've gone the horses and ponies are well behaved and acclimated to it but still....Otherwise it is a well run show.
Did not see it but heard about a horse you kicked both back legs over the back door of a 2 horse BP trailer. And was not wrapped behind.
H/J show. Crazy warm up ring. Nervous (at rated show) student on nervous horse. Schooling my student over a diagonal line with a one stride on the out. Student calls line several times, goes for it when it looks clear, is in the one stride and pulls out as someone canters behind of the last fence, taking the opposite diagonal. I yell at rider to no avail. HATE group warm ups!! Glad she learned "Whoa" means RIGHT NOW!
And my fav wasn't really scary... Going to a Hunter Pace with a big group from the barn I was boarding at. We are all on a huge stock trailer that holds like a zillion horses. Driver feels a thump and pulls over to a school parking lot. Unloads the horses, inc. mine, until we see....
Dottie the school horse leopard App (really mostly white with a hideously placed set of spots) laying down in the trailer. The horses next to her were all trying to press away from trampling on her. She was lying in manure of like 12 horses, calmly eating fallen hay. Apparently, she did not like trailering standing up and liked to lay down! Driver gets her up. You don't want to know what one side looked like! UGH! And continue on to HP. She "dried" on arrival. No hose to wash off with! She had her winter coat in as it was Nov. too.EWWW!
Glad I wasn't her pace partner!

jetsmom
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:47 PM
A a show in Tucson one year, a tiny girl on a white pony was walking around the warm up arena, while people are jumping. Little girl looked like she was only capable of walking and maybe a little trot, though unstable. Trainer was no where around.
Pony was walking along the rail when a water truck drove by on the outside of the ring. One of my barnmates was cantering to a jump set up about 15 feet off the rail. Pony spooked at the truck, and darted into the landing side of the jump, dumping the little girl (as my friend's horse left the ground) right where a horse's front feet would land. My friend's horse was such a good boy and literally twisted over the jump to avoid landing on the little girl. The hoofprints were about a foot from where her head was in the sand.
I've never seen my trainer so freaked out. We all honestly thought the little girl was going to have a crushed skull. My trainer tracked down the other trainer and royally chewed her out for having an unsupervised beginner rider in the warmup area.

quietann
Oct. 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
My scariest moments at horse shows have also been with driving classes.

Two years (maybe three?) years ago at Morgans Grand Nationals, in the Amateur Park Harness Classes (huge 4 wheeled carts, horses trotting with their knees almost hitting their face). The shaft (or axel?) i dont know for sure but something broke...

Well, I might not help the impression of Morgan Grand Nationals here, but one of my friends was showing her gelding in a carriage class there a few years ago, and a PIGEON flew out from the tail of the horse in front of her. Poor gelding; he's a seasoned show horse, used to everything, but that just blew his little mind.

jetsmom
Oct. 1, 2010, 07:07 PM
Well, I might not help the impression of Morgan Grand Nationals here, but one of my friends was showing her gelding in a carriage class there a few years ago, and a PIGEON flew out from the tail of the horse in front of her. Poor gelding; he's a seasoned show horse, used to everything, but that just blew his little mind.

Ohh, that's nothing...Friesians have been doing that with Butterflies for years!

EqTrainer
Oct. 2, 2010, 08:56 PM
Mules.

AHorseSomeDay
Oct. 2, 2010, 09:22 PM
A few years ago at a horseshow in Westbrook I was walking by the hunter ring when a horse and rider crashed through the fence. The rider hit the ground and was still for a while. Scariest thing I ever saw especially since it happened as I walked by.

At a schooling show, watching all the out of control riders almost running into one another during warm up. Yikes :eek:

Eye in the Sky
Oct. 3, 2010, 01:53 AM
A tornado.

Someone was smart enough to go turn on their truck radio when some of us more familiar with the damn things were noticing the tell-tale cloud formation and began to speculate that he conditions were prime for one - the person came running to the judge who told the announcer who then YELLED into the intercom system that a tornado had been spotted nearby and the show was over, go HOME!:eek:

Without untacking the horses or doing any "normal" prep, we loaded the horses and headed in the opposite direction of the storm and waited it out before heading home.

I can handle hurricanes any day, but do NOT send me a tornado! :mad::no::cry: That is one of the worst things I can think of. I hate them with a passion. Very few things scare me to the point of tears - that is one of them.

RugBug
Oct. 3, 2010, 02:02 AM
Well...this wasn't at a show, but it did just happen today.

My trainer was finishing up her ride on her horse by trotting up the one hill we have on the property. About 3/4 of the way up the hill, there is some huge Pampas Grass (http://www.oasishorticulturalconcepts.com/Blooming_Pampas_Grass.jpg). Horse spooks (as many of them do at Pampas Grass, spins and spins her back legs right off the edge of the trail. Horse/rider slid about 30-40 feet straight down. Rider managed to climb out, but horse was S-T-U-C-K in heavy brush...much of which is poison oak. Fire crews came out, cut a diagonal path down to the horse and she ended up being able to walk out, but man...was it scary.

goeslikestink
Oct. 3, 2010, 03:55 AM
What is the most frightening thing you/your horse has had to deal with at a show?

typical have known that to happen afew times as not being secure enough good on your pony for just looking

Lucinda
Oct. 3, 2010, 04:37 AM
typical have known that to happen afew times as not being secure enough good on your pony for just looking

Im sorry, but... Huh?!

Eye in the Sky
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:36 AM
Lucinda, GLS has a bit of an LD - please do not be alarmed - she knows her stuff and if you read enough of it, you'll get the gist of it. ;)

JackieBlue
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:44 AM

Um, probably the time that I wore my canary Harry Halls in the mid 80's and realized all too late that canary was sooooo last decade. :rolleyes: Can we say "horrified"? :lol:

JackandMo
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:58 PM
For me - I concur with the previous "pony moms."

For my horse - not at a show, but at the AHA Beach Ride last year, the massive draft mules pulling a cart, dressed up as ghosts. He didn't spook, but rather stood there with a total WTF look on his face. The draft mules had the same look too. He doesn't spook at shows, or rather, hasn't yet!! Didn't even spook in the warm up at his first big show when I had him go under the massive crane (indoor) fixing the lights.

equidae
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:48 PM
My scariest moments all include driving classes. I used to show Morgans/ASBs/Arabs and there have been some incredible accidents...

\
Was there a video of this on youtube by any chance? I feel like I've seen this online.