PDA

View Full Version : USEF 4 yr old test

JMurray
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:16 PM
I do not know a lot about this test and wondered how they are ridden. I hear you should show off your horse and not worry about mistakes except to be accurate on the pattern.

I know there is a different scoring for them.

I also know the different schools of thought on if young horses should do these tests. But that is not what I am wanting this thread to be about. Not the preparation or the should you or shouldn't you...just actually riding the test at a show and how different would you ride it versus one of the regular tests.

Anything you can share if you have done these classes before?

Thanks!

-Jill

JMurray
Sep. 25, 2010, 01:59 PM
Bump

No one that can give some pointers from first hand experience?

joiedevie99
Sep. 25, 2010, 04:23 PM
A little bit of playing, and momentary lapses in submission seem to be forgiven with the 4 year olds, so I've seen them ridden with a bit more forward gait than one might otherwise attempt.

CHT
Sep. 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
I was very impressed with the judging of the four year old tests I watched this year. The judges seemed to be accepting of some youthful mistakes and lack of precision. They did not tolerate riders who asked too much of their horses though, and chastized riders for asking for too much collection or lengthening; they wanted the horse ridden in a way that was suitable for its build and training level.

I think as long as you respect the training scale and your horse's limitations, the judges will look past the training limitations to look for the potential and correctness of the young horse and its training.

I only saw warmbloods competing though. I am interested to hear what the judges have to say when we bring our non-warmblood to the ring next year.