PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for helmet replacement

Treasmare2
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:57 PM
What are the guidelines for replacing helmets that have not sustained a fall. My day to day helemet is a GR8 that has been well used and sweated in for about three years? I know to replace the helmet after a fall that involves a hit to the head but it has also occurred to me that simple age and use no doubt causes some break down to the structure of the helmet. I would think that sweat could compromise the structure to some degree. I have other helmets that have only been used in the show ring...would one of these be safe to cycle into daily use? One is a GR8 that is also 3 years old but used very little and one is a year old Ayr8 with very little use. I am sure hoping I don't have to toss two in the garbage but am thinking the daily use GR8 is likely a candidate for tossing. What have folks heard about the life of a helmet and what would you suggest I do?

indygirl2560
Sep. 25, 2010, 01:50 AM
I remember hearing something about replacing "no fall" helmets after 5 years. I just recently retired my IRH that was 6yrs old but looked brand new and didn't have any falls(at least none where I hit the helmet). I plan on keeping my current Charles Owen helmet for 5yrs as long as it doesn't look atrocious or have any major falls. IMO, your helmets are still safe to wear.

BoysNightOut
Sep. 25, 2010, 02:09 AM
I've heard from most that every 5 years it should be replaced, if not in an accident.

Jaideux
Sep. 25, 2010, 06:38 AM
For some reason I have every 3 years stuck in my head, but I could be wrong. There is an official ASTM thing written somewhere, but my 30 seconds of Googling didn't yield anything.

An important thing to remember is that the clock starts ticking as soon as the helmet is finished. If it was made in 2000, you should have replaced it in 2005 (going by the 5 year rule those above me think it is), regardless of the fact you may have bought it in 2002. And, anything to weaken the integrity means you should shave a little off that, too.

I had a helmet that I left in the back seat of my car, in the sun, exposed to the hottest heats and the coldest colds. I didn't wait the full 5 years to replace it, because I was storing it in ways that weakened the structure.

joiedevie99
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
5 years after the manufacture date as printed on the inside label, or anytime you fall, leave it in a very hot car for a decently long time, or drop it on the ground.

Hampton Bay
Sep. 25, 2010, 03:28 PM
5 years after the manufacture date as printed on the inside label, or anytime you fall, leave it in a very hot car for a decently long time, or drop it on the ground.

Yep! And probably a bit sooner if you live in FL, where it is absurdly hot most of the year.